Bone in, Chick end Ribeye

5,041 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JusHappy2BeHere
JusHappy2BeHere
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've been eating this for years, but the wife is always like, "a steak house? I can make a great steak!"

which she can....

for our 36th anniversary, we went to Pappas Bros Steakhouse Downtown Houston, and got 2 apps, 2 sides and 1 steak.... I ordered up the Bone in, Chuck end Rib-eye, medium rare....

on her first bite, she said, "OK... I was wrong... I can't make this... This is the best steak I've ever had in my life."

it really is just that good.

BaylorOkie
So what am I supposed to do with this? You're killing me. I had pigs in a blanket and Doritos for dinner.
Nguyen One Soon
BaylorOkie said:

So what am I supposed to do with this? You're killing me. I had pigs in a blanket and Doritos for dinner.
Drive to the one in north Dallas. It is just as good as the ones in Houston, and a whole lot closer to you.
JusHappy2BeHere
Nguyen One Soon said:

BaylorOkie said:

So what t am I supposed to do with this? You're killing me. I had pigs in a blanket and Doritos for dinner.
Drive to the one in north Dallas. It is just as good as the ones in Houston, and a whole lot closer to you.
I'm telling you guys that haven't had one of these.... it's a life changing experience
90sBear
A lot of what will get your steak tasting as good as a high end steak house is the quality of meat you can get at your local grocery store/butcher. If they sell prime beef, you can get pretty close to steak house quality.

That being said, I have had some restaurant steaks that I know I cannot duplicate.
bobo
All about all about the meat. A quality butcher is key.
bobo
I've ordered wagyu from Lobels. Damn amazing
90sBear
bobo said:

Our HEB has had Wagyu beef from time to time.
JusHappy2BeHere
90sBear said:

bobo said:

Oiur HEB will cut me a Prime bone in 6th Rib, Ribeye... but cooking bone in is harder than boneless, so there is some art in getting that crazy expensive cut of meat to a perfect medium rare

90sBear
JusHappy2BeHere said:

90sBear said:

bobo said:

Oiur HEB will cut me a Prime bone in 6th Rib, Ribeye... but cooking bone in is harder than boneless, so there is some art in getting that crazy expensive cut of meat to a perfect medium rare

I have definitely never tried cooking that cut.
william
gotta know yer cuts of meat, gentes.......

- KKM

william
{ digesting beef stroganov }

- SLC
Keyser Soze
Wanting to duplicate the high end steak house is what got me started using sous vide.

Thick cut prime steak cook to medium rare (126) in sous vide then to super hot grill for 60-90 seconds per side.

For Christmas I got a new blow torch to use in stead of grill. Have not tried it out yet.

4th and Inches
Never tried Papas but since i like papadouexs and papasitas, i will try out the one in dallas
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
JusHappy2BeHere
Gruvin said:

Never tried Papas but since i like papadouexs and papasitas, i will try out the one in dallas

It's a really good high end steakhouse... appetizers and sides are awesome too.
LIB,MR BEARS
BaylorOkie said:

Nacho Cheese flavored I hope. Man I'm so jealous.
BaylorOkie
The only way to go.
docoso
Don't even consider going to Pappas Bros Steakhouse without trying the lobster bisque --my favorite single dish all-time from any restaurant. Many years ago, I told the waiter that I wasn't interested in steak, I just wanted a bucket of the bisque. He laughed and said he could definitely do that --$200 per gallon, and he meant it!
Yogi
I didn't make it past "Bone 8n Chick"...
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
JusHappy2BeHere
fat fingers and very touchy phone

Doc, we feel the same way about the fried oyster appetizer... they are the equal of any fried oyster at any seafood restaurant we have ever been to, and it's just an appetizer at a steakhouse.
JusHappy2BeHere
Keyser Soze
docoso said:

Don't even consider going to Pappas Bros Steakhouse without trying the lobster bisque --my favorite single dish all-time from any restaurant. Many years ago, I told the waiter that I wasn't interested in steak, I just wanted a bucket of the bisque. He laughed and said he could definitely do that --$200 per gallon, and he meant it!
This is great to know.

Thought the same way about the Lobster Bisque from New Ports - a high end seafood place in downtown Dallas years ago. They have been closed for some time. You have me fired up.

JusHappy2BeHere
Keyser Soze said:

docoso said:

This is great to know.

Thought the same way about the Lobster Bisque from New Ports - a high end seafood place in downtown Dallas years ago. They have been closed for some time. You have me fired up.

they also do a Deviled Egg Appetizer, which I know sounds pretty pedestrian, but they take all the yoke and put it in a mason jar on the side with Dijon mustard, honey, cayenne and bacon... then they fill the hole in the egg with chili oil and a beautiful piece of lobster...

LIB,MR BEARS
JusHappy2BeHere said:

Keyser Soze said:

docoso said:

This is great to know.

they also do a Deviled Egg Appetizer, which I know sounds pretty pedestrian, but they take all the yoke and put it in a mason jar on the side with Dijon mustard, honey, cayenne and bacon... then they fill the hole in the egg with chili oil and a beautiful piece of lobster...

That sounds awesome!
BaylorOkie
JusHappy2BeHere said:

Keyser Soze said:

docoso said:

This is great to know.

Good God, man. I love deviled eggs and I freaking love lobster bisque.
JusHappy2BeHere
BaylorOkie said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

Keyser Soze said:

docoso said:

This is great to know.

Good God, man. I love deviled eggs and I freaking love lobster bisque.
you have to try Pappas Bros., Bro
trey3216
JusHappy2BeHere said:

90sBear said:

bobo said:

Gotta have a thick cut, a super hot grill or BGE, and a cast iron stove top griddle to put in the oven on broil. It's not that hard. Just gotta do it right.
JusHappy2BeHere
trey3216 said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

90sBear said:

bobo said:

Gotta have a thick cut, a super hot grill or BGE, and a cast iron stove top griddle to put in the oven on broil. It's not that hard. Just gotta do it right.
Thanks for the tip!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.