Baylor MIS department

5,368 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by curtpenn
Alfred Anchorsen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My kid attended Baylor. He/she recently got a job in Texas with a company that shall remain anonymous. During the interview with the CEO, the CEO stated that Baylor is known as having a crappy MIS department. Not very technically challenging at all.

Why is that? Why does Baylor let this department continue with such a reputation? It's know in the business world, at least in Texas, as not very good. Why aren't steps being taken to correct it?
No Longer Gold
Where did the "CEO" go to school?

Therein lies your answer.
Malbec
Ramsower.
Stranger
What is MIS?

Does the whole world now speak in acronyms?
I'm a Bearbacker
Edmond Bear
Alfred Anchorsen said:

My kid attended Baylor. He/she recently got a job in Texas with a company that shall remain anonymous. During the interview with the CEO, the CEO stated that Baylor is known as having a crappy MIS department. Not very technically challenging at all.

Why is that? Why does Baylor let this department continue with such a reputation? It's know in the business world, at least in Texas, as not very good. Why aren't steps being taken to correct it?

It probably starts with the term MIS. The entire world calls it "IT" but Baylor has been trying to drive the term MIS since the 80's
Stranger
I still don't know what it means
I'm a Bearbacker
No Longer Gold
M orons
I n charge of the "United" Campaign
S uck
Stranger
DubDub said:

M orons
I n charge of the "United" Campaign
S uck

Exactly!
I'm a Bearbacker
BaylorGuy314
Stranger said:

Management Information Systems
KEBasketball
BaylorGuy314 said:

Stranger said:

FWIW - Stranger still doesn't know what it means...

- KEB
Oldbear83
BaylorGuy314 said:

Stranger said:

or the Ministry of Imaginary Sciences
Oldbear83
KEBasketball said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

Stranger said:

FWIW - Stranger still doesn't know what it means...

- KEB
It means don't forget to give the head of IT his bonus, or your email will become spam-only for a week.
Gold Tron
Malbec said:

Ramsower.
Ramsower is the Minister of Incompetent Services
Redbrickbear
Baylor has never taken IT and Engineering as seriously has it should or could have.

I mean UT, aggy, Tech, Houston.....all are turning out engineers with good petroleum degrees and well paying jobs. I don't know why we let ourselves fall behind. Same with IT.

Oh and of course this CEO could just be from a rival school who likes to talk crap.
Stranger
BaylorGuy314 said:

Stranger said:

Thanks
I'm a Bearbacker
Alfred Anchorsen
DubDub said:

Not really. The CEO is correct. Baylor has fallen behind. Just wish they would fix it.
Edmond Bear
Alfred Anchorsen said:

DubDub said:

Not really. The CEO is correct. Baylor has fallen behind. Just wish they would fix it.

You act like technology is some kind of big deal for the future or sumthin'.
SMack
Edmond Bear said:

Alfred Anchorsen said:

DubDub said:

You act like technology is some kind of big deal for the future or sumthin'.

I agree.

I think this computer fad has finally run its course.
william
#JavelinasCode

- BUmma

{ sipping coffee }
Fetterman2024
Pea Weevil
I don't know if Baylor's MIS is still as weak as when I attended Baylor (1982-19866) but I earned a Computer Science degree and noted that almost everybody that failed miserably as a freshman in my program popped four years later with an MIS degree and a very high GPA. I took a 4000 level Cobol class over there and it was ridiculously easy compared to the 1000 level Computer Science courses I had taken.

I don't know if the Baylor MIS program is any better worse than anybody else's MIS program however I wouldn't hire anybody with that degree because they possess virtually no useful computer programming or mathematical skills.

I always found it amusing that the business majors were allowed to earn their college math credits without a single Calculus class however I did have to empathize with the elementary education majors majors who were required to take multiple Calculus class that they obviously would never use as teachers. Many of them weren't able to pass the Calculus classes and unable to finish their intended degree plans.

Pea Weevil
SSadler
Pea Weevil said:

I don't know if Baylor's MIS is still as weak as when I attended Baylor (1982-19866) but I earned a Computer Science degree and noted that almost everybody that failed miserably as a freshman in my program popped four years later with an MIS degree and a very high GPA. I took a 4000 level Cobol class over there and it was ridiculously easy compared to the 1000 level Computer Science courses I had taken.

I don't know if the Baylor MIS program is any better worse than anybody else's MIS program however I wouldn't hire anybody with that degree because they possess virtually no useful computer programming or mathematical skills.

I always found it amusing that the business majors were allowed to earn their college math credits without a single Calculus class however I did have to empathize with the elementary education majors majors who were required to take multiple Calculus class that they obviously would never use as teachers. Many of them weren't able to pass the Calculus classes and unable to finish their intended degree plans.

Pea Weevil
Back in the day I took 2 physics + 2 Trig classes--both of which ended up as not necessary when I came back for grad studies in Theology. I still have NO CLUE where "f of x at y" IS, much less what it's doing there.

But if whatever/wherever f of x at y is helps you get to a better place intellectually, then I hope God blesses you REAL good--for sure!
Edmond Bear
Pea Weevil said:

Pea Weevil

Calculus is not required because it does not add any value to the majority of Business majors. Most of us did have to take Statistics if that makes you feel better.
CSIBear
Alfred Anchorsen said:

DubDub said:

So the CEO is correct that Baylor has a crappy MIS degree but it isn't so bad he wouldn't hire your kid? Or did your child get a different degree and the CEO brought up the crappy MIS degree completely out of the blue in the interview?
Mitch Blood Green
They hired him even though his credentials suck?
william
Pea Weevil said:

Pea Weevil
we had to take Mgmt Calculus - aka Calc Lite.

And MIS != Comp Sci - esp in the mid 80's.

- BUmma

I do recall 1st semester (Fall 83) Prof Hulme doing GW Basic (ISY 1305??) in class.... No one in class had a clue what he was doing ...

And that computer lab in the Hankamer basement.....
Fetterman2024
Redbrickbear
Edmond Bear said:

Pea Weevil said:

Pea Weevil

Calculus is not required because it does not add any value to the majority of Business majors. Most of us did have to take Statistics if that makes you feel better.

We had to take business Calculus.....very similar...some kids I knew said it was a little easier than the regular Cal
BaylorTaxman
Yep, business majors need credit for both pre-calculus and calculus. However, they can take the business version of each. You can receive credit for pre-calc if your SAT or ACT scores exceed a certain level.
Alfred Anchorsen
CSIBear said:

Alfred Anchorsen said:

DubDub said:

So the CEO is correct that Baylor has a crappy MIS degree but it isn't so bad he wouldn't hire your kid? Or did your child get a different degree and the CEO brought up the crappy MIS degree completely out of the blue in the interview?
He liked my kid and said he could train he/she.
Gold Tron
BaylorTaxman said:

Yep, business majors need credit for both pre-calculus and calculus. However, they can take the business version of each. You can receive credit for pre-calc if your SAT or ACT scores exceed a certain level.
I don't think this is correct. The only way you can get CREDIT is from a 4/5 on the AP exam depending on the class. Baylor does require a math placement exam. This determines your starting point for required math classes. You can skip some classes but you do not get credit. I'm not trying to split hairs here but there is a big difference in getting credit and not having to take a class.
D. C. Bear
Pea Weevil said:

Pea Weevil
I was a couple years behind you, but I don't recall any calculus requirements for elementary ed majors, or any elementary ed majors in my calculus class.

I clicked on this thread because I didn't know what MIS meant. Now at least I know what it stands for, if not what it actually involves.
TechDawgMc
My experience at La Tech was almost the same as Pea Weavil's. (Same time period). It was a weak version of CS. It shouldn't be. Most MIS today is concerned with managing IT, system analysis, data management, etc. although I think there's value in knowing how to program, it's not what MIS people are prepping for

That said, I have no real feel for what the BU program is doing.
william
Redbrickbear said:

Edmond Bear said:

Pea Weevil said:

I don't know if Baylor's MIS is still as weak as when I attended Baylor (1982-19866) but I earned a Computer Science degree and noted that almost everybody that failed miserably as a freshman in my program popped four years later with an MIS degree and a very high GPA. I too

We had to take business Calculus.....very similar...some kids I knew said it was a little easier than the regular Cal
... and what was with that weird "Arby's Test"(AT)? I mean the 3 AM knock on the dorm door and the address inside the envelope. "Within 72 hrs..." and all that nonsense.

I complied - sure as heck did. As DID WELL ALL.

And like No One - and I mean No One - else knew or saw anything. Yeah Right!!!

Anyway I kept the receipts.

All these years later.

- KKM

BID.
Fetterman2024
Media Bear
tommie said:

Happens all the time. Especially if it's someone -- or someone's daddy or momma -- that they just happen to know.

If a relative, even more frequently still ...
CSIBear
Media Bear said:

tommie said:

Happens all the time. Especially if it's someone -- or someone's daddy or momma -- that they just happen to know.

If a relative, even more frequently still ...
Yeah, this is how it usually works. It's never been what you know but who you know.
curtpenn
Malbec said:

Ramsower.
I took a couple of classes from Ramsower back in the late '70s. At that time, if I recall correctly they were in the process of relabeling all of the "Statistics" classes as "Quantitative Analysis". Anyway, Reagan was one of the "cool" profs you could go have beer with (legal age was 18 then). Pretty sure one of the classes was during a summer session when things were pretty relaxed. Yeah, he had longish hair and Fu Manchu style mustache, too. Lot of fun and I learned a lot. One of my favorites from Hankamer days. Sad to see how things have turned out.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.