Football
Sponsored by

The Cost of Losing Briles

24,299 Views | 235 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by RegentCoverup
OnField6158
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Current Senior, seems as though this is an unpopular opinion or that most students don't care about the politics and bureaucracy beyond "did we win the game?" so looking for some input here.

The cost of firing Art Briles, regardless of his guilt on any of the proposed offenses, was too great. CAB single-handedly increased the quality of Baylor's incoming Freshmen classes (the whole student body, not just recruiting classes), increased donations by alumni to the university, and gave Baylor a national presence.

Baylor was taken down by an incompetent BOR and an antagonistic media that needlessly targeted a school that lacked significantly more or less occurrences of sexual assault/harassment than any other P5 school. Now Baylor has become the joke of the Big XII, hiring a Coach who is astoundingly unwilling to compromise and clearly incapable of adapting to the style of offense needed for success in the Big XII. I cannot express how frustrating it was watching Solomon fail to connect with wide open receivers and panic under pressure, and how much more frustrating it was watching him sent out again and again each drive. We're going to see kids change their commitments and we're going to see high profile players transfer, a loss to an FCS team with this caliber of players is never acceptable - I do not believe Baylor will ever be relevant under Rhule unless he radically alters his strategy.

Zach Smith needs to come out, because Drew Galitz seemed to be the only one who showed up to play last night.
The_barBEARian
Sorry Kid. I was a student at Baylor from '04-'08 during the Guy Morris? years. Fan support sucked. Facilities sucked. Atmosphere sucked. But even Morris? could win 3-4 games a year. MR has blown up CAB's legacy in two weeks... both Rhule and Rhodes should be running stadium steps until their feet bleed. If we go 0-12 will someone pls shave off MR's neck beard?
ArlingtonFarm Fingercuffs
The kids could really win my heart with a few cutting signs, or even a "Coach Art Briles" chant
OnField6158
A few buddies and I tried to start a "Put in Smith" chant but the student section wasn't having it.

Planning on making a "Time for Anu quarterback" sign for the next home game.
The_barBEARian
BenchSolomon said:

A few buddies and I tried to start a "Put in Smith" chant but the student section wasn't having it.

"A nu QB" LoL! Love it!
PartyBear
In summer of 16 I put the cost at about 1 billion over the next 5 years including all the indirect costs.
Michibear
BenchSolomon said:

Too ambiguous. Could be read as a statement of support for "anu quarterback."

Maybe,
"Anu it! You blew it!
Put in #thezach_smith!"

Tylerbear
No more AnuS
BillDauterive
Prepare your AnuS!
Boatshoes
Quote:

The cost of firing Art Briles, regardless of his guilt...

See, this kind of crap is what really has me angry at Baylor.

This is supposedly a Christian institution. Do you think God looks at things from this sort of an ends justifies the means perspective? And yet, that is precisely what Baylor's board of regents did, throwing an exemplary employee under the bus in order to try and sweep inconvenient facts about the way their sunday school trained student body behaves in college under the rug and avoid trying to have to challenge the Obama DOJ in court over the "dear colleague" letter.

By the way, the University of California is suing to preserve DACA. Do the !@$)(*@) leftists have more faith in their unbelief than we have in our belief?

It's simply never OK for a Christian or a Christian institution to say "regardless of his guilt."

Art Briles was exonerated in writing by the very people who fired him. He should never have been let go.
Lund Vernquist
#anustarts
OnField6158
Applemac_G4 said:

Quote:

The cost of firing Art Briles, regardless of his guilt...

See, this kind of crap is what really has me angry at Baylor.

This is supposedly a Christian institution. Do you think God looks at things from this sort of an ends justifies the means perspective? And yet, that is precisely what Baylor's board of regents did, throwing an exemplary employee under the bus in order to try and sweep inconvenient facts about the way their sunday school trained student body behaves in college under the rug and avoid trying to have to challenge the Obama DOJ in court over the "dear colleague" letter.

By the way, the University of California is suing to preserve DACA. Do the !@$)(*@) leftists have more faith in their unbelief than we have in our belief?

It's simply never OK for a Christian or a Christian institution to say "regardless of his guilt."

Art Briles was exonerated in writing by the very people who fired him. He should never have been let go.
Regardless of his guilt, Baylor has been irreparably damaged by the actions of the BOR and the dismissal of Art Briles. I'll stand by that any day of the week.

Won't be doing as much of our "Christian mission" now that donations are walking out the back door with Briles and the university has lost much of its respect from a national perspective. If you want to stand on a moral high ground that's fine but you've still damaged the student body and the university as a whole.
BillDauterive
Lund Vernquist said:

#anustarts
anus tarts? You might want to talk to your doctor about that.
TDSteele
I am not down with running down Solomon. He is a good athlete. Had a bad night last night. He can play if you let him do what he does which is RUN THE ZONE READ. If you aren't going to do that play Smith and throw it 55 times a game regardless of the outcome. Problem is we do neither.
TDSteele
Doesn't matter what QB plays if we continue the current scheme.
OnField6158
TDSteele said:

I am not down with running down Solomon. He is a good athlete. Had a bad night last night. He can play if you let him do what he does which is RUN THE ZONE READ. If you aren't going to do that play Smith and throw it 55 times a game regardless of the outcome. Problem is we do neither.
I would be inclined to agree with you if he hadn't overthrown passes to multiple open receivers that could have resulted in touchdowns.
Robert Wilson
It's pushing $1B. What's the cost of P5 vs AAC for eternity?
Michibear
BillDauterive said:

Lund Vernquist said:

#anustarts
anus tarts? You might want to talk to your doctor about that.
TDSteele
I agree with you BenchSolomon. He should have been lifted at the half but in game 1 he played pretty well. It is just not a scheme which will allow anyone to be successful as it currently exists and that is the crux of our problem.
TDSteele
No screens at all last night. All we run is the sideline fly. Anybody see a jet sweep or a bubble screen last night? I have to assume Anu is making the correct reads as the playbos called. Otherwise, how can you justify keeping him in the game?
OnField6158
TDSteele said:

No screens at all last night. All we run is the sideline fly. Anybody see a jet sweep or a bubble screen last night? I have to assume Anu is making the correct reads as the playbos called. Otherwise, how can you justify keeping him in the game?
I believe there was a single screen for a loss. I remember watching a Solomon audible in the second half that resulted in a loss as well.
TDSteele
Aight. I concede that could have occurred. Something isn't right though on this scheme. I just am not about busting out the player.
bunation
BenchSolomon said:

Current Senior, seems as though this is an unpopular opinion or that most students don't care about the politics and bureaucracy beyond "did we win the game?" so looking for some input here.

The cost of firing Art Briles, regardless of his guilt on any of the proposed offenses, was too great. CAB single-handedly increased the quality of Baylor's incoming Freshmen classes (the whole student body, not just recruiting classes), increased donations by alumni to the university, and gave Baylor a national presence.

Baylor was taken down by an incompetent BOR and an antagonistic media that needlessly targeted a school that lacked significantly more or less occurrences of sexual assault/harassment than any other P5 school. Now Baylor has become the joke of the Big XII, hiring a Coach who is astoundingly unwilling to compromise and clearly incapable of adapting to the style of offense needed for success in the Big XII. I cannot express how frustrating it was watching Solomon fail to connect with wide open receivers and panic under pressure, and how much more frustrating it was watching him sent out again and again each drive. We're going to see kids change their commitments and we're going to see high profile players transfer, a loss to an FCS team with this caliber of players is never acceptable - I do not believe Baylor will ever be relevant under Rhule unless he radically alters his strategy.

Zach Smith needs to come out, because Drew Galitz seemed to be the only one who showed up to play last night.
Best post in weeks.
bunation
TDSteele said:

Otherwise, how can you justify keeping him in the game?
Answer?

Rhule's misplaced ego in trying to erase his predecessor's stamp on this team.

Zack Smith was ALWAYS the better choice. His performance against Boise State, under all the antagonistic media coverage, should go down has maybe the BEST PERFORMANCE EVER in a game by a true freshman quarterback in Baylor football history.

Rhule is a fool.
Jacques Strap
Quick google search: the Big 12 paid out around $30 million per school and the AAC paid $3 million. Ignore tier 3 rights and say the difference is $27 million if we drop to AAC.

Present value of $27 million @ 5% for 30 years is $415 million. You can play with the discount rate or the number of years all you want but it's still a big number. You can say P5 revenues will decline because of ESPN's issues but it is still a big number.

ScottS
Briles is available.
JXL
Any reason to assume this would not have happened if we had kept Briles?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/theres-a-way-to-expel-baylor-for-its-scandal-should-the-big-12-so-decide/
Malbec
Jacques Strap said:

Quick google search: the Big 12 paid out around $30 million per school and the AAC paid $3 million. Ignore tier 3 rights and say the difference is $27 million if we drop to AAC.

Present value of $27 million @ 5% for 30 years is $415 million. You can play with the discount rate or the number of years all you want but it's still a big number. You can say P5 revenues will decline because of ESPN's issues but it is still a big number.

And then there's ticket sales, foundation giving, merchandising....combine everything together and you can expect loss of near $50MM per year. Oh yeah, it's a big number.
Robert Wilson
That's why I say it could be pushing a B.
Jacques Strap
... and then we fired the guy responsible for the new stadium and the best freshman class ever. No wait, we didn't fire him, we paid off his contract! We're paying our best coach ever not to coach us!

tpbu12
Internet tough guy said:

The kids could really win my heart with a few cutting signs, or even a "Coach Art Briles" chant
Sorry; but F*** that. These kids need to understand how Briles players (only a few) screwed all of us long term for what they did. Briles is done. Its over. Thanks for the two Big XII titles and the Heisman. But it is over. Time to move on, and if moving on means a **** season, then so be it. Its only football after all, no reason to void your character with a CAB chant.
PrideBU
Robert Wilson said:

I was at the AAC board and they don't seem fond of Baylor.

I would guess the CUSA or MWC as a more likely landing spot for our Bears.
Jacques Strap
PrideBU said:

Robert Wilson said:

I was at the AAC board and they don't seem fond of Baylor.

I would guess the CUSA or MWC as a more likely landing spot for our Bears.
AAC already has two Texas teams in SMU and UH. Do they want 3?

CUSA has Rice, North Texas, UTSA, UTEP. Maybe they send So. Miss and UAB to their east division and we go there for an almost all TX division to lower travel costs.
lobobear
This whole thing just breaks my heart. Especially the calls for Briles to return. Yes, he brought us a lot of pride for a couple of years. He brought us two Big 12 championships after decades in the desert. And a Russell Athletic Bowl championship.

But his setting up a separate system of discipline for the football team, his bringing in young men of questionable character, and his willful ignorance (putting it in the best possible light) have led to the complete embarrassment of the university and permanent tarnishing of the university's reputation. The letter did not absolve Briles of anything. Claiming that is foolish. The current situation is worse than the Bliss-Dennehy situation. And although there is no doubt that the BoR, Ramsower, and others have their share of blame for their catastrophically bad crisis management, letting Briles off the hook is tragic. Whitewashing him and calling for his return just makes it worse.

Briles is not the Messiah. He was a false prophet. He brought us two years of joy. But also brought us many many years to come of soul-searching, payoffs, and worse. If even one of the young women who Baylor has paid a settlement had her life ruined by one of the young men that Briles brought in, isn't that enough? Those young women are your sisters in Christ. Where is your compassion for them?
Robert Wilson
How is life as a sheep? Do you enjoy it? I'm sure it's simple. That part is probably nice.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.