Football
Sponsored by

No draft thread

2,555 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by cowboycwr
Fre3dombear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quite the predicament we've gotten ourselves into
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Fre3dombear said:

Don't sweat it. Our Big Boy Football days are over. No pressure. No diamonds. No stress. Most importantly, no "Bad Dudes"!
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Aberzombie1892
No one expected the new look Big 12 to produce a first round draft pick, so no one here cares.
BigGameBaylorBear
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Fre3dombear said:

Don't sweat it. Our Big Boy Football days are over. No pressure. No diamonds. No stress. Most importantly, no "Bad Dudes"!

With our new TE Trigg and potentially Snaxx coming back on campus we are officially back in the kid saving business!
ALLBEAR
Remember we build Persons here. Not players

So wack
BUATX2000
pErSoN oVeR pLaYeR has been a real treat.
BaylorLit 01
Insurance salesmen over NFL prospects
BaylorLit 01
Baylor did get mentioned in first round. Mel Kiper referred to us like you would an FCS team.
ALLBEAR
BaylorLit 01 said:

Baylor did get mentioned in first round. Mel Kiper referred to us like you would an FCS team.
"5 sacks, but it was against Baylor"
william
no bremond.
no baylor.

- 3GR

go bears!

release the hounds!!

Go Bears!
BUGWBBear
Aranda deserves a nut kick for every draft pick not belonging to Baylor.
BaylorLit 01
The good news is the rest of the Big 12 is about as irrelevant as Baylor. Arizona was the only new big 12 teams to have a pick so far.
william
david tepper walks into a bar ....

... removes a guys cap ....

- KKM

to be continued!

Go Bears!
Fre3dombear
Basically espn successfully shadowbanned the big 12

Enjoy
Big12Fan2024
The draft pretty much confirms why there is a $50+ million gap between the B1G and SEC and the new Big 12 in football and it's only going to get wider.
Stefano DiMera
Haha... even in our good years our longest tenured player in the NFL was a deep snapper.

MrGolfguy
Stefano DiMera said:

Haha... even in our good years our longest tenured player in the NFL was a deep snapper.
boykin_spaniel
Sadly, do not have much draft history as is. Yes I am aware we had a handful of successful dudes in 80s and 90s and a few in the early days of pro football. We became a doormat in the late 90s and early 2000s and produced a punter.

Briles revitalized us, and while he had a number of first round picks none lasted in the league. I don't think teams knew how to work with spread guys as much then but none really wowed except one year by RGIII.

Pitre and Bernard are performing better in the pros than any Briles player. Getting guys drafted definitely looks good. Not saying it doesn't, but having guys play at a decent level in the pros looks even better.
Stefano DiMera
MrGolfguy said:

Stefano DiMera said:

Has anyone played longer than the 15 years of Jon Weeks?
Stefano DiMera

MrGolfguy
Stefano DiMera said:

MrGolfguy said:

Stefano DiMera said:

Yes, kicker Matt Bryant 18 seasons (Weeks is at 14 years). But the wear & tear on a LS or K is nothing like all our position players that had 10+ year careers - apples to oranges.
Ray Crockett, DB 14 years
Ronnie Lee, TE/OL 14 years
Bobby Maples, C 14 years
Fred Miller, OL 13 years
Justin Snow, TE 13 years
Paul Dickson, OL 13 years
Mike Singletary, LB 12 years
Plus 10 guys with 10 or 11 years
including: Ronnie Bull, RB
Cotton Davidson, QB
Santana Dotson, DL
James Francis, LB
Dennis Gentry, RB
Bill Glass, DE
Cedric Mack, DB
boykin_spaniel
I don't think any of those guys were drafted in the past 20 years. Easier said than done but we need to find and develop some more Pitre's and Bernard's
MrGolfguy
The Teaff years were the good years
Stefano DiMera
I was talking about recent history when we were good since we were talking about Arandas lack of development.
cowboycwr
Stefano DiMera said:

Easy to have a long career in a position where your body is not getting beat up, you don't have to worry about younger guys being more physical and overpowering you, etc.

Sort of why it is rare to see a catcher in baseball have very long careers (without switching positions). The wear is extreme. Or a QB that gets sacked a lot.

And why kickers can have careers into their 40s.
whitetrash
Stefano DiMera said:

MrGolfguy said:

Stefano DiMera said:

Matt Bryant, the sole bright spot of the Dirty Dave Roberts era.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Bryant
cowboycwr
boykin_spaniel said:

Sadly, do not have much draft history as is. Yes I am aware we had a handful of successful dudes in 80s and 90s and a few in the early days of pro football. We became a doormat in the late 90s and early 2000s and produced a punter.

Briles revitalized us, and while he had a number of first round picks none lasted in the league. I don't think teams knew how to work with spread guys as much then but none really wowed except one year by RGIII.

Pitre and Bernard are performing better in the pros than any Briles player. Getting guys drafted definitely looks good. Not saying it doesn't, but having guys play at a decent level in the pros looks even better.
We had more than just a punter drafted in those years.

96 was our last year with more than 2 players drafted for a while (until 2011) with 2 of them being decent (Fred Miller and Daryl Gardener).

After that we had players drafted in 97, 99, 01, 03, 05, 06, 07, 09. Sure not the list like a blue blood gets but in those years some of the following players were drafted:

Gary Baxter (played 7 seasons- 6 really with on on IR that forced him to retire)
Derrick Fletcher who played 6 years
Kelvin Garmon who played 6 seasons and one on practice squad
Ethan Kelley who played 5 years
Khari Long
Willie Andres
C.J. Wilson
Jason Smith

and the punter Daniel Sepulveda.

So it wasn't just him and several played for right around the average length of an nfl career or longer.

Also, I would say Xavien Howard has had a good NFL career for a Briles guy..... especially for a defensive guy on teams not know for defense.

Same For Andrew billings
Killing Floor
Big 12 had 31 players drafted. Even if you exclude Texas and OU that's 17. K state and TCU had 3, Arizona had 3 if you want to tally that for next time. Kansas and Tech and UCF had 2.

For all y'all saying Dave developed anyone, there's your answer. Nice doesn't win football games.
boykin_spaniel
I did forget Xavien. He's been very good. Billings has stuck around as a fine rotational piece or gap stop.

Briles' best two NFL players are defensemen. Terrence Williams was okay and arguably Briles most successful offensive pro. The guys you listed were okay, but we need more.

My point remains. We need to get more guys into the league that do something of note. Bernard became the Bills starting Mike this past season and had over 140 tackles and 6 sacks. Note worthy. Pitre is a defensive centerpiece for a rebuilding Texans team. Obviously not everyone will be that caliber but more guys sticking in the league beyond a few years bouncing around practice squads.

I think it helps with recruiting when guys like that come back during an off week and interact with the team. "Come here and we can prepare you for the league just like we did Bernard, Pitre, Howard, etc."

I'd take Gabe Hall not getting picked and being an 8 year vet vs being a 5th round pick and out of the league after 3 years and 1 tackle.
Stefano DiMera
How Jeff Ireland has remained in the league boggles me
FLBear5630
I did see Baylor in the highlights for some of the Draftees. BYU, UT. We are the highlight reel team making players look good
historian
Is Xavien still the highest paid CB in the NFL?
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
cowboycwr
boykin_spaniel said:

I did forget Xavien. He's been very good. Billings has stuck around as a fine rotational piece or gap stop.

Briles' best two NFL players are defensemen. Terrence Williams was okay and arguably Briles most successful offensive pro. The guys you listed were okay, but we need more.

My point remains. We need to get more guys into the league that do something of note. Bernard became the Bills starting Mike this past season and had over 140 tackles and 6 sacks. Note worthy. Pitre is a defensive centerpiece for a rebuilding Texans team. Obviously not everyone will be that caliber but more guys sticking in the league beyond a few years bouncing around practice squads.

I think it helps with recruiting when guys like that come back during an off week and interact with the team. "Come here and we can prepare you for the league just like we did Bernard, Pitre, Howard, etc."

I'd take Gabe Hall not getting picked and being an 8 year vet vs being a 5th round pick and out of the league after 3 years and 1 tackle.
Honestly I am not concerned with how guys do in the league. Sure it helps a little in recruiting but really the focus is on winning games at Baylor, not getting players ready for the next league. That is why teams don't run pro offenses or defenses.

Several of our guys didn't stick because of injuries or the fact that Briles was ahead of his time and the league had not adapted to the type of offense they now use where the guys from the Briles years would probably be more successful.

I'd take any amount of NFL playing time with their contracts and saving the money to be set for life.
cowboycwr
historian said:

Is Xavien still the highest paid CB in the NFL?
He is currently a free agent but now that the draft is done that will probably change soon. Unless teams think he is too old (30 years old) and is done....
BUATX2000
cowboycwr said:

boykin_spaniel said:

Honestly I am not concerned with how guys do in the league. Sure it helps a little in recruiting but really the focus is on winning games at Baylor, not getting players ready for the next league. That is why teams don't run pro offenses or defenses.

Several of our guys didn't stick because of injuries or the fact that Briles was ahead of his time and the league had not adapted to the type of offense they now use where the guys from the Briles years would probably be more successful.

I'd take any amount of NFL playing time with their contracts and saving the money to be set for life.

RGIII would be wearing 4 rings by now if he had been drafted 3 years later.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.