Best mystery/spy movies

1,374 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Pecos 45
Bearitto
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We started out elementary school kids on Clue and they loved it. We added a few other mysteries (action) like Young Sherlock Holmes and some others and recently added North by Northwest and Charade.

I would welcome thoughts on other mystery/spy movies we can show the kids. Here's a list of what we've already seen:

Young Sherlock Holmes
Clue
Sherlock Holmes (RDJ versions 1&2)
North by Northwest
Charade
Spies like us
Octo*****
Dr No
Cloak and dagger
War Games
Condorman
Count of monte Christo
Never say never again
Fletch
Gold finger

Any other good ideas?

Mr. Bearitto was banned by the cowardly site owners because he stated that U.S. battleships should not be named after weak victims like Emmett Till, like Robby suggested. Apparently the site owners want a ship named in their honor some day. ;)
MrGolfguy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Top Secret!
Bearitto
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MrGolfguy said:

Top Secret!


I own it, but the Marital Aid scene gave me pause...
Mr. Bearitto was banned by the cowardly site owners because he stated that U.S. battleships should not be named after weak victims like Emmett Till, like Robby suggested. Apparently the site owners want a ship named in their honor some day. ;)
BellCountyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pink Panther
Edmond Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
R
Identity
Gosford Park

13+
Murder on the Orient Express (2017)
Knives Out
Now You See Me
The Prestige
The Illusionist

Younger Kids
Enola Holmes
Murder by Death
Nancy Drew
And Then There Were None (1945)
Rear Window
Evil Under the Sun


Oh, and Death on the Nile is coming out in 2021.

TechDawgMc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BellCountyBear said:

Pink Panther


Good choice depending on how you think about the kids. The first three movies have a very French view of sexual morality. Might just go over the kids heads since it's not explicit but it's very evident
90sBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
R due to language
Spy Game
Argo
Zero Dark Thirty

Oceans 11
Bridge of Spies
The Fugitive
Sherlock Holmes (Robert Downey Jr.)
Snowden
The Pelican Brief
Bourne movies
True Lies
Mission Impossible

Who Framed Roger Rabbit
Bearitto
How long do you want to ignore this user?
90sBear said:

R due to language
Spy Game
Argo
Zero Dark Thirty

Oceans 11
Bridge of Spies
The Fugitive
Sherlock Holmes (Robert Downey Jr.)
Snowden
The Pelican Brief
Bourne movies
True Lies
Mission Impossible

Who Framed Roger Rabbit



I cannot find True Lies online to save my life. I love that flick.

Oceans 11 may be next.

They lost interest in mission impossible but made it through the first Bourne.

I brought in Charade the other day and they were into that, so older comedic flicks they like.
Mr. Bearitto was banned by the cowardly site owners because he stated that U.S. battleships should not be named after weak victims like Emmett Till, like Robby suggested. Apparently the site owners want a ship named in their honor some day. ;)
Max Quad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Thin Man series.
Pecos 45
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes to The Thin Man and a big plug for From Russia With Love.

Favorite mystery of recent vintage is The Drop.
A bar gets robbed.
Then bad things happen.
"It's no sin to be poor, but it's damned inconvenient." Mark Twain
TellMeYouLoveMe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Spy Who Came In From the Cold and the Original Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy...
but I sure as hell know plenty of them and I talk to them a lot, including during the search. And NOTHING was leaked.
Keyser Soze
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Edmond Bear said:

R
Identity
Gosford Park

13+
Murder on the Orient Express (2017)
Knives Out
Now You See Me
The Prestige
The Illusionist

Younger Kids
Enola Holmes
Murder by Death
Nancy Drew
And Then There Were None (1945)
Rear Window
Evil Under the Sun


Oh, and Death on the Nile is coming out in 2021.


You Da Man !

Good list

The Prestige may be my favorite Christopher Nolan

Also by CN - Memento

Indi Flicks

The Spanish Pisoner
House of Games

Both by Pulitzer winning David Mamet


Pecos 45
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PS I must hasten to add the original version of The 39 Steps.
Hitchcock at his best (next to North by Northwest)

But I REALLY liked The Drop.
James Gandolfino's (sic) last flick, with a surprise ending.
"It's no sin to be poor, but it's damned inconvenient." Mark Twain
Gaiasports
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bearitto said:

We started out elementary school kids on Clue and they loved it. We added a few other mysteries (action) like Young Sherlock Holmes and some others and recently added North by Northwest and Charade.

I would welcome thoughts on other mystery/spy movies we can show the kids. Here's a list of what we've already seen:

Young Sherlock Holmes
Clue
Sherlock Holmes (RDJ versions 1&2)
North by Northwest
Charade
Spies like us
Octo*****
Dr No
Cloak and dagger
War Games
Condorman
Count of monte Christo
Never say never again
Fletch
Gold finger

Any other good ideas?


Young Sherlock Holmes, Sherlock Holmes, and Charade are my favorite movies.
Re-Mapping the Page.
REvansBU71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Keyser Soze said:

Edmond Bear said:

R
Identity
Gosford Park

13+
Murder on the Orient Express (2017)
Knives Out
Now You See Me
The Prestige
The Illusionist

Younger Kids
Enola Holmes
Murder by Death
Nancy Drew
And Then There Were None (1945)
Rear Window
Evil Under the Sun


Oh, and Death on the Nile is coming out in 2021.


You Da Man !

Good list

The Prestige may be my favorite Christopher Nolan

Also by CN - Memento

Indi Flicks

The Spanish Poisoner
House of Games

Both by Pulitzer winning David Mammet





It's Spanish Prisoner, and those are two of my favorites. All David Mamet movies are great, imo.
Any Trump
2024

“And if you do-oo.....” - Lt. Hauk
REvansBU71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not quite in the same genre we've discussed, but I would highly recommend the Jesse Stone series of movies.
The watching order can be found online.
Any Trump
2024

“And if you do-oo.....” - Lt. Hauk
Fat Daddy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Body Heat
But not with the kids!

TechDawgMc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
REvansBU71 said:

Not quite in the same genre we've discussed, but I would highly recommend the Jesse Stone series of movies.
The watching order can be found online.
Those are good, but probably both a bit slow and a bit too adult for kids
Stemperford
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TechDawgMc said:

REvansBU71 said:

Not quite in the same genre we've discussed, but I would highly recommend the Jesse Stone series of movies.
The watching order can be found online.
Those are good, but probably both a bit slow and a bit too adult for kids
Indeed! I second your opinion.
Guy Noir
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I really like:

Sneakers
The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo series
The Tunnel series
Murder on the Orient Express
Bourne Identity series
Goldfinger
Pecos 45
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Let me hasten to add THE THIRD MAN.
Orson Welles as Harry Lime, and Joseph Cotton as his "friend".
Great post-war spy/mystery with an incredible ending.
"It's no sin to be poor, but it's damned inconvenient." Mark Twain
REvansBU71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TechDawgMc said:

REvansBU71 said:

Not quite in the same genre we've discussed, but I would highly recommend the Jesse Stone series of movies.
The watching order can be found online.
Those are good, but probably both a bit slow and a bit too adult for kids


The very strong presentation of right vs wrong is the message every child should see.

Just my opinion.
Any Trump
2024

“And if you do-oo.....” - Lt. Hauk
TellMeYouLoveMe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pecos 45 said:

Let me hasten to add THE THIRD MAN.
Orson Welles as Harry Lime, and Joseph Cotton as his "friend".
Great post-war spy/mystery with an incredible ending.
Third this.

The sewer scene is brilliantly shot. I've watched it dozens of times, not sure it would be done as well today. Just impressive.
but I sure as hell know plenty of them and I talk to them a lot, including during the search. And NOTHING was leaked.
Bear8084
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pecos 45 said:

Let me hasten to add THE THIRD MAN.
Orson Welles as Harry Lime, and Joseph Cotton as his "friend".
Great post-war spy/mystery with an incredible ending.
Good choice. I caught it for the first time on TCM not too long ago. Welles as Lime goes down as one of the most dastardly villians to be put on film. Mostly shot on location in post-war Vienna, so it gives it that extra sense of realism.
Pecos 45
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Pecos 45 said:

Let me hasten to add THE THIRD MAN.
Orson Welles as Harry Lime, and Joseph Cotton as his "friend".
Great post-war spy/mystery with an incredible ending.
Third this.

The sewer scene is brilliantly shot. I've watched it dozens of times, not sure it would be done as well today. Just impressive.
A lot of folks on here are unaware of this great film, mainly because it's older, and in B&W, but if you can pull it up and watch it, you will be rewarded.

Great story, great cinematography, and great dialogue, with an incredible ending.

"100 years of peace, and all they produced was the cuckoo clock."
"It's no sin to be poor, but it's damned inconvenient." Mark Twain
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.