Changing phone companies

2,163 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by OddFire71
fadskier
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Have had ATT for 15 years...tired of the high bills...saw that T-Mobile has some 55+ plans that look cheaper...also looking at MVNO's...anyone have any experience with Mint Mobile?
REvansBU71
Formerly AT&T also, joined Mint Mobile in November.
Iffy coverage, but just paid for a year up front ($220).

Hate AT&T along with their partners-in-crime, Directv.
Any Trump

“And if you do-oo.....” - Lt. Hauk
Nguyen One Soon
Had AT&T for years. They were constantly messing up. Switched to Verizon when they were the carrier for OnStar, and have been with them ever since. They moved me to their senior plan on their own. Everything I had on regular plan for lots less money.
Liteitup
Also had AT&T for years. UPS lost a phone I had ordered, tracking said something like "at Waco terminal" through the whole ordeal. Every person I spoke to at AT&T told me it was taken care of. Every month I was charged for a phone I didn't receive. After four months I went into the Verizon store and switched. Two brand new phones, iPhone10(I think) and a Galaxy 9, plus service was less than I was paying for AT&T by a considerable amount.
Service is comparable, if not better, than AT&T in the areas I travel.
4th and Inches
Recently switched from ATT after 10+ years to Verizon

Pricing is similar due to plan choice but coverage is way better... ATT coverage was horrid for over a year and was getting worse. Got a family member who works for ATT and they said ATT was aware of the issues but never resolved them.
BellCountyBear
AT&T is just a big, bloated company that doesn't give a ***** Oh and they support texas tech!
Edmond Bear

Have been with AT&T forever and ready to switch. Terrible service, highest prices...aaaand they don't give a rip about their customers.

Looking at Mint and Metro by TMobile.

Dia del DougO
Would love to ditch AT&T for the landline phone. The company is a total dumpsterfire for customer service. but Voip phones sound like cheap crap. Not sure what viable alternative there are, can't really give up the land line and the long time phone numbers just yet.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
I have had T Mobile for years. International plan with unlimited data, texting and calls. Works seamlessly everywhere I have been.
fadskier
Edmond Bear said:

Have been with AT&T forever and ready to switch. Terrible service, highest prices...aaaand they don't give a rip about their customers.

Those are the two that I am looking at...
Dia del DougO
Cricket is great for mobile. Never have any coverage issues.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
fadskier
Edmond Bear said:

Don't know your age but TMobile has plans for 55+
Edmond Bear
fadskier said:

Edmond Bear said:

Don't know your age but TMobile has plans for 55+

Thanks but still 5 years away.
Dia del DougO
I know TMobile has beefed up their network but i would have a hard time going back to them. I had it before I switched to Cricket and could never make a call or be on one without it cutting off in between Troy and Waco.
Dia del DougO
I have been thinking about using an old phone and trying a cheap plan with Red Pocket. They get great reviews, variety of networks and eligible phones, byod, and they don't charge extra for tethering. I want an account for data because my home DSL internet is crapola and I cant get anything better here.
REvansBU71
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

I have had T Mobile for years. International plan with unlimited data, texting and calls. Works seamlessly everywhere I have been.

Limited, if you don't mind, how much $ is unlimited data w/T Mobile? I have 3gb/month, but my Tesla w/streamed music and a computer browser grinds through 3gb in a week.
Any Trump

“And if you do-oo.....” - Lt. Hauk
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
103.56 a month.

I am not sure how the cost is broken down. I think this includes the 55+ discount.
hodedofome
I put my wife on Visible and it's great. $50 for unlimited everything on Verizon's network. Let me know if you're interested and I'll send you her link so that you both get it for $40 instead of $50. The bills are completely separate but if you get 4 people to link up you can get the bill down to $25 a month.

Edit: here's the link https://visible.com/p/Savemedatmoneyy
fadskier
So I have narrowed down to

Mint Mobile....$30 month for a year and then $40 (uses TMobile network)

Visable........$40 (verizon network)
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
Ron Swanson
We switched to Tmobile last year from AT&T. We had a 20gb/month plan with AT&T for probably 6 years. Never went over on data until they said my wifes phone burned through 10gb of data in a 3 hour window overnight. Not sure if it was an Apple update or what, but from what I can tell it would be pretty hard/impossible to use 10gb of data even streaming HD in 3 hours. After 1.5 hours on the phone, they told me they would resolve it. I'm sure you've already figured out that they didn't resolve it and charged me for overages.

I've been happy with Tmobile. My service is better in my office at work. Fees and taxes are built in so no fluctuations in the bill. I do drop service in rural areas though, so not perfect.

I switched my wife over to Visible as Tmobile wasn't good at her work. It's been fine. They had some promotions when I signed up (look at slickdeals.net) and I think I paid $20 for the first month and then got $100 gift card after three months.
Edmond Bear
Edmond Bear said:

I live in a terrible cell coverage area. My area is exurban, just outside of a suburb.

If I wanted to talk on my cellphone on my AT&T plan, I had to go outside to get 1 bar of service. Polled my neighbors and found a few that were on Verizon.

I switched to Verizon and now get freaking 5G inside my house. I'm in love! I'm in love! And, I don't care who knows it!

We ended up with big Verizon and not one of the little sisters because we could trade in our old phones (iPhone 8's) for an almost even swap to an iPhone 12 pro.

TechDawgMc
Edmond Bear said:

Edmond Bear said:

I live in a terrible cell coverage area. My area is exurban, just outside of a suburb.

If I wanted to talk on my cellphone on my AT&T plan, I had to go outside to get 1 bar of service. Polled my neighbors and found a few that were on Verizon.

I switched to Verizon and now get freaking 5G inside my house. I'm in love! I'm in love! And, I don't care who knows it!

Just went through the same experience. Wasn't sure it would help, but haven't had a dropped call in two months -- as opposed to every day when with AT&T
Coke Bear
TechDawgMc said:

Just went through the same experience. Wasn't sure it would help, but haven't had a dropped call in two months -- as opposed to every day when with AT&T
I've been an AT&T loyalist from the beginning. My wife mentioned Verizon the other day. For the first time, I've finally considered making the move. I think I'm going to stop by their store here in Waco and see what they can do.

My 76yo mom has Verizon. Never drops a call and had perfect service all over Europe.

bularry
Verizon ain't cheap but we've been with them for years for the coverage area.
hodedofome
Nationwide Verizon has the best service followed by ATT. TMobile/Sprint is a very distant 3rd.

We're talking nationwide. In your particular area, your mileage may vary. It all depends on where the towers are.

Source: The CEO of Crown Castle, #2 cell phone tower operator in the US.

This is why I put my wife on Visible, it runs on Verizon.
OddFire71
Recently swapped my wife and kids to Visible. Verizon network and no overages. $100 for 4 lines. Download speeds are great.

I had my wife on Cricket for previous 8 years, Cheap, uses AT&T service, but not unlimited.

I had my kids on T-Mo for several years. Also cheap, but poor coverage compared to Verizon.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.