Who will have to bend the knee to the SEC?

3,204 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by Killing Floor
Mitch Blood Green
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If FSU wins with their 3rd string QB, they belong.

Texas beat Alabama.

Washington Belongs. Michigan Belongs.

SEC champion doesn't belong. I bet they get in.
IowaBear
They'll leave out FSU and just change this years criteria. Same **** they do every year
Aberzombie1892
Mitch Blood Green said:

If FSU wins with their 3rd string QB, they belong.

Texas beat Alabama.

Washington Belongs. Michigan Belongs.

SEC champion doesn't belong. I bet they get in.

Eh. Logic says SEC is out of Michigan and FSU both win, but there is a chance that FSU will be excluded for Alabama. There is a good chance that FSU will lose outright so it won't matter.
BluesBear
Washington. Michigan. fSU. All undefeated. All conference champions.

Last 2 conference played each other. uT won.

UT gets final spot.
FWBear91
BluesBear said:

UT gets final spot.

Exactly as it should be. Cue the Saban whining.
IowaBear
That's what it should be. But I wouldn't be shocked if they leave FSU out. Assuming they win tonight. If they lose tonight their out
Jack Bauer
Still think Bama gets in over FSU over something about "the eye test", "strong QB play", "beating #1 team", etc. etc. etc.
John Hawk
If UT doesn't get in, do they complain that the committee is in the pocket of the SEC?
BellCountyBear
John Hawk said:

If UT doesn't get in, do they complain that the committee is in the pocket of the SEC?
The definition of irony. If you can't beat'em, join'em.
Fre3dombear
8 team playoff solves this. 12 is stupid and just done to get in more big 10 and sec teams
ImwithBU
BluesBear said:

UT gets final spot.

This is what it should be, but they will use the FSU QB being hurt as a reason to say they are not one of the top 4 teams right now. Complete BS but this is a money game as well
Jack Bauer
ImwithBU said:

BluesBear said:

UT gets final spot.

This is what it should be, but they will use the FSU QB being hurt as a reason to say they are not one of the top 4 teams right now. Complete BS but this is a money game as well

Just imagine if stupid Auburn had stopped a 4th and 31 conversion!!! Then the SEC would be screwed.
Fre3dombear
Jack Bauer said:

ImwithBU said:

BluesBear said:

UT gets final spot.

Just imagine if stupid Auburn had stopped a 4th and 31 conversion!!! Then the SEC would be screwed.

Then they'd just put in georgia like tcu back doored in
GrizBear
Don't like SEC but it should be Georgia, Alabama, Washington and Michigan.
PartyBear
Texas beat the SEC champ during the season. They should be in having won a power conf championship and beating the eventual winner of another one during the season.

The 12 team play off which takes the committee out from 4 of the 12 at least can't get here soon enough.
Realitybites
If we are operating from the assumption that the CFP is corrupt this website that shows viewership of the top games each week should help us figure out who gets left out.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

If we are operating from the assumption that it is completely corrupt and the conferences are paying the members of the committee off under the table who knows. That's a scenario in which the ACC could easily get left out and it is Washington, Michigan, Texas, and Alabama.

I'm going with the assumption that a one loss sec champ gets in. Either Texas or FSU get left out.

So here we go:

Week 1: FSU vs LSU (Rating 4.7, Views 9.17M) beats Texas vs Rice (Rating 1.6, Views 3.21M)
Week 2: Texas vs Alabama (Rating 4.5, Views 8.76M), FSU (No Rating)
Week 3: No Rating
Week 4: FSU vs Clemson (Rating 3.7, Views 6.71M) beats Texas vs Baylor (Rating 1.4, Views 2.63M)
Week 5: Texas vs Kansas (Rating 1.8, Views 3.32M), FSU (No Rating)
Week 6: Texas vs Oklahoma (Rating 4.2, Views 7.87M), beats FSU vs Virginia Tech (Rating 1.7, Views 3.02M)
Week 7: FSU vs Syracuse (Rating 1.2, Views 2.09M), Texas (No Rating)
Week 8: FSU vs Duke (Rating 2.2, Views 4.08M) beats Texas vs Houston (Rating 1.6, Views 3.08M)
Week 9: Texas vs BYU (Rating 1.3, Views 2.38M) beats FSU vs Wake Forest (Rating 1.2, Views 2.09M)
Week 10: Texas vs K-State (Rating 1.6, Views 2.95M) beats FSU vs Pitt (Rating 1.0, Views 1.76M)
Week 11: FSU vs Miami (Rating 2.2, Views 4.14M) beats Texas vs TCU (Rating 1.5, Views 2.82M)
Week 12: Texas vs Iowa State (Rating 1.4, Views 2.47M) beats FSU vs North Alabama (Rating 0.7, Views 1.33M)
Week 13: FSU vs Florida (Rating 2.5, Views 5.07M) beats Texas vs Texas Tech (Rating 1.8, Views 3.77M)

Across the entire season, FSU averaged a rating of 2.11 and 3.95M viewers.

Across the entire season, Texas averaged a rating of 2.06 and 3.93M viewers.

Head to head, quite a few more people tuned in to watch FSU (ACC) vs LSU (SEC) in Week 1 than Texas (Big 12) vs Alabama (SEC) in Week 2. In weeks where both teams were on TV on the same weekend, FSU edges out Texas 5-4.

So if the decision is made based on viewership it will be Washington, Michigan, Alabama, and Florida State with Texas getting left out despite the head to head over Alabama.

If the decision is made based on on the field performance it will be Washington (undefeated, P5 champs), Michigan (undefeated, P5 champs), Texas (one loss P5 champs, head to head over the other one loss P5 champs), and Florida State (undefeated P5 champs).

Based on the information above, I don't really see how they exclude an undefeated Florida State team because the "we ran the table" argument is at least as valid as "early season head to head".

I miss the BCS. It was a better system.
Mitch Blood Green
Fre3dombear said:

8 team playoff solves this. 12 is stupid and just done to get in more big 10 and sec teams

12 is stupid. I agree 8 is the right number. Regardless, we'd still have to hear Finebaum argue Missouri and LSU should be in before FSU.
PacificBear
You can not leave out the SEC Champ. Period. Alabama and Georgia are the two best teams then Michigan. After that, who cares. Probably Ohio state, Oregon or texas.
Mitch Blood Green
GrizBear said:

Don't like SEC but it should be Georgia, Alabama, Washington and Michigan.

No it shouldn't. Georgia beating up on Vanderbilt and South Carolina does not prove they are better than FSU and Texas.

I saw a championship defense at FSU and I saw Texas beat Alabama.

Sometimes big 12 doesn't get in sometimes pac 12 doesn't get in. This year, SEC was down. Their mystique shouldn't carry them through.
Mitch Blood Green
PacificBear said:

You can not leave out the SEC Champ. Period. Alabama and Georgia are the two best teams then Michigan. After that, who cares. Probably Ohio state, Oregon or texas.

Why can't I? I have an undefeated PAC champion who looked like best conference. I have an undefeated B1G champion.

We are really talking about 2 teams. An undefeated ACC champion and a SEC champion that lost to the Big12 champion head to head.
IowaBear
This… Georgias schedule this year was a joke until the end of the year. Both good wins came at home. They lost the biggest game they played. That alone SHOULD eliminate GA and OSU. Then we get to Bama they lost their big OOC game at home. FSU won their big ooc game… at a neutral site. This really shouldn't even be a debate. The fact that it is just shows that the goalposts are moved yearly to benefit certain programs
PacificBear
It's the best four teams at the end of the season. Texas beat an awful Alabama team with no QB and new OC & DC. Have you noticed their improvement? Alabama vs Georgia was the best game of the year. That was the NC game.
EvilTroyAndAbed
I'll let you all argue it out. I'll just say if Texas gets left out, it'll be glorious.
Realitybites
The biggest problem the committee has with regards to their shenaningans are playoff rankings going into this weekend:

1 Georgia 12-0
2 Michigan 12-0
3 Washington 12-0
4 Florida State 12-0
5 Oregon 11-1
6 Ohio State 11-1
7 Texas 11-1
8 Alabama 11-1

They only dropped Ohio State four spots after their loss to Michigan, which left them ahead of Texas and Alabama.
Mitch Blood Green
PacificBear said:

It's the best four teams at the end of the season. Texas beat an awful Alabama team with no QB and new OC & DC. Have you noticed their improvement? Alabama vs Georgia was the best game of the year. That was the NC game.

Did you not see Oregon/Washington? Stanford/ Colorado (no impact on anything but great)

College football has never had an "improvement" runway.
jumpinjoe
The number of FCS teams the SEC schedules, along with 8 conference games, arbitrarily pads the won/loss records for all SEC teams which makes their records seem better to inflate the in conference strength of schedule for the SEC. So far the committee has been blinded by this mirage. This is the year the SEC should be left out.
Joined BaylorFans in 1999 under username jumpinjoe. Have always been Jumpinjoe. Proud 4 Year Baylor letterman and 1968 graduate and charter member of Quartermiler U, produced school record in 400 IH.
Golden Helmet
Personnel playing has NADA bearing on the selection committees criteria for selection.

Strength of schedule is where it's at and the ACC / Florida States quality wins count keeps them out.

Alabama just beat the #1 Team as ranked by said committee.....they will get in and they should.

Texas will get in by way of their win over the Tide early in the year.

If you're taking the best teams my list is

Alabama
Georgia
Washington
Michigan

It will be

Alabama
TX
Wash
Mich.
BUBBFAN
Golden Helmet said:

Personnel playing has NADA bearing on the selection committees criteria for selection.

Strength of schedule is where it's at and the ACC / Florida States quality wins count keeps them out.

Alabama just beat the #1 Team as ranked by said committee.....they will get in and they should.

Alabama
Georgia
Washington
Michigan

It will be

Alabama
TX
Wash
Mich.
You are probably right, but I could see them putting in both Georgia and Alabama.. It should be
FSU
Washington
Michigan
Texas
Mitch Blood Green
I don't know whose strength of schedule number they will use.

I've always felt this was an SEC/B1G tournament that allowed the rest of us to participate as a charity.

I'm sure there are people who believe the four would be

Michigan OSU Alabama Georgia.

And will tell you all the reasons Alabama is better than Texas. Why? Because Georgia beat South Carolina and SC is better than BYU.
Golden Helmet
Both Texas and Alabama are better teams than they were in early season.

Hard to say who'd win today - but if I had to bet I'd take Alabama because of their QB play / threat.
chriscbear
Hope Alabama gets left out so Paul Finebaum and callers. can have a meltdown.
RightRevBear
PacificBear said:

Why not? I grew up in SEC territory. Rooting for an SEC team. I am so tired of hearing about how the SEC is so much better. The non-conference records do no say that. Big 12 was 3-2 against the SEC this year. The ACC was 6-4. The SEC had a losing record against P5 schools in non-conference. I am tired of the propaganda.
Mitch Blood Green
The team that is not better is FSU but they are an undefeated conference champion who just won a championship with a 3rd string freshman QB.

It's unfair to not give that defense a shot at the National Championship.
WA Jim
BUBBFAN said:

Golden Helmet said:

Alabama
Georgia
Washington
Michigan

It will be

Alabama
TX
Wash
Mich.
You are probably right, but I could see them putting in both Georgia and Alabama.. It should be
FSU
Washington
Michigan
Texas
Yes - thinking putting in Georgia and Alabama is likely- 1 or 2 with a power 5 Conference Championship will most likely be left out -
Should Be:
1)Michigan
2)Washington
3)FSU
4)Texas

And SEC should be left out - because there are 4 slots for 5 p5 champs. Based on 3 undefeated conference champs have to be in - then you must pick between the top 4 1 loss teams - so Alabama beat Georgia and Texas beat Alabama - and since Ohio State didn't play - too bad for them - Texas gets the one loss nod - even though that one loss was worse than the one loss of the other 3.

Not what will happen as the powers that be will want SEC in - I can see em going 2 SEC or even 2 B1G as pathetic as it would be -

Shouldn't Be But Will Be

1)Michigan
2)Washington
3)Alabama
4)Georgia
Here the excuse will be #1 going in should not drop out of top 4 - oh and FSU didn't pass the eye test
Or

1)Michigan
2)Washington
3)Alabama
4)Ohio State
Here the excuse will be Alabama and OS only loss was to #1 (#1 before and after) where as other one loss
teams had worse losses - oh and FSU didn't pass the eye test
FLBear5630
FSU screwed. 13-0. Winning with 1st, 2nd and 3rd string QB and left out. That sucks.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.