Holy Grail Steaks - Wagyu

2,870 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 4th and Inches
UPBaylor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just found these guys through some foodie friends. It's a really cool, new venture and the guy that started it has a good reputation in the wine merchant world:

https://holygrailsteak.com

Pretty rare meat that normally isn't available to consumers in the US. At least not easily. I've been able to source small quantities of Miyazaki A5 on occasion, but never reliably. This is the stuff that normally sells for $40/oz. or so at nice restaurants.

We're looking at ordering a bunch for the family to feast on over Thanksgiving. Not sure which breeds yet, but definitely Japanese.
CSIBear
I have read some stuff on fake foods, Wagyu being one of them, served here in the US. If this is legit I would be really interested in getting some. I know there are a handful of restaurants in the US that serve the legitimate stuff, never had occasion to go to any yet.
J.R.
One of my best friends and fellow BU runs 850 head of Waygu in Ennis. It is the real stuff. Rosewood Waygu is the name. You will see it in many high end streak joints in the US. Also, for those in Dallas they have a really cool store called The Meat Shop on lovers where it can be purchased. All cuts available. Also a small restaurant where that have really great sandwiches and the like using the product.
UPBaylor
CSIBear said:

I have read some stuff on fake foods, Wagyu being one of them, served here in the US. If this is legit I would be really interested in getting some. I know there are a handful of restaurants in the US that serve the legitimate stuff, never had occasion to go to any yet.
Wagyu (or Kobe) is a meaningless marketing term here in the US and can be thrown around with very little control. I want 3rd party verification (foodies I trust that know what Wagyu should look like) before I purchase just based on the "Wagyu" beef from the US. I've never seen any that comes close to the true standards of Japan.

In Japan, supermarkets in the city are the basement of elaborate department stores and all of them sell many choices of the good stuff. Often, the meat is just pinkish-white because of all the marbling. I've sourced it here in the US, but prices are usually about $125/lb. even with discounts.
GoBearsGo
Costco has some great Kobe deals. It's still big boy budget stuff.

In Houston go to B&B Butcher's for one of the few spots in the US with true certified A5 Kobe. They sell it in the steakhouse or in the butcher shop.
4th and Inches
You have to learn the grading system and what to look for in order to get the best steak... in japan, the beef color is graded 1-7, the fat color is graded, 1-7, typically rated with overall beef quality A1-A5 and the marbling is graded 1-12. Japanese A5 is as good as it gets!

Australian M1 to M9 where M9 is top of the line in their grading system. Austalian M9 is about 20% marbling theoughout the beef with the meat being equivilent to USDA Prime

The USDA doesnt grade marbling...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.