* * Saying Goodbye

1,707 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by HunterBear
Assassin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Got call yesterday that someone I known for many years was dying. Dropped everything and headed to her place where hospice was. All the family was gathered round, I met folks I didnt even know where family.

I leaned over and said I was there, she grabbed my hand and smiled. A couple hours later, I left but not before saying goodbye, whispering something to her, once again, she perked up, eyes wide open, smiled and then went right back to sleep. She has been unresponsive since then - she is septic and will not recover.

I know I will have to face that again soon enough with my year old 96 year old mom that adopted me. And my 19 year old cat has failing kidneys, just like her owner.

I'm basically an optomist but today I am sad

On Facebook at Memories of...
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
BaylorGrad&Dad
Well done and well said, Paul. We all have to travel these same paths, and we are richer for that and the memories that those loved ones left for us. I'll say a prayer for you today.

R.
Assassin
BaylorGrad&Dad said:

Well done and well said, Paul. We all have to travel these same paths, and we are richer for that and the memories that those loved ones left for us. I'll say a prayer for you today.

R.
thanks brother. As we say in AA, 'let go, let God'. As happens quite often in AA, the rules are not the easiest thing to follow, but we all know they work, if you work them.
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Assassin
william
assassin is a good man.

- KKM

Fetterman2024
saabing bear
We should all have at least one friend that close. Mine is 12 years younger so I'll probably be the one on my back. Thank God for those friendships.
curtpenn
I am the resurrection and the life, saith the Lord; he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live; and whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die.

I know that my Redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth; and though this body be destroyed, yet shall I see God; whom I shall see for myself and mine eyes shall behold, and not as a stranger.

For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself. For if we live, we live unto the Lord; and if we die, we die unto the Lord. Whether we live, therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.

O God, whose mercies cannot be numbered: Accept our prayers on behalf of thy servant, and grant her an entrance into the land of light and joy, in the fellowship of thy saints; through Jesus Christ thy Son our Lord, who liveth and reigneth with thee and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen. - Book of Common Prayer
Wichitabear
May God our father wrap his arms around you and give you comfort and strength.
Assassin
we lost her at 7:05pm.

All these years I had resisted calling her one word but when I went to see her in hospice I decided that I couldnt leave this unsaid. I leaned over, told her 'goodbye Mom', she lit up, she knew exactly what had just happened. She said 'my son' and that was the last thing she ever said.

My birth sisters both called and told me that she had been hanging on just for this moment.

When you are adopted, there some variations that no one prepares you for. You have these mixed feelings that you owe your adopted parents who put up with all your crap, bailed you out of all sorts of youthful indiscretions - you know that your adopted mom is your Mom.

As my Mom never knew about her, for those that know her, I would appreciate the courtesy of leaving it that way.
Wichitabear
I just can't imagine how hard that must have been. But the joy you brought her those last moments was the thing she needed. God Bless.
curtpenn
Assassin said:

we lost her at 7:05pm.

All these years I had resisted calling her one word but when I went to see her in hospice I decided that I couldnt leave this unsaid. I leaned over, told her 'goodbye Mom', she lit up, she knew exactly what had just happened. She said 'my son' and that was the last thing she ever said.

My birth sisters both called and told me that she had been hanging on just for this moment.

When you are adopted, there some variations that no one prepares you for. You have these mixed feelings that you owe your adoped parents who put up with all your crap, bailed you out of all sorts of youthful indescretions - you know that your adopted mom is your Mom.

As my Mom never knew about her, for those that knew her, I would appreciate the courtesy of leaving it that way.
Upholding you in prayer. Blessings for your journey.
HunterBear
Assassin, you did an exceedingly wonderful thing. Difficult, no doubt, but a real blessing for her. Echo Wichitabear. Thank you for sharing.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.