Weber Grill question

2,972 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Edmond Bear
TechDawgMc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For those who have one is it worth the extra cost? Does it do a better job of controlling heat than most grills? Do they really last a lot longer without rusting?

Thanks
No Longer Gold
I don't really see the use of a traditional propane grill anymore.

For the money, you are better off getting a big green egg for the good stuff, and then having a Blackstone griddle for all of your quick hit grilling like hot dogs, smash burgers, etc.

As makes for some great unique outdoor meals like breakfast, stir fry, And street tacos.
midgett
TechDawgMc said:

For those who have one is it worth the extra cost? Does it do a better job of controlling heat than most grills? Do they really last a lot longer without rusting?

Thanks

I have a Weber propane grill (and a pellet smoker). My wife uses the Weber several times a week and I use it too. It is well made and very dependable. I owned two other brands before it and they were eventually discarded - one of them was expensive.

The best attributes of the Weber is the simplicity of the parts. There are few and most are very easy to replace. I've called their help desk twice. Once on the weekend in the late afternoon. A woman picked up on the second ring. She was friendly and knowledgeable and helped me solve the problem immediately.

I've had mine for 10+ years. I've replaced some common parts occasionally (burners, grates) and it is going strong.
TechDawgMc
Swart Dra said:

For the money, you are better off getting a big green egg for the good stuff, and then having a Blackstone griddle for all of your quick hit grilling like hot dogs, smash burgers, etc.

As makes for some great unique outdoor meals like breakfast, stir fry, And street tacos.
Interesting idea. The prices aren't that different. I tend to like gas for the convenience, but I have been told the Eggs are easy to get hot and very manageable. Charcoal does taste better.
No Longer Gold
I've even gotten to where the only way I do steaks anymore is to sous vide them inside, and then a quick sear to them outside on the Blackstone.

Perfect cook every time.

I'm outside doing pancakes, bacon, and eggs right now.

Won't stink up the house, easy cleanup, and nice breakfast al fesca.
midgett
Swart Dra said:

I've even gotten to where the only way I do steaks anymore is to sous vide them inside, and then a quick sear to them outside on the Blackstone.

Perfect cook every time.

Just had my Anova Sous Vide cooker delivered about 30 minutes ago. Looking forward to using it later this week.
curtpenn
I have a Bradley (puck style) smoker, Traeger pellet grill, Weber propane, and Weber kettle. My dad has a '70s vintage kamado pot (forerunner of Green Egg). They all have their uses. Weber propane is a step above some brands, but I don't know that they are that much better. The one I have now is about 7 years old. Stopped using it last year when much of the interior bits became too corroded/rusted. Mostly switched to the Traeger. Finally ordered new stainless steel grid, flavorizer bars, and lower grate off Amazon a few months ago for the Weber and now mostly use it again. The replacement parts I ordered seem heavier and better made than the OEM enameled parts.

Some thoughts:
My Traeger is a compromise - can't stay burning on low enough temp for long, slow, smoke. Can't get really hot enough to sear. Decent for stuff like brisket or pork shoulders that you can leave on longer at mid temps. Decent for salmon fillets, too.

Bradley - best for long, slow smoke like turkey. Lacking in crust formation because of low max temp. I will use it for briskets and big pieces of meat as well as peppers or vegetables I want to smoke. Can finish meats in oven or on Traeger or Weber for crispier/crustier exterior.

Weber propane - best for steaks, burgers, vegetables - anything you want to sear/grill in minimal time. Basically ready to cook in 5-7 minutes. I do almost all the cooking and probably use something outside at least 3 days per week year round.

Green egg - Outstanding results, but more time consuming. If/when I retire, I'll probably go this route when prep time is less of an issue.
No Longer Gold
Yeah, egg/Komodo take more work, the egg genius (Or similar) temperature controller is a must purchase for them.
Edmond Bear
Swart Dra said:

Any issues with keeping heat on the Blackstone if you are serving several rounds of food?

And, how long does propane last on it?

No Longer Gold
Edmond Bear said:

Swart Dra said:

Any issues with keeping heat on the Blackstone if you are serving several rounds of food?

And, how long does propane last on it?

I have a 36 inch 3 burner griddle with a couple of side burners I'll use for deep frying, or chili etc.

Only done burgers/dogs/breakfast type stuff for big groups. So quick cooks, but never have had a propane problem.

I have heard of some high wind issues. But ours is built in next to a brick wall. They make a wind shield add on thing if on an open deck or something.
4th and Inches
midgett said:

Swart Dra said:

Perfect cook every time.

Just had my Anova Sous Vide cooker delivered about 30 minutes ago. Looking forward to using it later this week.
what took so long?! You get going with sous vide and steakhouse trips become a thing of the past... i cant remember the last steak I ordered at a restaurant.

Watching Guga foods and Sous vide everything on youtube is a bit addicting to a meat lover...
Griz
Charbroil signature series with infrared plates. Not high end cost, but excellent performance.
midgett
Gruvin said:

midgett said:

Swart Dra said:

Perfect cook every time.

what took so long?! You get going with sous vide and steakhouse trips become a thing of the past... i cant remember the last steak I ordered at a restaurant.

Watching Guga foods and Sous vide everything on youtube is a bit addicting to a meat lover...
That's the kind of put down I encourage!

I'm amazed at how few people are familiar with sous vide. The few I know swear by it like you.
TechDawgMc
Griz said:

Charbroil signature series with infrared plates. Not high end cost, but excellent performance.

That's what I have now and I do like it. But it has had more trouble with rust than I like
BaylorGrad&Dad
Suggest you get a current copy of Consumer Reports. There's a very extensive article rating various outdoor grills, smokers, etc.
No Longer Gold
Griz said:

not a bad grill, but you brought a citizen eco to a submariner vs daytona debate.

They all tell time, but its just not the same.
midgett
BaylorGrad&Dad said:

Suggest you get a current copy of Consumer Reports. There's a very extensive article rating various outdoor grills, smokers, etc.
Read that the other day.

The author had one of every kind - 5 different ones. Started thinking maybe that's what I need to do!
TechDawgMc
Thanks for all the ideas. Gives me several things to think about.
Dia del DougO
There used to be some really good alternatives similar to Weber but they are getting harder to find, as grills seem to be getting made more crappy all the time.

I have one I bought at Lowe's several years ago, $50, as good as a $200 Weber grill with the ash collector. I wish I could find another just like it.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Dia del DougO
Dirk Miller at Top 50 bbq joint Miller's Smokehouse once told me he does most of his outdoor grilling at home on one of those horizontal steel drum grills you can get at HEB pretty cheap.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
bularry
I like my gas grill a lot. very convenient. I have a Weber II, so all stainless. not cheap but I love it.

don't have a sous vide set up, but that isn't as quick as a gas grill. I can get mine 600+ in 10 minutes or faster. It don't take long.

I'd like to get a good charcoal grill to use, too, because I like that flavor added but it definitely takes more time to get the charcoal good and coalish.

4th and Inches
You can get a sous vide for under $100 off amazon. Spend the 2 hours it takes cooking the steak to prep sides or hang out... if you let it go for an extra 10 minutes, not a big deal.

Grill fired steaks take timing, sous vide is forgiving- set at 135 degrees and then do something else. At the end of two hours, pull the steaks and pat them dry for the sear. Aim for about 400 degrees and typically direct heat.
Pan sear in hot cast iron works as well too. Use a high heat oil to coat the pan. Put a bit of plain or compound butter on top to finish after the sear flip.
Edmond Bear

Sous vide is mistake free cooking which allows you to focus and improve on other things you are cooking.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.