Greatest TV Westerns

1,628 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Max Quad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What are the greatest western/cowboy television shows of all time?
MrGolfguy
Gunsmoke, particularly the first 5 or 6 seasons; by the late 60s when it was in color it got hokey & silly.
SMack
The obvious ones are Gunsmoke, Bonanza, and Rawhide.

Two of my favorites when I was young were Laredo and High Chaperral. They may not be as good as I remember, but that's true of most areas of my life.

Just for the record, I like hokey and sillly.
curtpenn
The Rifleman
Paladin
Wanted Dead or Alive
Wagon Train
Nguyen One Soon
All listed so far were good. I'm partial to Bonanza since my mom went to school with Dan Blocker for a while.
Stranger
Gunsmoke . . . Mister Dillon
I'm a Bearbacker
FranchiseBear
This one originally aired on tv although not a weekly series... Lonesome Dove. Pure greatness that came close to matching the written word of McMurtry.
Mr Tulip
Nguyen One Soon said:

All listed so far were good. I'm partial to Bonanza since my mom went to school with Dan Blocker for a while.
Was gratified to see it's his son Dirk Blocker playing Det. Hitchcock on Brooklyn Nine-Nine.
TechDawgMc
Have Gun, Will Travel
The Virginian
Maverick
Knight Bear
Agree on most already on here. My tops from those listed are Bonanza, Rifleman, Gunsmoke, and Maverick (nice add!).

My only add is not a true western, but still fits the genre and a favorite growing up... Wild, Wild, West.

Also would add Alias Smith and Jones.
TechDawgMc
Knight Bear said:

My only add is not a true western, but still fits the genre and a favorite growing up... Wild, Wild, West.

Also would add Alias Smith and Jones.
Those were two of my favorite shows when I was a kid. I wanted to be Jones with the fast draw.
REvansBU71
Laramie
Any Trump

“And if you do-oo.....” - Lt. Hauk
HunterBear
Like all of these.

My favorites are Gunsmoke, The Rifleman and Rawhide. Currently I record and watch episodes of Wagon Train and Wanted Dead or Alive to see what I missed when I was kid. Some episodes of Wagon Train were overtly Christian with preaching, hymn singing and Bible reading, The Rifleman, like The Andy Griffith Show, shared life lessons at the end. The early episodes of Gunsmoke (black & white, especially the 30-minute versions), featured a politically-incorrect Matt Dillon who was very direct with flying fists. Rawhide had great character interplay. Also, a lot of these old westerns had guest actors who would go on to become very well-known in their own right.
ABC BEAR
I've always been partial to the anti-hero western, Maverick. Bret admitted he was the second slowest gun in the West....."Only my brother is slower." The premise with other western series plots was a serious situation, but never impossible. With Maverick the situation was always impossible but never serious. What other western series would allow its hero to be pursued by a love-sick camel for an episode?

The storylines and writing were excellent for the first 3 seasons but fell off after James Garner left the show.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
1. Gunsmoke I used to watch it with my grandmother on Sunday nights waiting for my parents to pick me up. Hard to believe it was over 50 years ago.

2, Bonanza Like it even more now. Ben C reminds me of my dad.

3. High Chaparral Victoria is hot.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
ABC BEAR
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

1. Gunsmoke I used to watch it with my grandmother on Sunday nights waiting for my parents to pick me up. Hard to believe it was over 50 years ago.

2, Bonanza Like it even more now. Ben C reminds me of my dad.

3. High Chaparral Victoria is hot.
Gunsmoke ran on Saturday nights until 1967(I think) and switched to Monday night until 1975. Bonanza followed by The High Chaparral was on NBC Sunday night. Bonanza was preceded by Walt Disney at 6:00 PM which made for some damn good TV watching on Sunday night. I don't think I've watched episodic TV on NBC since Hill Street Blues, LOL.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Must have been Saturday nights then. '67 is about the right year. I was in 1st grade.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.