The List: The Top 50 Barbecue Joints in Texas

9,807 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 4th and Inches
AStaton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Texas Monthly published their Top 50 Texas BBQ spots this morning... Killen's not making the Top 10 is a shame. How does everyone feel about this list?

The List: The Top 50 Barbecue Joints in Texas
NoLayUps21
I'm glad my region of Abilene finally has a good joint.
GoBearsGo
it's unreal to see the number of joints that are less than 5 years old.
J.R.
NoLayUps21 said:

I'm glad my region of Abilene finally has a good joint.
It's pretty good, visited last year. Also, any can't miss stops in your area. I have a ranch up by Jayton, but am always needed to eat around Abilene.
HillCountryRanchingBEAR
Franklin should be #1, every time! Everyone else is playing for second.
Gold Tron
Just was at Red Dirt in Tyler. The joint in Cresson...their meat was good but their jalapeno cheese grits were to DIE FOR. Stanley's was as good as anything else that came from top to bottom. That is all I have to add.

edit was for spelling
J.R.
Was in Tyler a few months ago and dropped by Stanley's. Thought it was great.
J.R.
Cooper's in Llano is a mystery to me. I've probably been there 75 -100 times as I used to have a lake house in Horseshoe Bay. I really like it for what it is, but I do not think it is anywhere close to many, many places we have here in the great state of Texas for this reason........It's apples and oranges. To me Texas BBQ should be judged on pork ribs and brisket. Neither of those a Coopers are worth eating, IMO. They are not the same style that all the other are judged on. I'd call them, half smoke, half grilled. They just aren't on par with many of the "big boys". Having said that, the Pork Chop is spectacular as is Cabrito when the have it. Oh, and yes, to the tater salad and Blackberry Cobbler. Just my opinion.
WILLIS
A lifelong friend since elementary school days, Grant Pinkerton, has his joint in the Top 50. Proud of him (even if he is a horn). The amount of top notch bbq around the state these days is incredible.

Been to: City Market, Valentinas, Pinkertons, Coopers Llano, Terry Blacks (going tomorrow again), Fargos in Bryan, Kreuz, Killens, Gatlins, ... Now living in Austin, excited to try some others in the area. Snow's particularly.

Lines have shortened at Franklins fyi. So much rendered goodness around here. Saw a camera clip of no one in line the other day at 9:45-10am.

Once again, nothing from Waco. Pitiful.
goldtexan
Heim BBQ in Fort Worth is legit. Good for that young couple. Food truck to TM Top 50 in a few short years.
J.R.
No Angelo's or Railhead should make the Tarrant Co. folk pissed
NoLayUps21
J.R. said:

It's pretty good, visited last year. Also, any can't miss stops in your area. I have a ranch up by Jayton, but am always needed to eat around Abilene.
Where are you coming from?
Edmond Bear

Have been to many of these in East Texas, Dallas area, and around Austin. There is some incredible BBQ around the state. But, there is some fluff on the list (Hutchins in McKinney?).

It's not Texas but my family and I tried Butcher BBQ Stand in Wellston, OK this Sunday and it would be near the top of the list. Burnt Ends and Apple Pie BBQ Beans (that's apple pie chunks in the beans) were freaking unreal.

J.R.
NoLayUps21 said:

J.R. said:

Where are you coming from?
dallas. We go both ways depending on time of day. Do Mary's in Strawn and Rays in Breckinridge for BBQ sammie
GoBearsGo
Planning a day trip to all the Houston ones here soon. Will give the list a little time to wear off though.
NoLayUps21
Bee Hive in Albany. Easterling's BBQ in Anson can be solid. Abilene has a good gyro place called Niko's if you're just in the mood for a huge gyro.

/threadjack
HillCountryRanchingBEAR
NoLayUps21 said:

Bee Hive in Albany. Easterling's BBQ in Anson can be solid. Abilene has a good gyro place called Niko's if you're just in the mood for a huge gyro.

/threadjack

I've heard the BeeHive is a must for steaks. I love Perini's in Buffalo Gap.
AStaton
GoBearsGo said:

Planning a day trip to all the Houston ones here soon. Will give the list a little time to wear off though.
IMO, you can skip Gatlin's. I've been there twice and it's just so-so. Killen's, however, is can't miss. Make sure that you get the beef rib.
J.R.
Beehive is indeed good!!!! My buddies who hunt in and around Albany go there often
LocalMemory
How good must Snow's be to supplant Franklin?

And I am beyond intrigued by the Tejas Chocolate Craftory
CTCBear
AStaton said:

GoBearsGo said:

IMO, you can skip Gatlin's. I've been there twice and it's just so-so. Killen's, however, is can't miss. Make sure that you get the beef rib.
I agree with Gatlins...its good, but not worthy of some others. I thought the same of The Pit Room. Maybe it was an off day, but wasn't impressed at all.

I went to Tejas Chocolate yesterday.....LEGIT. While they have the normal BBQ options, they also put a twist as well. I had the brisket and blue cheese sandwich and it was fantastic. Get the carrot souffl and cornbread pudding as your sides. I will be back many times.

Roegles is really good too. I love their peppery brisket and their pastrami sandwich is amazing.

Killens has fallen off a bit (self admit-tingly) but their beef rib is the best.
gobears.
Not only is Valentinas great brisket, they have amazing breakfast tacos. Legit spot in Manchaca south Austin.
WILLIS
I miss the old Valentina's, was much more accessible for me ha. Went to LA BBQ a couple weeks ago on the first day in their new building. Great stuff, but geez that line moves slower than mopac. How did they not improve this when upgrading their digs? One of their bartenders was a huge ******* too. Great cue tho. Perhaps they'll work out some kinks.
HillCountryRanchingBEAR
LocalMemory said:

How good must Snow's be to supplant Franklin?

And I am beyond intrigued by the Tejas Chocolate Craftory

It isn't. Brisket is different as it doesn't have that great crust other top end places have.

Everyone is playing for second behind Aaron Franklin.
AceThedic
Went to The Smoking Oak in Mercedes and it was good for the RGV. It was pretty standard from what you'd find around mid-range centex joints but nowhere near the aroma flavor or succulence of anything out of Lockhart.

It was also RIDICULOUSLY expensive. Nearly $100 for 2 lbs of brisket, 1/2 lb of sausage that was NOT made in house or anywhere locally, and 2 pints of potato salad.
Coke Bear
Franklin's question: Is it really THAT good or do people rave about it to justify standing in line for 4 hours? I'm sure that it tastes good; however, has society succumbed to group think?

I would like to try it. I can't invest that much time for one meal. I live in Waco and my schedule to filled with enough.
AceThedic
Coke Bear said:

Franklin's question: Is it really THAT good or do people rave about it to justify standing in line for 4 hours? I'm sure that it tastes good; however, has society succumbed to group think?

I would like to try it. I can't invest that much time for one meal. I live in Waco and my schedule to filled with enough.
This is kind of where I'm at. Beef can only get so tender, you know what a smoked meat tastes like, you know what seasonings taste like... I'm not saying it's not ridiculously good but it might also be fueled by hype.

Also, Aaron Franklin eats at Black's.
NoLayUps21
It was the experience for me. I went with three friends and we got there at 9:00, sat chairs up, had a cooler of *Dr Pepper* and just hung out and played cards for a little while. It was a great morning with great friends, and it put us in such a happy mood.

Also the food really is phenomenal.
WILLIS
Buy Franklin's book and do it yourself. He makes it so easy to do in his book. First time I cooked a brisket a couple years ago following his method, it turned out better than almost every brisket I've ever paid for at mid range places and better than a lot of the top dog joints

https://www.amazon.com/Franklin-Barbecue-Meat-Smoking-Manifesto-Aaron/dp/1607747200/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502894722&sr=8-1&keywords=bbq+manifesto

Also heading to Terry Black's for lunch today -- glad to see it getting the respect it deserves
HillCountryRanchingBEAR
Black's is my #2. I weep for the souls of BBQ fans who have never had Franklin's fatty brisket.
AceThedic
WILLIS said:

Buy Franklin's book and do it yourself. He makes it so easy to do in his book. First time I cooked a brisket a couple years ago following his method, it turned out better than almost every brisket I've ever paid for at mid range places and better than a lot of the top dog joints

https://www.amazon.com/Franklin-Barbecue-Meat-Smoking-Manifesto-Aaron/dp/1607747200/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502894722&sr=8-1&keywords=bbq+manifesto

Also heading to Terry Black's for lunch today -- glad to see it getting the respect it deserves
Original Black's of Lockhart. Not Terry Black's, though it's also delicious.
WILLIS
AceThedic said:

WILLIS said:

Was referring to Texas Monthly's list but yes both are delicious. First time I ever had a beef rib was at Black's in Lockhart. Game changer.
AceThedic
WILLIS said:

AceThedic said:

WILLIS said:

Was referring to Texas Monthly's list but yes both are delicious. First time I ever had a beef rib was at Black's in Lockhart. Game changer.
I get edgy when we talk Q
Dia del DougO
If you want Top 50 quality 'cue without the long lines go to Georgetown and visit John Mueller's Black Box BBQ downtown.

See my review in the "Sic'em Barbecue Crawl" thread here:

https://sicem365.com/forums/18/topics/11219

Post your own barbecue joint reviews and pics there. That's what it was intended for.
gobears.
WILLIS said:

I miss the old Valentina's, was much more accessible for me ha. Went to LA BBQ a couple weeks ago on the first day in their new building. Great stuff, but geez that line moves slower than mopac. How did they not improve this when upgrading their digs? One of their bartenders was a huge ******* too. Great cue tho. Perhaps they'll work out some kinks.
Never ate at the old Valentinas on Brody parking lot was alwasys packed. Now at least you have the side street to park on if their new lot is full. I will have to try LA BBQ. Went by once when they were in the trailer and the line was just too long for me on what was a very hot day.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.