Football
Sponsored by

Who's Your Backup College Team

4,990 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Gentle Ben
Grumpy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I love Baylor, and they will always be my team. And I love college football above all other levels and sports: the teams, colors, spirit, etc. So when things aren't going well for the Bears (e.g, the Steele years), I have always had a backup team that played decently to also root for, just to keep my sanity. I have a kiddo at Northwestern, so they're my current non-Baylor competing backup. Who's your college backup to cheer for?
Robert Wilson
I don't know, but I feel like I might need to find one.
Hotsauce
No one.

I got my kicks out of rooting against Texas, though.
BellCountyBear
Yeah, I don't have another team I root for every week. Just whoever is playing Texas/a&m/Oklahoma because **** them!
Tylerbear
Alabama

Might as well have a backup team that can beat Liberty at home
Scratchy Bear
I don't really have another FBS school I root for, only a few I root against (Aggy, Okie, Whorns, etc.). Clemson would probably be the closest, but that's just because I'm a bandwagon fan from them knocking off Bama.

I do find myself pulling for a lot of the smaller Texas schools (UMHB, UNT, Sam Houston, etc.) unless we're playing any of them.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Arkansas State. Hometown team. Has former Baylor QB Blake Anderson as coach and Kaz running the strength program. Almost upset Nebraska last night.

Tennessee, just because.

Once they get done with us, I'll be rooting for Oklahoma State to make the playoffs.
syme
Probably Penn St. where my dad went.

We really know how to pick em in this family.
80sBEAR
My Dad went to Alabama Polytechnic Institute, the school now known as Auburn. I still hope Auburn wins the SEC and Stidham wins the Heisman Trophy. That would be the cherry on top.
"This is not an institution of football."
-- Dr. David Garland
Sip 'em Beers
USC- have a grad degree to prove my bona fides
Michigan - grew up in Ann Arbor and Harbaugh has the same desire win as CAB

Not Texas - I got my JD from here but can't stand their "swagger" and find a great deal of entertainment in their dysfunction

I'm not yet quite yet ready to jump ship on good old BU but they're not making it easy on me.
RegentCoverup
I have a cousin who signed with USC but I like just about any underdog.
Shippou
I dunno, my girlfriend has family that's gone to both USC and UCLA, I spent the better part of today and last night getting them up to speed on aggy culture because they were at the Rose bowl today to witness that collapse.
Yogi
Tech, Notre Dame, USC, Big XII
Sip 'em Beers
I'd also add Syracuse, Tulsa, Florida Atlantic, Arizona St,. and the Ti-Cats. You know why.
DAC
Auburn
MilliVanilli
Anyone playing A&M or UT.
BillDauterive

Sprite
I like the underdogs and upsets.

I'm glad I found enough DGAFs to distance myself from the dumpster fire that is Baylor athletics. I can actually laugh about Matt Rhule's maiden loss Saturday instead of getting my panties all in a bunch like I used to.
The_barBEARian
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Arkansas State. Hometown team. Has former Baylor QB Blake Anderson as coach and Kaz running the strength program. Almost upset Nebraska last night.

Tennessee, just because.

Once they get done with us, I'll be rooting for Oklahoma State to make the playoffs.
My back-up team is Nebraska. Both parents, grandfather, great grandfather all went there so I have a legacy connection. Arkansas State looked really good on Sat! If MR loses to UTSA next weekend I am officially joining the hire Blake Anderson/Bring back Kaz bandwagon. I heard Blake Anderson's named floated around for the Baylor job last year but didnt know much about him so I wasn't high on the idea, but after seeing his team I am sold on him coming to Baylor...
Dia del DougO

Whoever plays aggy.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
EastTXBear2012
Alabama and Penn state. My sister goes to Bama(actually just got back from Atlanta) and my dad went to PSU.
Dia del DougO

I grew up watching the Longhorns on TV with my dad back when I was a little kid. They were the only Texas team that ever did much back in that era. Then family connections made me a Baylor fan when we started going to games. So then Texas was pretty much my backup team for ages. But after last year and all that happened and how their fan base revels in the Baylor smear it's a lot tougher to wish them well now.

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Krieg
I asked a guy this at the stadium Saturday. Clemson was all we came up with.

Mine was FSU as a kid. Maybe I can go back? I don't know. I can't root for what I saw Saturday, though. That is likely the only staff in FBS that lose that game with the team they inherited. Not worth the investment.
Mr. Sippi
I did my medical residency at Vanderbilt - not really much different than the post-Teaff/pre-Briles BU teams (sad)... Both of my sons go to Alabama, but it's hard for me to get excited about them and their year-after-year domination (since it's expected). But, maybe this is the year I'm tempted to rip the price tag off and wear the 'Bama shirt that's been hanging in my closet for three years... (But I'll always prefer green and gold!)
Baylor grad, 'Bama dad
BUGWBBear
Grumpy said:

I love Baylor, and they will always be my team. And I love college football above all other levels and sports: the teams, colors, spirit, etc. So when things aren't going well for the Bears (e.g, the Steele years), I have always had a backup team that played decently to also root for, just to keep my sanity. I have a kiddo at Northwestern, so they're my current non-Baylor competing backup. Who's your college backup to cheer for?

None. I only went to one school.
BearTooth
My daughter is in the band at North Carolina.

I look good in Carolina Blue.
Jacques Strap
The Dallas Cowboys.
BealBear
Whoever plays UT, Aggy, TCU or Tech.
KajunKarlsdad
LSU and Tulane since they are near my home. When my daughter chose Baylor to attend we became Bear fans.
TaterBear
For some unknown reason I have also liked LSU ... so LSU it is (unless we are playing them).
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance ~ baffle them with bs.
Bruiser85
My dad and brother went to Rice, so I enjoy going to their games. Great school, good people, and low stress watching the Owls play.
Big guy
Dia del DougO said:

Whoever plays aggy.
DITTO
TXWayne
I guess Maryland since that is where my undergrad degree is from, as my wife reminded me of Saturday while the were beating TU. I had forgotten because I have never been on campus. Got it via their European and Pacific divisions while in the military, Japan and Italy.
vanillabryce
Graduate degree from OU so they're my backup. Clemson is a 2 hour drive from our house so they became our local team about 4 years ago when we moved. Love Dabo and the Clemson fans are great.
Assassin
Dallas Cowboys

Texas A&I (aka TAMUK)
On Facebook at Memories of...
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.