Moving to NYC - neighborhood recommendations?

4,443 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Last of the Larrys
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Working on 18th in the Flatiron / Union Square area.

Considering Gramercy, Flatiron, Kips Bay, The Village. Want to walk to work, would rather be at the gym than on a train.

Am I missing obvious neighborhoods? Single, but older.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
You have my condolences, Sir. Best of luck to you.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
4th and Inches
I will ask my wife's best friend from when she was at Baylor- she currently lives in NYC... she may have some thoughts
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Stranger
I hear that Trump Tower is nice.
I'm a Bearbacker
4th and Inches
She said: hey Gruvin, those are all good options but stupid expensive too. Flatiron /Kips bay are great options especially if they are dead set on walking to work. Still stupid expensive. They can check out the upper east side for better pricing but will have to commute via train. Central Harlem too, since you'll get more bang for your buck.
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
william
good tex mex in gramercy:

https://www.javelinatexmex.com/

- tbp*

Last of the Larrys
Gruvin said:

She said: hey Gruvin, those are all good options but stupid expensive too. Flatiron /Kips bay are great options especially if they are dead set on walking to work. Still stupid expensive. They can check out the upper east side for better pricing but will have to commute via train. Central Harlem too, since you'll get more bang for your buck.

Thanks for this. Compared to Seattle it's actually not THAT much more expensive.
Last of the Larrys
william said:

- tbp*

This looks awesome. Thanks!
Pablo Fanque
william said:

- tbp*

It is not at all clear that any of these dishes include javelina. Maybe the carnitas are actually javelinitas. But the Javelina Salad for sure has no javelina at all. Why do they tease us so?
ScottS
Aren't the upper east and west sides supposed to be good? Where you can see central park?
bularry
Last of the Larrys said:

Gruvin said:

Thanks for this. Compared to Seattle it's actually not THAT much more expensive.
good point. and that's a big move. Congrats!
MIABear
Last of the Larrys said:

Working on 18th in the Flatiron / Union Square area.

Considering Gramercy, Flatiron, Kips Bay, The Village. Want to walk to work, would rather be at the gym than on a train.

Am I missing obvious neighborhoods? Single, but older.

I lived in the East Village for 5 years and loved it. But it's loud and a younger vibe. Gramercy is a more 'mature' neighborhood'. I'd consider maybe Soho too.
Last of the Larrys
All great feedback, thanks. Thinking moving from Seattle to NY during a pandemic is like jumping out of proverbial pan into also proverbial fire.
Wichitabear
Last of the Larrys said:

All great feedback, thanks. Thinking moving from Seattle to NY during a pandemic is like jumping out of proverbial pan into also proverbial fire.
I certainly hope you are doing ok. I really hope you and your family did not move to NYC.
william
larry?

- KKM

Last of the Larrys
Wichitabear said:

Last of the Larrys said:

I certainly hope you are doing ok. I really hope you and your family did not move to NYC.

Thanks Wichitabear.

I pivoted to South Carolina for a few months. Hilton Head. I really like this area. Not sure when I'll be moving north.
Wichitabear
Last of the Larrys said:

Wichitabear said:

Last of the Larrys said:

Thanks Wichitabear.

I pivoted to South Carolina for a few months. Hilton Head. I really like this area. Not sure when I'll be moving north.
I hope never. Lolol Hilton Head, great place. You and your family stay safe.
william
Last of the Larrys said:

Wichitabear said:

Last of the Larrys said:

Thanks Wichitabear.

where are my shoes?

PA.

- KKM

Last of the Larrys
Wichitabear said:

Last of the Larrys said:

Wichitabear said:

Last of the Larrys said:

Thanks Wichitabear.

I hope never. Lolol Hilton Head, great place. You and your family stay safe.

Thanks! Yours also.
Last of the Larrys
william said:

Last of the Larrys said:

Wichitabear said:

Last of the Larrys said:

Thanks Wichitabear.

where are my shoes?

PA.

- KKM

Hey Google. Translate.
william
Last of the Larrys said:

william said:

Last of the Larrys said:

Wichitabear said:

Last of the Larrys said:

Thanks Wichitabear.

where are my shoes?

PA.

- KKM

Hey Google. Translate.
shoe store chain in dallas.....

that was their tag line.

been closed for a while.....

- BUmma

{ sipping pineapple juice }

>>
http://www.city-data.com/forum/dallas/250612-larrys-shoes-still-business-3.html

Nguyen One Soon
william said:

Last of the Larrys said:

william said:

where are my shoes?

PA.

- KKM

Hey Google. Translate.

that was their tag line.

- BUmma

>>

I was like the proverbial kid in a candy store when I found Larry's. Wear a 15, and back then was down to one or two stores who could order me the same style of dress shoes. First time in a long time I could try on shoes before buying them. To make it sports related, salesman one day offered me a very nice pair for $30. They had ordered them for one of the Mavericks and he decided he didn't want them.
william
Nguyen One Soon said:

william said:

Last of the Larrys said:

william said:

where are my shoes?

PA.

- KKM

Hey Google. Translate.

that was their tag line.

- BUmma

>>

I was like the proverbial kid in a candy store when I found Larry's. Wear a 15, and back then was down to one or two stores who could order me the same style of dress shoes. First time in a long time I could try on shoes before buying them. To make it sports related, salesman one day offered me a very nice pair for $30. They had ordered them for one of the Mavericks and he decided he didn't want them.
15? chernobyl high grad?

PA.

- UL

{ sipping coffee }
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
New York City, Seattle, Detroit, Chicago, Baltimore, Los Angeles. Just so many garden spots to take my family and so little time!!! Decisions.....decisions...........LOL!!!!!
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
muddybrazos
Last of the Larrys said:

Wichitabear said:

Last of the Larrys said:

Thanks Wichitabear.

I'm also a S Carolina transplant and I dont see myself ever leaving here. I'm in Mt Pleasant and have been here for just over 3 years.
J.R.
muddybrazos said:

Last of the Larrys said:

Wichitabear said:

Last of the Larrys said:

Thanks Wichitabear.

I'm also a S Carolina transplant and I dont see myself ever leaving here. I'm in Mt Pleasant and have been here for just over 3 years.
My daughter attends Furman and I'm not sure I'll get her out of that part of the world. She's from Dallas, but love it.
muddybrazos
J.R. said:

muddybrazos said:

Last of the Larrys said:

Wichitabear said:

Last of the Larrys said:

Thanks Wichitabear.

My daughter attends Furman and I'm not sure I'll get her out of that part of the world. She's from Dallas, but love it.
Greenville is a nice city that is still small and affordable. The upstate is nice but i moved out here to live in the Lowcountry by the water. Charleston is just a great place to live. I do miss friends & family in Dallas but i don't really miss the traffic and hassle.

Wichitabear
You definitely don't need to move to New York now!
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Wichitabear said:

LOL! Yep. NYC is officially a $ hit hole city. The only thing their cops protect at this point are their morning donuts.
Malbec
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Wichitabear said:

LOL! Yep. NYC is officially a $ hit hole city. The only thing their cops protect at this point are their morning donuts.
The good news is that rents and real estate prices are dropping by the minute.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Malbec said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Wichitabear said:

The good news is that rents and real estate prices are dropping by the minute.
What brings me the greatest joy is all of these Hollywood, Ca!ifornia people are about to have their property values cut by 50 percent of more. Yes, there is a God in Heaven.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.