Funeral for a friend in the Big Bend

1,799 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TenBears
Pecos 45
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I attended the funeral for Travis Roberts down in tiny Marathon, Texas. Travis was the chairman of the Brewster County Historical Commission and came from an old ranching family.
https://obits.dallasnews.com/obituaries/dallasmorningnews/obituary.aspx?n=james-travis-roberts&pid=198967835&fhid=15882
He was always a help to me whenever I had a question, and he hosted the regional Historical Commission Conference back in 2019. He was a good old guy. The old-time ranchers and his family gathered to give him a good send off.

Lots of cowboy hats and dress boots for the funeral. That's how we dress up west of the Pecos!

Ran into one of our "neighbors" from Fort Stockton. Out here anyone who lives within 20 miles of you is your neighbor.

Travis' grandson, Andrew, played "Amazing Grace" on the upright bass. I told him that was a pretty risky move, but he pulled it off nicely. I was pleasantly surprised.

When the service was over, they folded the Texas flag that draped his coffin.

After the service, we drove down to a county park called "The Post" for a celebration of Travis' life.

The Post was a former cavalry camp during the Indian Wars, known as Camp Pena Colorado. It has nice cottonwood trees and large spring. A true oasis in the desert.

Travis was a proud 1958 graduate of Texas A&M, and his family displayed his Aggie credentials.

We all sat in the shade of the cottonwood trees and listened to some great stories about Travis, then headed back home. It was a good send off to a good man, and reminded me of why I love living out here, west of the Pecos.
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
william
great send off.

well done, west texans!

- kkm
Pecos 45
I wouldn't live anywhere else.
As my late brother said, "This country doesn't look too good in the harsh light of day, but it's beautiful at sunrise and sunset."
Malcolm Forbes
Wrecks Quan Dough
Pecos 45 said:

As my late brother said, "This country doesn't look too good in the harsh light of day, but it's beautiful at sunrise and sunset."
Just need to carry a lot of water with you.
SSadler
Kirby, one of the statements (I can't cite its origin) that I have found true all these years of nearly 70 years of life is this, "When one dies, whether we know them or not, we are all somehow diminished."

Best wishes in your grieving well and healthily.
drahthaar
No better people than Old Army out TAMC.
Pecos 45
While I find many of A&M's "traditions" just odd, or plain weird, they do have a few good ones.
And almost everyone west of the Pecos is an Aggie, so I gotta get along with them.
We Baylor alums are few and far between.
(Save the Kokernots, down in Alpine)
Malcolm Forbes
KOKQB70
Thanks for sharing Kirby!
Wichitabear
Pecos 45 said:

Wichitabear
Pecos 45 said:

I attended the funeral for Travis Roberts down in tiny Marathon, Texas. Travis was the chairman of the Brewster County Historical Commission and came from an old ranching family.
https://obits.dallasnews.com/obituaries/dallasmorningnews/obituary.aspx?n=james-travis-roberts&pid=198967835&fhid=15882
He was always a help to me whenever I had a question, and he hosted the regional Historical Commission Conference back in 2019. He was a good old guy. The old-time ranchers and his family gathered to give him a good send off.

Lots of cowboy hats and dress boots for the funeral. That's how we dress up west of the Pecos!

Ran into one of our "neighbors" from Fort Stockton. Out here anyone who lives within 20 miles of you is your neighbor.

Travis' grandson, Andrew, played "Amazing Grace" on the upright bass. I told him that was a pretty risky move, but he pulled it off nicely. I was pleasantly surprised.

When the service was over, they folded the Texas flag that draped his coffin.

After the service, we drove down to a county park called "The Post" for a celebration of Travis' life.

The Post was a former cavalry camp during the Indian Wars, known as Camp Pena Colorado. It has nice cottonwood trees and large spring. A true oasis in the desert.

Travis was a proud 1958 graduate of Texas A&M, and his family displayed his Aggie credentials.

We all sat in the shade of the cottonwood trees and listened to some great stories about Travis, then headed back home. It was a good send off to a good man, and reminded me of why I love living out here, west of the Pecos.

Really pretty.
Thee University
Thanks for sharing. My 6 years in Ozona as a young boy still hold a special place in my heart.

Everybody living West of a line from Del Rio to Rocksprings to Junction to Menard to San Angelo to Big Springs on over to Andrews are the salt of Texas in my book. Great folks. Grounded. Raised right. Values. Traditions. Dependable.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
Bexar Pitts
Thee University said:

Thanks for sharing. My 6 years in Ozona as a young boy still hold a special place in my heart.

Everybody living West of a line from Del Rio to Rocksprings to Junction to Menard to San Angelo to Big Springs on over to Andrews are the salt of Texas in my book. Great folks. Grounded. Raised right. Values. Traditions. Dependable.
Well said.
Pecos 45
You cannot live out here and pretend to be someone else.
You are who you are, and everyone knows it, so no use putting on airs.
Malcolm Forbes
TenBears
Sorry for your loss. And I love your photos. I routinely fantasize about disappearing to far west texas, or further.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.