Houston Area Country Club Information

3,655 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by CammoTX
HTXBears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone have insight into the current membership information for country clubs around the Houston area?

We are considering joining a few in the surrounding area but as they are mostly private, wanted to see what sort of information I might be able to gather before formally starting down that road. Anything regarding initiation, monthly fees, assessments, junior memberships, guest policy, etc. is helpful!

I am interested in any club that people have good things to say as long as they have a golf course. In particular, we are interested in:
  • Pine Forest
  • Lakeside
  • Royal Oaks

(PS. I understand these require sponsorship or nomination, assume for the sake of this discussion that isn't an issue.)
bularry
I know virtually nothing, but here it is in an effort to be helpful.

depends on what you like... certainly Lakeside and Pine Forest more of the Memorial "established" feel. I know Lakeside has had some flooding issues recently.

Royal Oaks used to feel very "new money, young" but I haven't been around it in 5 years, so that could have changed.

I don't golf much and haven't played any of those courses in years (never played Pine Forest).
HTXBears
Thanks for the insight! I know Lakeside had to basically shut down for a while post-Harvey and I hear that has hiked rates too.

Good to know about Royal Oaks, wonder if that is still the MO.
Stranger
River Oaks
Houston Country Club
Brae Burn
If you have to ask, you can't afford them
I'm a Bearbacker
william
league city cc - actually nets out cash to you upon joining.

they make it up later on velocity and margin*.

- BUmma

* ancient southeast texas secret

BID.

{ sipping OJ }

william
re: league city cc - at your one year anniversary - if one should live that long - between the refinery pollution, the UV and the dachshund sized skeeters* - you get your own military grade respirator.

- KKM

* hell I like to never get that image of fred goldschmidt getting getting hauled off the 7th green in '88 by two of them dudes. they done synch-chro-nized their assualt - one left, 'nother right and proceeded to whisk fred away.

they found the body near the french quarter n'awlin's about 2 weeks later.

BID.

Tylerbear
River Oaks CC ( ROCC) and Houston Country Club (HCC) are the two oldest and established
Lakeside CC is Memorial area and third best with outstanding facilities

Lochinvar is pure golf
Memorial ( public course) is a joy

Houston Oaks is becoming special
Royal Oaks probably underrated
Braeburn to me is ok but overrated

Whispering Pines, BlueJack, are outstanding courses but not Houston proper
br53
Houston Country Club has some of the best fried chicken you will ever eat.
Ghostrider
Royal Oaks is a great course if you are in that area.

River Oaks is more about prestige and networking than golf. Plus I hear there is a 5 year wait list.

Carlton Woods has 2 outstanding courses in Nicholas and Fazio. Also have great networking opportunities being in the Woodlands. $50k non-equity membership and $1800 per month plus a food and beverage minimum....$150k for an equity membership

Bluejack is a great course but I hear they have financial issues. $115k equity membership and I think $1200 monthly dues

Houston Oaks has all the amenities you want (and the family) and the golf course is one of the best in Texas per DMN. Legacy Membership is $115k (non-equity) and $1000 monthly dues plus F&B minimum

Whispering Pines I have never been to, but it is always a top 5 rating in golf courses in Texas.
br53
Ghostrider said:

Royal Oaks is a great course if you are in that area.

River Oaks is more about prestige and networking than golf. Plus I hear there is a 5 year wait list.

Carlton Woods has 2 outstanding courses in Nicholas and Fazio. Also have great networking opportunities being in the Woodlands. $50k non-equity membership and $1800 per month plus a food and beverage minimum....$150k for an equity membership

Bluejack is a great course but I hear they have financial issues. $115k equity membership and I think $1200 monthly dues

Houston Oaks has all the amenities you want (and the family) and the golf course is one of the best in Texas per DMN. Legacy Membership is $115k (non-equity) and $1000 monthly dues plus F&B minimum

Whispering Pines I have never been to, but it is always a top 5 rating in golf courses in Texas.
River Oaks will be half empty in the next five years from the members I saw in there last time!
HTXBears
Thanks everyone! I noticed no one has had much to say about Pine Forest. Bad experiences or just don't know?
Ghostrider
HTXBears said:

Thanks everyone! I noticed no one has had much to say about Pine Forest. Bad experiences or just don't know?
I've never heard of it, so can't really give an opinion on it. What side of Houston do you live on? Also, depends what is your budget. Huge difference in prices for Pine Forest vs Carlton Woods, Bluejack, etc....
Stemperford
Same thoughts here
Re-Mapping the Page.
Ghostrider
HTXBears said:

Anyone have insight into the current membership information for country clubs around the Houston area?

We are considering joining a few in the surrounding area but as they are mostly private, wanted to see what sort of information I might be able to gather before formally starting down that road. Anything regarding initiation, monthly fees, assessments, junior memberships, guest policy, etc. is helpful!

I am interested in any club that people have good things to say as long as they have a golf course. In particular, we are interested in:
  • Pine Forest
  • Lakeside
  • Royal Oaks

(PS. I understand these require sponsorship or nomination, assume for the sake of this discussion that isn't an issue.)

So what did you decide?
CammoTX
Lakeside has a new clubhouse that is incredible. Course is in great shape. Head pro there used to be at Ridgewood.

Pine Forest has 27 holes and is in decent shape but a step down from Lakeside, IMO.
Stranger
CammoTX said:

Lakeside has a new clubhouse that is incredible. Course is in great shape. Head pro there used to be at Ridgewood.

Pine Forest has 27 holes and is in decent shape but a step down from Lakeside, IMO.

They list a Bill Holtz as pro. I belonged to Ridgewood for 30 years and can't place him. However, Jimmy Cunningham is the pro at Ridgewood and he came from Pine Forest.
CammoTX
Stranger said:

CammoTX said:

They list a Bill Holtz as pro. I belonged to Ridgewood for 30 years and can't place him. However, Jimmy Cunningham is the pro at Ridgewood and he came from Pine Forest.

CW Canfield is the director of golf
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.