We are back on KERA March 16 and 19

2,262 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Dia del DougO
Pecos 45
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KERA (Channel 13 in Dallas) will re-broadcast my rockumentary, WHEN DALLAS ROCKED on March 16 at 9 pm and March 19 at 10 pm.
Tune in if you get the chance!
Here's the KERA trailer.

“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
deemus
Introduced the kids to Border Bandits a couple weeks ago. They liked it.
Pecos 45
Smart man!
Malcolm Forbes
Pecos 45
Wanted to give folks a link to the KERA screening information and the trailer.
https://www.trans-pecosproductions.com/screenings

Also, KERA is carried on cable in Abilene, San Angelo and Tyler-Longview.
Tell your friends (and enemies).
Thanx!!!
Malcolm Forbes
Pecos 45
And because you are going to be stuck indoors all night anyway, watch my show on KERA tonight at 9:00 pm!!!
Malcolm Forbes
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Will hit the dvr 3/19
BaylorGrad&Dad
Kirby, that was the 3rd time I've watched your masterpiece. Wonderful work and not self-serving.

What a time to have lived in DFW. A few questions, please:

1. Who was the most famous person you ever met?
2. Who was the most under-appreciated rock star you ever met?
3. If you could do it over, what changes would you make to your professional rock and roll life?
4. Was there anything in your NATE background that helped you at The ZEW?
5. How long did it take you to develop and compile 'When Dallas Rocked'?
6. Was there ever a rock-and-roll star that people loved, but behind the scenes was an absolute ass, or was that generally true of most of them?
7. If you could have become one of the rock stars, who would you have become?

Thank you, Sir, for being one of us.

Sic 'em.
Pecos 45
BaylorGrad&Dad said:

Kirby, that was the 3rd time I've watched your masterpiece. Wonderful work and not self-serving.

3. If you could do it over, what changes would you make to your professional rock and roll life?
6. Was there ever a rock-and-roll star that people loved, but behind the scenes was an absolute ass, or was that generally true of most of them?

Sic 'em.
Well, thanks. I'll try to answer your questions.
1. Ringo Starr (meeting a Beatle is still the top)
2. I would still say Jimmie Vaughan. The dude opened for Jimi Hendrix at 15, then sold him his wah-wah pedal!!! and Eric Clapton says Jimmie is his favorite guitar player. (BTW, Hendrix gave Jimmie his broken wah-wah pedal.)
3. I wish I would have appreciated it more. We all thought it would go on forever, or always be there.
4. I guess a love of life, and enjoying the moment.
5. I did it in three months. I felt a sense of urgency because people I wanted to interview were dying (still are)
6. Most of them were asses, but that kinda comes with the territory. If all you hear is, "Oh, you are so great!" then you believe it. Biggest ass was Steven Tyler of Aerosmith. A total dick.
7. I would have become Jackson Browne because he writes such great songs that speak to your heart. Pull out his first album, For Everyman. It still holds up well today, and HE (not the Eagles) wrote "Take It Easy", one of the all-time great songs.

Hope I didn't drone on too long.
Thanks for watching!!!

We are on the air AGAIN tomorrow, March 19, at 10:00 pm on KERA, Dallas, Abilene, San Angelo, Tyler-Longview.
Malcolm Forbes
Stranger
Pecos 45 said:

BaylorGrad&Dad said:

Sic 'em.
Well, thanks. I'll try to answer your questions.
1. Ringo Starr (meeting a Beatle is still the top)
2. I would still say Jimmie Vaughan. The dude opened for Jimi Hendrix at 15, then sold him his wah-wah pedal!!! and Eric Clapton says Jimmie is his favorite guitar player. (BTW, Hendrix gave Jimmie his broken wah-wah pedal.)
3. I wish I would have appreciated it more. We all thought it would go on forever, or always be there.
4. I guess a love of life, and enjoying the moment.
5. I did it in three months. I felt a sense of urgency because people I wanted to interview were dying (still are)
6. Most of them were asses, but that kinda comes with the territory. If all you hear is, "Oh, you are so great!" then you believe it. Biggest ass was Steven Tyler of Aerosmith. A total dick.
7. I would have become Jackson Browne because he writes such great songs that speak to your heart. Pull out his first album, For Everyman. It still holds up well today, and HE (not the Eagles) wrote "Take It Easy", one of the all-time great songs.

Hope I didn't drone on too long.
Thanks for watching!!!

We are on the air AGAIN tomorrow, March 19, at 10:00 pm on KERA, Dallas, Abilene, San Angelo, Tyler-kLongview.

I'll be dialing it up

I'm a Bearbacker
Wichitabear
I just loved this thread! Great questions!
Dia del DougO
When are you going to start working on "When Waco Rocked"?

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Pecos 45
It would be a pretty short film.
Maybe five minutes long, covering Drew Pollen, a Taurus member who promoted a concert with the great Freddy King and John Nitzinger back in the early 70s.
Would have to throw in the Red Dog Saloon, owned by Stan Farr, and was later shot and killed by Cullen Davis when he came into his mansion in Fort Worth and shot his wife, Priscilla Davis.
Lastly, it would feature the Abraxas club, that was just outside the city limits, and featured gigs by Krackerjack with a young Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Well, maybe it would be 10 minutes long.
Still not enough, but it would be pretty to think so.
Malcolm Forbes
Stranger
Pecos 45 said:

It would be a pretty short film.
Maybe five minutes long, covering Drew Pollen, a Taurus member who promoted a concert with the great Freddy King and John Nitzinger back in the early 70s.
Would have to throw in the Red Dog Saloon, owned by Stan Farr, and was later shot and killed by Cullen Davis when he came into his mansion in Fort Worth and shot his wife, Priscilla Davis.
Lastly, it would feature the Abraxas club, that was just outside the city limits, and featured gigs by Crackerjack with a young Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Well, maybe it would be 10 minutes long.
Still not enough, but it would be pretty to think so.

Actually, during my Baylor days starting in 1967, Waco was entertained at Walker's Auditorium on Clifton Street that featured shows by Aretha Franklin, Otis Redding, Sam & Dave, Joe Tex, Clarence Carter and others. Had the pleasure of seeing some of those shows. Also Jerry Lee Lewis showing up two hours late at Geneva Hall in Elm Mott only to stay on stage for about two minutes.

At Waco Hall I saw the Cowsills, Fifth Dimension, Pozo Seco Singers.

In 1971, we saw The Carpenters and Chicago at Rena Marrs McLean. Also Paul Revere & the Raiders, The Five Americans and Jon and Robin and the In Crowd at the Heart of Texas Coliseum. The next year Elton John played the HOT but I was gone by then.

It wasn't music but the HOT also hosted Roller Derby with big Joanie Weston, Charlie O and the Bay Area Bombers.

My freshman year, the back to school dance was held on top of the Farm Bureau parking garage featuring a band called Shiloh with a drummer named Don Henley, later of Eagles fame.

Whoever said Waco didn't rock?
I'm a Bearbacker
Pecos 45
I missed the shows at Walker's Auditorium but was at Baylor to see The Carpenters and Chicago at Marrs McLean Gymnasium.
BU also brought Elton John to the HOT Coliseum my junior year ("Rocketman" had just been released as a single.) Great show. Just Elton and a three-piece backup band.

But I don't recall a lot else going on in Waco in 70-74, save for that huge party out at Sefcik Hall that Wily Rayburn and some others threw. Greezy Wheels played for it, and the herb was in generous supply, as were the coeds in halter tops.

I say bring back the halter top!!!
Malcolm Forbes
Dia del DougO
As far as Waco, two words:

David. Zychek.

RIP

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.