Smoked Boston Pork Butt Recipe

1,799 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by GoBearsGo
Stemperford
How long do you want to ignore this user?
INGREDIENTS

• 1 (7 to 8 pound) Boston pork butt
  • 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
  • 4 ounces spice rub (recommended: Out of this World BBQ Rub)
  • 1 cup apple juice or apple cider

Directions:

[ol]
  • Coat the pork butt with the mustard. Apply the spice rub all over the pork butt, creating a paste with the mustard. Place the pork, fat side up, in a preheated 225 to 250 degree F smoker for 10 1/2 hours, or until the internal temperature reaches 190 to 200 degrees F. During the smoking process, leave the smoker closed for the first 2 hours and then spray the pork with a small amount of apple juice or cider every 2 hours thereafter.
  • [/ol]
    2. Remove pork butt from the smoker and let rest for at least 15 minutes before pulling apart.

Hope it helps!
    Re-Mapping the Page.
    GoBearsGo
    I started using S& P mix on almost all my meats now. For the butts I spritz a mix of honey and apple cider vinegar.

When I'm pulling the meat I have a vinegar based mix that I pour into the mix to give a little extra umpf. I'll post it tonight.
    nevadafoothill
    oh, that's a good recipe. Can't wait to try this but with enhancement.
    Stemperford
    Can't wait for the post of your versions of the recipe. It's really a good thing to exchange ideas.

BaylorOkie
    Definitely want to hit 200+ internal temp, IMO. I go for 205 because it makes it fall off the bone and pull easily. Apple wood is my go-to with Boston Butts.
    GoBearsGo
    Stemperford said:

Can't wait for the post of your versions of the recipe. It's really a good thing to exchange ideas.

Will post it this afternoon. forgot about it earlier.
    GoBearsGo
    Went to BBQ University at Leroy & Lewis. One of the tips is they take their pulled pork and mix it with 1c Samabl and 3C rice wine vinegar. Really gives it a nice flavor.
    GonzalesBear
    Are you meaning Sambal sauce from Huy Fong ?
    GoBearsGo
    GonzalesBear said:

Are you meaning Sambal sauce from Huy Fong ?
    Yep. Sambal Oelek. I am sure there are many different makers, but I think that's the most common. Last time I didn't have enough rice wine vinegar so I used a mix of Apple Cider vinegar and Rice Wine Vinegar.

You want it to be able to really soak up the juice. It really gives it a nice flavor.
    Refresh
    Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.