Need Ideas for Best Broadway Shows for Kids

3,504 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by jessicajoe348
GoldenBear03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My wife and I are taking our kids to New York next week and wanting to grab tickets to a show next Friday night. Our kids are 11, 9, and 5. Which shows would be good for kids? I'm familiar with Aladdin, Lion King, Wicked, etc. Any others that we should be considering that would open up our list of options? Thanks for your help!
No Longer Gold
Wicked is just not a good show.

Any Disney show is gonna be great although I think Aladdin is a bit weaker than Lion King. Frozen is an exception. I'd pass on it.

Beauty and the Beast is great if it's still running.

Harry Potters and the Cursed child is better than I thought it would be as well.

However, none of these new shows hold a candle to any of the classics.

If Oklahoma, Guys and Dolls, Carousel, etc are playing,, that's where any kids Broadway experience should start.
Lund Vernquist
Start with The Music Man or Oklahoma, both of which are classics playing currently. If you have the time and budget for a second and want to scratch the Disney itch, go with Lion King.
SSadler
Swart Dra said:

Wicked is a GREAT show.

(that is all)
No Longer Gold
SSadler said:

Swart Dra said:

Wicked is a GREAT show.

(that is all)

Just because you've been told a show is popular, doesn't mean it defies gravity.

Wicked SUCKS!

And so does Hamilton.

But wicked is much worse.
SSadler
Swart Dra said:

SSadler said:

Swart Dra said:

Wicked is a GREAT show.

(that is all)

Just because you've been told a show is popular, doesn't mean it defies gravity.

Wicked SUCKS!

And so does Hamilton.

Was told it was so ONCE.

Saw it in New York TWICE, San Antonio ONCE, Dallas ONCE, London ONCE.

I repeat, Wicked is a GREAT show.
No Longer Gold
SSadler said:

Swart Dra said:

SSadler said:

Swart Dra said:

Wicked is a GREAT show.

(that is all)

Wicked SUCKS!

And so does Hamilton.

Was told it was so ONCE.

Saw it in New York TWICE, San Antonio ONCE, Dallas ONCE, London ONCE.

I repeat, Wicked is a GREAT show.
you're either wrong, or gay.
FranchiseBear
Wicked is OK in my opinion. Not great not terrible - but entertaining.

Hamilton is outstanding.
ronnah371
Lion King, Wicked, etc. Any others that we should be considering that would open up our list of options? Thanks for your help!
SSadler
Obviously I am a fan of Wicked. Not a good show for kids, though. The Wicked trilogy was not written for kids. Too bad Dumb Dra can't appreciate it. But that's his problem.

(And I ain't either "wrong" OR "gay")
TechDawgMc
I'd agree that the book trilogy is not kid friendly, but I'm not sure I'd agree about the show. We saw it with my daughter when she was about 10 and I don't remember being uncomfortable with anything other than the very brief opening scene about the adultery -- and I'm pretty sure that went over her head at the time.

I doubt kids really "get" the show, but there's a lot of fun stuff that they enjoy. It's been one of my daughter's favorite shows since then.
No Longer Gold
TechDawgMc said:

I'd agree that the book trilogy is not kid friendly, but I'm not sure I'd agree about the show. We saw it with my daughter when she was about 10 and I don't remember being uncomfortable with anything other than the very brief opening scene about the adultery -- and I'm pretty sure that went over her head at the time.

I doubt kids really "get" the show, but there's a lot of fun stuff that they enjoy. It's been one of my daughter's favorite shows since then.

The show is not worth "getting".
TechDawgMc
Swart Dra said:

TechDawgMc said:

The show is not worth "getting".
I guess I now know one person who thinks that. Maybe in 10 years I'll meet another.
jessicajoe348
You must go on Disney itch, its a good lace fr kids no doubt.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.