Pier fishing in Port Aransas

4,432 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by quash
Banned BarleyMcDougal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anybody got any recs or tips? I'd hit up the jetties but my dad's in his 70's and can't get out there.

Also, can somebody fill me in on what an "endorsement" means from TPWD? I've got a freshwater license already. Can I just buy a saltwater endorsement for a day trip?
PartyBear
Probably not much help here because we just go down there for the beach. I thought they had little trips you could book there that go out a few miles for big game fishing though. Not sure of the cost. I think there are other areas you can just fish off the wall to the channel that boats pass through to dock in the town.
BaylorGrad&Dad
Hi, Barley:

First of all, you're a GREAT son to take your dad fishing!

Yes, you'll need a saltwater endorsement (sometimes called a 'stamp'). Think of it like this: You can hunt deer, etc., but unless you have a migratory bird endorsement ('duck stamp'), you can't hunt ducks. Just go to any place that sells licenses, and you can get the endorsement quite easily.

Pier fishing can 'get your fishing fever' down, but you'll also catch a lot of trash fish like hardhead catfish. If your dad can navigate a pier, how about taking him out on a party boat for the day instead? The two business that specialize in those trips are Dolphin Docks and Deep Sea Headquarters. Both operations are good, but between the two, I'd recommend Deep Sea. Going offshore will eliminate most trash fish, and you'll have the opportunity to catch something big.

Tight Lines!

P. S.: Remember, The Tug Is The Drug!
mtbmarc
I usually do the jetties when I fish gulf side. I don't know any specific piers to fish but you should be able to locate some using google earth. The packery channel jetty is not nearly as treacherous as the north jetty. I would look at that. Also, the inland portion of the packery channel has a parking lot alongside the channel and you can fish from there. I caught a nice bull red there a few years ago. You should be able to see it on google earth.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Unfortunately I don't have reqs outside of Galveston, where there are two great piers to fish from. Agree on getting a ton of croaker in that area, but I enjoy catching anything willing to fight, ie. not actual trash. Enjoy your trip
Jokerman
If you're having to settle for piers... Bob Hall Pier on N. Padre Island is your best bet. Horace Caldwell in Port A will do, but the water there can be murkier, and the trash fish more pronounced.
The Packary jetties are less daunting than the S or N jetties, but the drawback is that the the walkway is well off the water, which can leave the rocks in play. Seen good fish caught off there, but just scout it first and see if that's what you want. The channel there, as previously reported, can be productive, and there are places to park and stand that aren't difficult to access.
Not sure if Charlie's Pasture Pier has been rebuilt after Harvey. Backside of Port A was hammered by Harvey -- the pier and seawall were just ravaged. They may have rebuilt. Again, might do you some good to just scout around (if you have the time.)
The abovementioned offshore options are always a good idea. Agree that Deep Sea HQ is the better of two options. But Dolphin is just fine, as well.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
Thanks for the info guys!
LIB,MR BEARS
PM redfish. He may be able to help.

WarfCat and ScatCat are nice options if he can do a day trip on a boat
deemus
Consider the Packary Channel jetty. You can drive right up to it. It is concrete all the way to the end. Handrails on both sides.

Lots of slot reds caught out there. Good fishing overall. Took the fam there one summer and we caught 8 different kinds of fish.
YoakDaddy
Jokerman said:

If you're having to settle for piers... Bob Hall Pier on N. Padre Island is your best bet. Horace Caldwell in Port A will do, but the water there can be murkier, and the trash fish more pronounced.
The Packary jetties are less daunting than the S or N jetties, but the drawback is that the the walkway is well off the water, which can leave the rocks in play. Seen good fish caught off there, but just scout it first and see if that's what you want. The channel there, as previously reported, can be productive, and there are places to park and stand that aren't difficult to access.
Not sure if Charlie's Pasture Pier has been rebuilt after Harvey. Backside of Port A was hammered by Harvey -- the pier and seawall were just ravaged. They may have rebuilt. Again, might do you some good to just scout around (if you have the time.)
The abovementioned offshore options are always a good idea. Agree that Deep Sea HQ is the better of two options. But Dolphin is just fine, as well.

I fished the Packery jetty (Port A Mustang Island side) a few weeks ago. It was more crowded than I thought it would be at daybreak to 8:30am. Caught a few on shrimp but no keepers. The problem I had fishing on channel side vs gulf side was getting line caught on the concrete pieces. Looks like it had quite a bit of Harvey wave damage, too. It's a much easier jetty to fish than the north jetty in Port A proper.
LIB,MR BEARS
YoakDaddy said:

Jokerman said:

I fished the Packery jetty (Port A Mustang Island side) a few weeks ago. It was more crowded than I thought it would be at daybreak to 8:30am. Caught a few on shrimp but no keepers. The problem I had fishing on channel side vs gulf side was getting line caught on the concrete pieces. Looks like it had quite a bit of Harvey wave damage, too. It's a much easier jetty to fish than the north jetty in Port A proper.
I have fished Packery in June and July with mixed results. I've been told that if you hit it in the fall, after the first couple of cold fronts, that it is pretty good. I haven't had a chance to do that yet
deemus
YoakDaddy said:

Jokerman said:

A 12' rod helps a lot with getting hung up.
LIB,MR BEARS
deemus said:

YoakDaddy said:

Jokerman said:

A 12' rod helps a lot with getting hung up.

This young guy has a pretty good idea of how to fish the jetty's on either end of Mustang Island

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiv6bJXEigAbk7eUcLDXXNA
deemus
Nice. My wife caught a 45 1/2 red at the South Jetty. Mostly slot stuff at Packary. Trout should be good right now. A friend caught a 30" trout in the surf today.
william
caught a guatemalan near bob hall (no, not a cabana boy (extant or latent)) - said he had some experience in textiles.

- KKM

>>Carve away the stone (Sisyhpus)
Carve away the stone
Make a graven image
With some features of your own<<
dave714
Port Arkansas is terrible. The dirtiest water in Texas.
LIB,MR BEARS
dave714 said:

You are just not going to the right places then. While the water in the Aransas area doesn't look like the water further south, there are few things that can beat fishing the shoreline of Lighthouse Lakes on the Lydia Ann Channel side with a moving tide, wading the pot holes on the south side of Traylor Island or the firm sand bottoms of St Charles bay. Unfortunately, none of those things I listed involve pier fishing.
YoakDaddy
dave714 said:

Galveston says hello.
quash
Mitch Deane, great guide out of there.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
LIB,MR BEARS
quash said:

Galveston or Port A?
quash
LIB,MR BEARS said:

quash said:

Galveston or Port A?
Port A, Corpus Christi. this time of year he does fish n shoots for dove.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.