Golf in the Waco area

2,767 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by whitetrash
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm going to be headed to Waco in a couple of weeks and will play some golf while I'm there.

Does anyone have any recommendations for courses in Waco or the nearby surrounding areas?

I haven't golfed in Waco since the mid-90s.
MrGolfguy
Sadly, Waco is now a 1 course town, that course being Cottonwood Creek (which is really nice, esp. considering its a muni). The new owners of Twin Rivers (originally Bear Ridge) stopped maintaining it about a year and a half ago and its in terrible shape, basically unplayable. Ridgewood CC is nice but its private so unless you know a member to get you on its out of the question. Lake Waco GC is iffy to bad most of the time, and Battle Lake near Mart is a decent little country course but condtion is also usually iffy. Other course in the area have closed down. Connally - closed, Western Oaks - closed, Greenbriar in Moody - closed, Bogey's Par 3 - closed.
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
boognish_bear
MrGolfguy said:

Sadly, Waco is now a 1 course town, that course being Cottonwood Creek (which is really nice, esp. considering its a muni). The new owners of Twin Rivers (originally Bear Ridge) stopped maintaining it about a year and a half ago and its in terrible shape, basically unplayable. Ridgewood CC is nice but its private so unless you know a member to get you on its out of the question. Lake Waco GC is iffy to bad most of the time, and Battle Lake near Mart is a decent little country course but condtion is also usually iffy. Other course in the area have closed down. Connally - closed, Western Oaks - closed, Greenbriar in Moody - closed, Bogey's Par 3 - closed.

Thank you for the detailed feedback. Looks like it will be Cottonwood.

Battle Lake is where I played most often back when I was at BU.
SSadler
boognish_bear said:

When Battle Lake was only 9 holes but at least an option back in the late 1960s, it had "sand" greens. Yep, I had never heard of much less seen such. Every green was a square depression (6"-8") below fairway level approximately 30-40 feet square. Once you rolled or flew your shot into the "green" you then had permission to take the equivalent of a sand rake and clear a smooth path from your ball to the cup. necessary since the "sand" was footprint pock marked from previous group.

Was such a strange hybrid of golf/"NOT"golf that we seldom chose it unless the old Connally Course was not available to us.

Groesbeck High School UIL Class A State finalists, 2 years 1969-1970. Good times.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
I bet Lake Waco is in pretty good shape after all this rain. It's the most scenic course when in good shape. Cottonwood is nice but overpriced for a public course - or maybe not, it IS always in good shape.
beardoc
SSadler said:

boognish_bear said:

When Battle Lake was only 9 holes but at least an option back in the late 1960s, it had "sand" greens. Yep, I had never heard of much less seen such. Every green was a square depression (6"-8") below fairway level approximately 30-40 feet square. Once you rolled or flew your shot into the "green" you then had permission to take the equivalent of a sand rake and clear a smooth path from your ball to the cup. necessary since the "sand" was footprint pock marked from previous group.

Was such a strange hybrid of golf/"NOT"golf that we seldom chose it unless the old Connally Course was not available to us.

Groesbeck High School UIL Class A State finalists, 2 years 1969-1970. Good times.
A lot of sand greens in West Texas.( Sundown and Gaines county at one time}
boognish_bear
One of the buddies in my group actually has a hook up at Ridgewood CC....so looks like we will be playing there. Looking forward to it.

Thanks for the info everyone.
MrGolfguy
SSadler said:

boognish_bear said:

When Battle Lake was only 9 holes but at least an option back in the late 1960s, it had "sand" greens.
Lots of history at Battle Lake, its the oldest course in McLennan County dating back to 1920.
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
Stranger
Ridgewood will honor a reciprocal club membership if it's with a club in their network.

Hands down it's the best course between Austin and the metroplex.
I'm a Bearbacker
boognish_bear
Played Ridgewood yesterday. Beautiful course....loved it. Only issue was 1st green was flooded from all the rain.

Looks like CMR was there too

boognish_bear
whitetrash
boognish_bear said:

Drove through Twin Rivers yesterday and course looked lousy.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.