Remembering Steve Beaird

4,265 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by HunterBear
Russell Gym
How long do you want to ignore this user?

https://247sports.com/Article/Steve-Beaird-ex-Baylor-football-running-back-dead-at-70-190488954/
fadskier
When did he pass?
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
beardoc
Last week, long bout with cancer.
GruntTuff
Way too young. He was fun to watch. Tough. Quick. Dependable. Those of you who aren't of my generation have no idea how bad things were from 68-71. He was one of those who changed the perception, and the reality.
Fre3dombear
GruntTuff said:

Way too young. He was fun to watch. Tough. Quick. Dependable. Those of you who aren't of my generation have no idea how bad things were from 68-71. He was one of those who changed the perception, and the reality.

Doesn't anyone around from say any time once Sloan arrived as president and 1996-2007 knows no?
McCavebear
GruntTuff said:

Steve was special! He was a big part of Baylor's 1974 SWC Championship.

My Dad called him a "scooter back'" . He ran so low to the ground.

He would often disappear into the scrum in the middle of a play then suddenly burst out into the secondary for a 15 to 20 yard gain.

https://baylorbears.com/news/2019/11/15/football-you-can-t-have-one-without-the-other.aspx

McCavebear Lives!
McCavebear
Here is Steve Beaird #24 in action against the Razorbacks:

https://baylorbears.com/news/2019/11/15/football-you-can-t-have-one-without-the-other.aspx

(closer shot)
McCavebear Lives!
saabing bear
McCavebear said:

He would often disappear into the scrum in the middle of a play then suddenly burst out into the secondary for a 15 to 20 yard gain.

That's what I remember most about him. On short yardage downs everyone in the stadium knew who would get the ball but he still got the first down. In the '74 Miracle against Texas we had the ball close to the goal line and Neal Jeffrey faked it to him up the middle. That froze all the Horns and Jeffrey kept it around end for the score.

It was a real shame that in '73 he didn't get into the lineup until late in the season.
Alf
I worked for Steve in the mid 80's for a couple years when I first moved to Texas. He owned a foundation drilling business. At the time I had no idea of his football prowess until other people told me about it.
On out of town jobs we would go out to bars and he would arm wrestle guys for money or drinks, never saw anyone ever take him down.
He was good guy. RIP Steve.
Bakersdozen
As I recall, a JUCO transfer? He took off like a bullet once he got on the field. He was amazing and something to cheer about. Baylor had some good running backs back in the day (Pinky Palmer is one I remember) and into the 1970s and early '80s. Boy, was he fun to watch.

Very sad. He was too young.
Johnny Bear
He is mostly remembered as a tough bowling ball 3 yards and a cloud of dust type back, but I can still see him rambling 80+ yards with a swing pass from Neal Jeffrey against OSU (then a non-con opponent) for a TD that provided a ton of momentum to go on to beat the Top 10 ranked 'Pokes early in the '74 "Miracle on the Brazos" season. Great memories and I'm saddened to hear of his passing.
McCavebear
Johnny Bear said:

He is mostly remembered as a tough bowling ball 3 yards and a cloud of dust type back, but I can still see him rambling 80+ yards with a swing pass from Neal Jeffrey against OSU (then a non-con opponent) for a TD that provided a ton of momentum to go on to beat the Top 10 ranked 'Pokes early in the '74 "Miracle on the Brazos" season. Great memories and I'm saddened to hear of his passing.
I was at that game. That is when we began to realize we had something going.
McCavebear Lives!
Guy Noir
I saw him play while I was at Baylor. I thought he was one of the great ones..
Bexar Pitts
Guy Noir said:

I saw him play while I was at Baylor. I thought he was one of the great ones..
May he RIP. He was a huge part of the season..of the era..that brought Baylor football "back." Of all the years I've been a Baylor fan, that magical '74 season will forever be an awesome memory....as will old number 24 plowing through defenders. May God give comfort to all that mourn his passing.
TOBear
Good player, better person
Would fit well with Aranda today!
Bakersdozen
Miracle on the Brazos - best Baylor game I ever saw in person.

Beating TCU 61-58 was the second best Baylor game I ever saw in person.

Beating OU on the last minute TD was the best Baylor football game I ever missed in person. Honestly, I just didn't think Baylor could win the game. one of the biggest regrets of my life was not attending that game.

Steve Beard played a pivotal role for Baylor during the days when Teaff turned us around.
Aliceinbubbleland
Those were the days we waiting until Sunday afternoon to see the Grant Teaff show on TV, grainy images and all.

RIP Baylor Great, Steve Beard. You gave us so much to cheer for after a long run of nothingness.
Kamala Harris: Lina Hidalgo on steroids.
Burkoso
I live in Fairfield, which is a neighboring town to Steve's home in Teague. I am also a member at the golf course he owns. He has left behind an amazing legacy in this part of the world. Here is the obituary printed in today's Fairfield Recorder:

Steve Beaird
July 22, 1952 - July 23, 2022

Funeral services for Steve Beaird will be held on Wednesday, July 27, 2022 at 2:00 p.m. at First United Methodist Church in Teague. David McAdams and Rev. Jeffrey Craft will officiate. Interment will follow at Greenwood Cemetery.

The following will be serving as Pallbearers: Don Bockhorn, Brian Kilgore, Ken Quesenberry, Scott McCarthy, Greg Birdsal and John Ward. Honorary Bearers are the "Beaird Bowl Boys" and "Golfing Friends".
Steve was born on July 22, 1952 in Freeport, Texas. He went to his heavenly home on July 23, 2022 at the age of 70.

Steve loved his wife Meda for 52 years. His sons, Steven, Mitch and Stewart were his world along with his grandchildren Adyson, Casen, Peyton, Kendall, Trooper and Memphis. They lovingly called him PawPaw. He loved them all very much. His family was everything to him. He was also a loyal friend and mentor to many.
The ride of a lifetime began in the summer of 1970 when Steve came to visit friends in the area. A simple trip to the Teague City Pool where he met Meda, who was the lifeguard. All it took was one gainer and their lives were changed forever. Steve and Meda married on December 23, 1972 in Teague, Texas. They have lived in numerous places over the years. A few years ago they bought the Tri-County Golf Club and moved back to Teague. This is where they call home.

Steve was a tough athlete and a fierce competitor. Whether it was on the football field, golf course, or just playing games around the dinner table, you could bet he would play at the highest level, giving 100% and having the time of his life.

Steve began his football career at Angleton High School where he graduated with the Class of 1971. He continued his football career at Blinn Junior College in Brenham, Texas. During the 1971 and 1972 seasons Steve received all-conference honors. During the 1972 season he led the Buccaneers to the Southwest Junior College Conference title and a trip to the Wool Bowl. While at Blinn he was an all-American and a two-time all-conference running back. Steve's accomplishments at Blinn led to Division 1 offers. Steve landed at Baylor University in 1973. Steve's senior year at Baylor was his most successful of his football career. In 1974 Steve rushed for 1,104 yards on 276 carries and scored 16 touchdowns. Steve was the first Baylor Bear to rush over 1000 yards in a single season. His accomplishments while playing for the green and gold helped earn Baylor their first Southwest Conference Title in 50 years. This resulted in Baylor's first ever invitation to the Cotton Bowl. In 1974, he was recognized as the Texas Sportswriter Amateur Athlete of the Year and awarded by the Houston Post as 'Most Valuable Offensive Player of the Southwest Conference'. In 1975, Steve was the 7th round draft pick for the St. Louis Cardinals and the 1st round draft pick for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. Steve chose the Blue Bombers. He spent two seasons playing in the CFL. He was a Rookie of the Year nominee. He was a CFL All-Star and played in the All-Pro Countdown. Steve has continued to receive football honors throughout his life. In 1995 he was inducted into the NJCAA Football Hall of Fame. In 2005 he was inducted into the Blinn College Alumni and Friends Association Hall of Honor and recognized as Person of the Year. In 2019 he was inducted into the Baylor Athletics Hall of Fame.

In 1982, with Steve's vision and one drilling rig, Beaird Drilling was born. It is a first generation company built on hard work, courage, and dedication that only Steve could give. Today it is a successful and thriving business with over 16 drilling rigs. This business was designed to be run by Steve and his sons. They will continue his vision with the same dedication and hard work.

Steve loved the game of golf. He loved playing with his family and friends. 20 years ago, Steve started the Annual Dog Fight Tournament. It is a tournament loved by many, and Steve looked forward to it every year. It was his goal to be here on July 16, 2022 for the annual Dog Fight and it was accomplished.

Steve was a kind, gentle, and generous man. He was unselfish with his time and talents. Steve started a Sunday afternoon tradition in Teague for young boys. It was a flag football game that would come to be known as Beaird Bowl. The boys would line up every Sunday at 2:00 p.m. to listen to Steve yell "Let's get ready to rumble." Steve has always said Grant Teaff was not only his football coach, but he was a life coach. On Sunday afternoons for 16 years Steve was a life coach for those boys. He taught them sportsmanship, kindness and general life lessons. A coach for the Teague Lions told Steve that he helped shape the Lion Football program. He said the players were well prepared due to those Sunday afternoon games. On June 12, 2022 those boys returned as grown men to play one last Beaird Bowl for Steve. They gathered around Steve in the front yard and presented him with the Beaird Bowl all time MVP trophy. Steve received many awards and honors throughout his life, but he would tell you that the Beaird Bowl all time MVP was the greatest honor he ever received.

Steve's toughest opponent came in 2016 with a cancer diagnosis. He faced it with his competitive spirit, humor, courage, and grace. In the end victory was Steve's. He is playing golf with family and friends and some of the greatest golfers of all time. He is playing a golf course beyond our imagination. A course touched by God with no bogeys, no rough, and the greenest of greens. The greatest award of all comes from God. Well done, good and faithful servant. As Steve would say "It's all good."

He is survived by his wife, Meda Beaird of Teague; three sons, Steven Beaird & wife Sarah of Teague, Mitch Beaird & fianc Senia of New Braunfels, and Stewart Beaird & wife Emily of LaVernia; six grandchildren, Adyson Beaird, Casen Beaird, Peyton Beaird, Kendall Beaird, Trooper Beaird, Memphis Beaird; his sister, Vicki Gayle & husband Duke; two brothers-in-law, Randy Stacks & wife Tommie and David Stacks & wife Jan; one sister-in-law, Marda Raley & husband Berry; numerous nieces, nephews, and friends.

He was preceded in death by his mother, Winnie Tielke; one sister, Judy Young; and his father & mother-in-law, Lester & Freddie Stacks.

Memorials can be made to Methodist Children's Home at 1111 Herring Avenue, Waco, Texas 76708 or to First United Methodist Church at PO Box 240, Teague, Texas 75860.
HunterBear
Beaird's jersey always seemed to be torn, a compliment to being hard to tackle.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.