* * Any Starck Club Folks Here?

3,847 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by quash
Assassin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Starck was a superhot club in Dallas in the 80s. Stevie Nicks was a co-owner, Philippe Starck was the designer and folks from Red Hot Chili Peppers to Grace Jones to Kid Creole and the Cocoanuts and all sort of other folks played there;

This has been another long one, we started work on this three months ago. Half a dozen trips to Greg's house, calls across the USA, sifting through tons of clips and photos - a lot of sweat equity.

There is a Share button on the bottom for Facebook and Twitter

Hope you enjoy!

'A Starck Reality' - The Greg McCone Story
https://memoriesofdallas.org/gregmccone/

Paul Heckmann
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MemoriesofDallas/
On Facebook at Memories of...
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
UPBaylor
I remember it well as I graduated from HS in 86, then off to Baylor. Had several girlfriends that were on the A-list there and while they had no problems getting in underage. I, being not nearly cool enough, underage, and without a fake ID didn't even venture over there to attempt entry. But, I heard all the stories - many of them documented in your interview here. It's fascinating to read it now as a corroboration.

The Ecstasy scene while still legal was legendary and it's interesting to hear the rumor of it in jars on the bars is apparently not true. I heard they had a big blowout the night before it became illegal.

Makes sense about the development of Dallas Alley contributing to the downfall when a more mainstream crowd started arriving in the area and spilling over to the Starck.
Keyser Soze

Robocop hung out there
Keyser Soze
Did see the infamous Grace Jones performance. She came on about 2:30 a sang atop a chez lounge lifted in the air by four very beefy body guards.

I may have been the only person there not on coke or X.

curtpenn
My wife was an accountant and personal assistant to the French gentleman (Patrick Deprez) who owned the Brewery building and who was also the Managing partner (IIRC) for the West End Marketplace building (WEMP). Interestingly, complete plans were drawn up to convert what was a rag warehouse (the WEMP structure) to condos or apartments in the early stages of development. Those plans were subsequently abandoned when they decided downtown wasn't quite ready for that sort of thing. My wife's boss came from a long line (about 200 years' worth) of French cotton brokers. He came to Dallas as a young man and officed in the old Cotton Exchange Building. Lot's of history for you there, Assassin. He married into the Esteve family who were multinational/multigenerational as well, and involved in cotton forever. Between the two families, they also developed the Market Ross building, Adam Hats, and another old warehouse in Deep Ellum which was used initially as a secured record storage facility. Almost forgot, Patrick Esquerre was initially enticed here to open La Madeleine by Mr Deprez.

A lot of foreign investors' money went into buying up old north Texas cotton farms (via connections dating back many decades thanks to the cotton brokerage business) which were typically flipped. Changes in various tax laws both here and in Europe made the formation of limited partnerships very attractive, so subsequently money flowed into a number of downtown projects here as land flipping opportunities declined. Mr Deprez was instrumental in putting together Phillipe Starck and others at the foundation of the Starck Club.

I was actually officing in the Brewery at the time of the Van Halen concert and just remember the traffic was a huge mess trying to get home - lol.
Keyser Soze

Now streaming on Amazon Prime

Assassin
curtpenn said:

My wife was an accountant and personal assistant to the French gentleman (Patrick Deprez) who owned the Brewery building and who was also the Managing partner (IIRC) for the West End Marketplace building (WEMP). Interestingly, complete plans were drawn up to convert what was a rag warehouse (the WEMP structure) to condos or apartments in the early stages of development. Those plans were subsequently abandoned when they decided downtown wasn't quite ready for that sort of thing. My wife's boss came from a long line (about 200 years' worth) of French cotton brokers. He came to Dallas as a young man and officed in the old Cotton Exchange Building. Lot's of history for you there, Assassin. He married into the Esteve family who were multinational/multigenerational as well, and involved in cotton forever. Between the two families, they also developed the Market Ross building, Adam Hats, and another old warehouse in Deep Ellum which was used initially as a secured record storage facility. Almost forgot, Patrick Esquerre was initially enticed here to open La Madeleine by Mr Deprez.

A lot of foreign investors' money went into buying up old north Texas cotton farms (via connections dating back many decades thanks to the cotton brokerage business) which were typically flipped. Changes in various tax laws both here and in Europe made the formation of limited partnerships very attractive, so subsequently money flowed into a number of downtown projects here as land flipping opportunities declined. Mr Deprez was instrumental in putting together Phillipe Starck and others at the foundation of the Starck Club.

I was actually officing in the Brewery at the time of the Van Halen concert and just remember the traffic was a huge mess trying to get home - lol.
Shoot, if you want to write an article on it, I will set you up your own page. Here is one Mary did on growing up in Oak Cliff https://memoriesofdallas.org/oakcliffgirl/

And one Kanon did on Tyra Heath https://memoriesofdallas.org/aftertyraheath/

Chelle Bovis Banks (Lou and Ann Bovis [Louann's] daughter) did most of the work on this; https://memoriesofdallas.org/louanns4/
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Assassin
Keyser Soze said:

Now streaming on Amazon Prime

I saw Michael Cain at the Pop Festival on Saturday. Forgot to ask him whatever happened to his project. It was INCREDIBLE! Larry Hagman and a host of other big names in it
Keyser Soze
I'm just nervous I might be seen in the background of one of the club shots.

Keyser Soze
Assassin
Keyser Soze said:

I'm just nervous I might be seen in the background of one of the club shots.

just don't get caught in the bathroom shots!
quash
Went there, too upscale for me. Stuck to Greenville.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
J.R.
Yes, most definitely. I was there from the beginning and saw and experienced most all of it. Rocking a Mohawk at BU in 1986 was interesting. Enjoyed evenings with Stevie Nicks, Grace Jones, Princess Stephanie of Monaco. The best night was being in the DJ box with Rick and Father Guido Sarducci ((SNL) zing our balls off!!! Loved the music that was played there. Was there the night of the exstacy raid by the DEA. Yikes!

Funny story. Fast forward to 2005 and I'm sitting in the home of a really wealthy Dallas family getting a pitch for a fundraising campaign for my kids Private Christian School and then they put on the video and I'll be damn if the testimonial was t from the owner and meistro of the Stark(Blake Woodall ). We became reacquainted at school and church. Wow! I have great times there , but there were was lots of tradgedy as some people didn't make it out post Stark. Lots of ODs and suicides of people I knew.
Assassin
J.R. said:

Yes, most definitely. I was there from the beginning and saw and experienced most all of it. Rocking a Mohawk at BU in 1986 was interesting. Enjoyed evenings with Stevie Nicks, Grace Jones, Princess Stephanie of Monaco. The best night was being in the DJ box with Rick and Father Guido Sarducci ((SNL) zing our balls off!!! Loved the music that was played there. Was there the night of the exstacy raid by the DEA. Yikes!

Funny story. Fast forward to 2005 and I'm sitting in the home of a really wealthy Dallas family getting a pitch for a fundraising campaign for my kids Private Christian School and then they put on the video and I'll be damn if the testimonial was t from the owner and meistro of the Stark(Blake Woodall ). We became reacquainted at school and church. Wow! I have great times there , but there were was lots of tradgedy as some people didn't make it out post Stark. Lots of ODs and suicides of people I knew.
cool. I was overseas for its run, but I did come back twice to visit old friends from the club biz. Wow!
Assassin

David Lee Roth and Grace Jones at special event there
quash
Assassin said:

David Lee Roth and Grace Jones at special event there
I never made the transition from leisure suit to jumpsuit.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.