Football
Sponsored by

Drake Dabney to TCU

3,579 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by SIC EM 94
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ouch

pitchspork
This doesn't make any sense at all.
Bobsyouruncle
Of all the schools.

Sheesh.
boognish_bear
pitchspork said:

Yep. I hated losing him....but assumed he was leaving to get paid by a bigger program. I don't get this.

I know TCU has a better trajectory than us (almost every P5 team does), but this caught me off guard.
True Grit
Dear Lord… noooooooooooo! I guess Briles called him.
Bobsyouruncle
Yeah I figured he was headed to a true blue blood.
Rg6
Well he saw first hand what Jared Wiley did to us. Still a kick in the nuts.
Dia del DougO
Turrble.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
gobears20
Staff
Threw up in my mouth on this one
Daveisabovereproach
pitchspork said:

"not a big loss"

- premium board
BigGameBaylorBear
*****him. You're dead to our school now

Wish the worst for him and whoop his ass next season
ABC BEAR
boognish_bear said:

Ouch

COMMITTED. What does that mean anymore?
ImwithBU
He saw what their TE did to us this year and said I can do that
Daveisabovereproach
dstaylor57
Must have a girlfriend at tcu. No other logical explanation.
Realitybites
boognish_bear said:

Q: I don't get this.

A: I know TCU has a better trajectory than us (almost every P5 team does).
Well, there it is.
pitchspork
Realitybites said:

boognish_bear said:

Well, there it is.

But it's really not that much better? They didn't make a bowl either. And while they had recent success, so did we. The trajectories for both our programs aren't hot.
Aberzombie1892
pitchspork said:

Realitybites said:

boognish_bear said:

Well, there it is.

But it's really not that much better? They didn't make a bowl either. And while they had recent success, so did we. The trajectories for both our programs aren't hot.

Logic and reasoning aren't welcome around these parts.
chriscbear
TCU runs the same kind of offense BU will run in 2024, No ? He has one year of eligibility left ? Don't get it.
Daveisabovereproach
pitchspork said:

Realitybites said:

boognish_bear said:

Well, there it is.

Our recent success was with a different coordinator and different offensive system. Two years is not really that recent in the grand scheme of things. Momentum is a big deal in football, and we have none. We might actually have negative momentum
pitchspork
No Quarterback said:

pitchspork said:

Realitybites said:

boognish_bear said:

Well, there it is.

Our recent success was with a different coordinator and different offensive system. Two years is not really that recent in the grand scheme of things. Momentum is a big deal in football, and we have none. We might actually have negative momentum

lol I'm not saying we have good momentum. We definitely have negative momentum.

But so does TCU! That's what I'm saying. He went from a program with negative momentum to a program with negative momentum. That probably can't pay him more than we can, NIL wise, and that runs a similar spread offense that doesn't emphasize tight ends.

He's not even getting a change of scenery! TCU is 45 minutes north of where he already spent most of his career, in the same conference, playing the same teams he's already played.

It just doesn't add up at all.
bear2be2
chriscbear said:

TCU runs the same kind of offense BU will run in 2024, No ? He has one year of eligibility left ? Don't get it.
No. Spavital is from the Air Raid tree. Briles is a veer and shoot guy. Both are spread offenses, but they're very different schemes.
Daveisabovereproach
TCU went to a natty last year.

They had a down year like us, but they can pitch it as a rebuilding year. That's the big difference. Dave is going into year 5 with 3 terrible years under his belt.
Daveisabovereproach
Aberzombie1892 said:

pitchspork said:

Realitybites said:

boognish_bear said:

Well, there it is.

Logic and reasoning aren't welcome around these parts.

Person Over Player Airlines is now welcoming priority boarding on flight 03-09 non-stop service to Cope nhagen
Realitybites
pitchspork said:

Big 12 records in the college football playoffs:

OU: 4 invites (last invite 4 years ago), 0-4 record
TCU: 1 invites (last invite last year), 1-1 record
UT: 1 invite (this year), ?-? record

Everyone else: 0 invites

TCU is the only Big 12 team to win a College Football Playoff game.

As much as I hate to say it, our programs aren't even comparable right now. Their staff can make a legitimate case that they are rebuilding. Our staff can make a legitimate case that...if they get 6 wins next year and go to a minor bowl (which would be a miracle in and of itself) they won't get fired?

Heck, we aren't even comparable to Texas Tech.

But that's what happens when you unnecessarily fire the most successful coach in your program's history.
pitchspork
Realitybites said:

pitchspork said:

TCU: 2 invites (last invite last year), 1-1 record

As much as I hate to say it, our programs aren't even comparable right now. Their staff can make a legitimate case that they are rebuilding. Our staff can make a legitimate case that...if they get 6 wins next year and go to a minor bowl (which would be a miracle in and of itself) they won't get fired?

But that's what happens when you unnecessarily fire the most successful coach in your program's history.
Yah we suck I get it. Enough self loathing, I understand why someone would transfer away from us.

The TCU part is the weird part. He has one year left, why would he go to a program making a "rebuilding" case. They have better excuses than we do but they still sucked last year. Would have thought he'd transfer to a winning team.
PartyBear
Can I ask y'all why it is you don't realize everyone is a hired gun now? I think outside of Baylor or at least the bubble of this site everyone else gets this. It's just pretty common knowledge in fact.
pitchspork
PartyBear said:

Can I ask y'all why it is you don't realize everyone is a hired gun now? I think outside of Baylor or at least the bubble of this site everyone else gets this. It's just pretty common knowledge in fact.

None of us are saying otherwise? Who are you directing this question to?

We're confused because we figure he'd go somewhere he could (1) win now in an offense better suited to him and (2) get paid more than what we we are offering. TCU isn't really slam dunk for any of that.

None of us are in "woe is me I thought he'd be green and gold forever" mode.
bear2be2
I think some here overrate Dabney's market. He was a three-star recruit out of high school and remains a three-star recruit as a transfer, ranked No. 10 at his position by 247.

He's a good player, but there are better ones available to the blue blood programs looking for a tight end.

His most likely landing spot was always likely to be a peer program of ours. It sucks that it ended up being TCU.
pitchspork
bear2be2 said:

I think some here overrate Dabney's market. He was a three-star recruit out of high school and remains a three-star recruit as a transfer, ranked No. 10 at his position by 247.

He's a good player, but there are better ones available to the blue blood programs looking for a tight end.

His most likely landing spot was always likely to be a peer program of ours. It sucks that it ended up being TCU.

Fair take.

Maybe he just wanted out of the Dave Aranda Experiment. In that case, TCU basically provides a Baylor-like experience, just with a different coaching staff. Someone mentioned a girlfriend, who knows maybe that plays a role. If he has a Baylor girlfriend he's not gonna be too far from her being up the road a little ways at TCU.

It feels like this decision has to be about intangibles like that. The football / $$ logic of it doesn't make much sense otherwise.
wgeralds
bear2be2 said:

i agree with you fully. there are a lot of tight ends out there with athletic bodies who can catch. the blue blood programs expect their TE's to be that...and have successful blocking percentages. drake did not do that. nor did kelsey johnson, jake roberts, or klop...or any OL for that matter the entire year.

sucks that its TCU but can you blame any player on this roster getting away from dave aranda and the current state of this "program?" i can't.

pitchspork
Thinking about it a little more, if he was willing to stay in-conference for probably comparable NIL money, I'm a little surprised he didn't transfer to Kansas.

Winning program with a demonstrated upward trajectory that just hired Grimes as Offensive Coordinator. Which for all the woes of Grimes, his offense could at least be counted on to set up big plays for tight ends. I don't know much about their roster at tight end though--maybe they're already set up well there and weren't interested?

Wacoraisedbear
Maybe all bears secretly want to be frogs
Aberzombie1892
Realitybites said:

pitchspork said:

TCU: 2 invites (last invite last year), 1-1 record

TCU hasn't been to the playoffs twice.

Also, most programs would happily trade an elite year for a few bad years if the alternative is permanent mediocrity (Tech).
BUATX2000
dstaylor57 said:

Must have a girlfriend at tcu. No other logical explanation.
probably a boyfriend.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.