15th Annual Bull Sale at the 8-0 Ranch, Pecos County

2,109 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Pecos 45
Pecos 45
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Diann spent the entire day working the registration and check-out table at the McKenzie's 15th Annual Bull Sale. This was her fifth year to work it. She is out there all day long and is a real trooper.

The entire thing has become a combination family reunion and glimpse of a disappearing way of life.
Almost everyone in the Fort Stockton-Marfa-Alpine-Fort Davis region who still raises livestock was there. Many of the larger ranches have been sold to corporations who turn the property into hunting retreats for clients, but the cow-calf operators all show up for this thing.

It all starts with a full barbecue lunch for everyone who comes.

It then moves on to be a social hour as folks visit before the auction kicks off. Good to see the only other Baylor alumni (besides me!) in Pecos County, Walter Groth and his wife Janet.

(Walter played end at Baylor under John Bridgers, then was drafted by the NY Jets in 1970!)

Also good to see my "neighbors", Ernest Woodward and Warren Nutt. (They don't show it in the photo, but they are both funny guys. Crack me up whenever I talk to them. Dry wit, well timed.)

Of course it IS a bull sale auction, so let's get to the bull. These are all registered, Black Angus bulls, going for a top dollar.

Sarah and Lydia (Houston and Laura's daughters) helped the auctioneer run the show, while grandson Henry herded the bulls into the pen.

Entire affair was held inside one of their hay barns.
It's all a snapshot of life out in Texas, west of the Pecos River. Glad to be a part of it!!!

“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
Bexar Pitts
Thank you so much for posting those pictures. My late old "padnuh" Laney Cook ( Sonora's Mr. Bronco) used to love to tell Walter Groth stories. Laney thought the world of him. Great to see some of the Baylor legends upright and air breathin'!
Pecos 45
Walter is a good man who truly loves Baylor University.

He and I feel as if we are on an island sometimes. Just about everyone in Pecos County is an A&M alumn, with Tech coming in a close second. There was one other Baylor alumn in Fort Stockton that I knew, but he and his wife moved away last year.

Every time I run into Walter at a gathering in Pecos County, he usually has on a Baylor cap (unless he's wearing his cowboy hat.)
There are so many of us who are similar to him, but don't get the recognition because we are not "big donors."
But it's what I like about the "Baylor family."

We are bound together by that spot on the Brazos River.
Malcolm Forbes
Bexar Pitts
Pecos 45 said:

Walter is a good man who truly loves Baylor University.

He and I feel as if we are on an island sometimes. Just about everyone in Pecos County is an A&M alumn, with Tech coming in a close second. There was one other Baylor alumn in Fort Stockton that I knew, but he and his wife moved away last year.

Every time I run into Walter at a gathering in Pecos County, he usually has on a Baylor cap (unless he's wearing his cowboy hat.)
There are so many of us who are similar to him, but don't get the recognition because we are not "big donors."
But it's what I like about the "Baylor family."

We are bound together by that spot on the Brazos River.
Copy that on " that spot on the Brazos River." I'm still on that "spot"....have been for over 70 years..Wouldn't have it any other way. PS..I'll bet no one tells Walter to take off his Baylor cap! :-) Thanks so much for sharing your experiences of our great University and her alumni !
Pecos 45
Laney played QB when I was in my freshman year (70) at BU.
Almost helped the Bears beat Texas save for slipping down on the turf on a QB keeper.
He was also a Taurus Society member.

Did I read your post to say that he was/is from Sonora, TX?
And that he has passed away?

Interesting guy.
Malcolm Forbes
Bexar Pitts
Pecos 45 said:

Almost helped the Bears beat Texas save for slipping down on the turf on a QB keeper.

Interesting guy.
Laney passed away in early Feb,. 2016. He was 66. He was one of my closest friends at Baylor and in the years beyond. We were both members of Taurus. You have a good memory of that Texas game when the dirt got him on the keeper. He was known as "Mr. Bronco" to many in Sonora, where he played his High School ball. Many of his Sonora classmates were at his funeral in Austin,as were hundreds of folks that he had met over the years. He was a great guy, and I'll never forget just how blessed I was to have him for a friend. Thanks for remembering him.PS. As happens to Baylor classmates, we didn't stay in touch as much as we both would have liked, but I got to meet his grown children and could truly see him in them. Life continues.
william
maybe we can - as BF'ers - err, BaylorFan'ers - crowd fund a Bull?

Create a revenue steam.

PA.

- UL

... and, as always, TIA.

BID.

{ sipping coffee }

{ eating donut }

Pecos, do the maths.

and report back.

D!

Dale?
william
stud the dude out - a roving Bovine Love Ambassador.

- KKM

Dale?
william
we can pay pecos an annual 8% ORBI for housing and feed.

- BUmma
Dale?
beardoc
Ironic (or appropriate) that Sicem365 bull might fund a scholarship?
Pecos 45
Bexar Pitts said:

Pecos 45 said:

Interesting guy.
Laney passed away in early Feb,. 2016. He was 66. He was one of my closest friends at Baylor and in the years beyond. We were both members of Taurus. You have a good memory of that Texas game when the dirt got him on the keeper. He was known as "Mr. Bronco" to many in Sonora, where he played his High School ball. Many of his Sonora classmates were at his funeral in Austin,as were hundreds of folks that he had met over the years. He was a great guy, and I'll never forget just how blessed I was to have him for a friend. Thanks for remembering him.PS. As happens to Baylor classmates, we didn't stay in touch as much as we both would have liked, but I got to meet his grown children and could truly see him in them. Life continues.
Thanks for the updates. I didn't know Laney personally, but knew of him when I was at BU and through several close friends who were in Taurus.
Tickled to hear that he was from Sonora, another Wes-Tex BU alumn, of which we are few.
Sorry to hear of his passing, but it sounds like he lived a full life and had a good crowd of friends.
I've been blessed to stay in close touch with my classmates, and still see them regularly at BU games and other functions.
Waco and BU have changed since I left. Some things are the same (George's), but it has been weird seeing the city become popular because of Chip and Joanna. No diss on them, they've earned it, but I never thought that my alma mater would become hip because of people remodeling homes on a fringe cable channel.

Obviously I'm not that smart or I would have bought a bunch of run-down houses when they were cheap back in 1974.

I like my life out here on the frontier, and always enjoy it when I get back together with my Baylor buds, and gals. (Can I say "gals" without a #MeToo uprising?)

Baylor in the 70s was unlike anyplace I've been, before or since.

It was a better world.
Malcolm Forbes
Bexar Pitts
Pecos 45 said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Pecos 45 said:

Interesting guy.
Thanks for the updates. I didn't know Laney personally, but knew of him when I was at BU and through several close friends who were in Taurus.
Tickled to hear that he was from Sonora, another Wes-Tex BU alumn, of which we are few.
Sorry to hear of his passing, but it sounds like he lived a full life and had a good crowd of friends.
I've been blessed to stay in close touch with my classmates, and still see them regularly at BU games and other functions.
Waco and BU have changed since I left. Some things are the same (George's), but it has been weird seeing the city become popular because of Chip and Joanna. No diss on them, they've earned it, but I never thought that my alma mater would become hip because of people remodeling homes on a fringe cable channel.

Obviously I'm not that smart or I would have bought a bunch of run-down houses when they were cheap back in 1974.

I like my life out here on the frontier, and always enjoy it when I get back together with my Baylor buds, and gals. (Can I say "gals" without a #MeToo uprising?)

Baylor in the 70s was unlike anyplace I've been, before or since.

It was a better world.
Amen,amigo. Your words "hold much iron." Thanks for your replies..Look forward to your posts and photos from "God's Country."
Singletary63
Did Danny Poss out of Scotia, NE. show up to sell any of his Angus Bulls?
He just sold Poss Deadwood to TK Cattle out of Menard, TX. for $900K as you most likely know.
U got any Angus Bulls of Midwest caliber out your way and if so I would love to stop by one day and see them?
Singletary63
Pecos 45
All of these bulls were bred and raised on the McKenzie Ranch.
This was a sale of their bulls only, not a general livestock auction.
Malcolm Forbes
william
downloaded the catalog......

great genetic research info.....

would make mengele proud.

the super bovine.

- KKM

D!

der reichs stier!!!
Pecos 45
As long as that is applied to cattle, not humans, we will be fine!!!
Malcolm Forbes
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.