Most starts at QB for Baylor all time?

2,164 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by HistoryDoc97
Stats97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Who has started the most games at QB for BU all time? I have some ideas but wondered if someone could do the research for me or find it on a site?

There are more games per season today, so that would favor recent teams but due to the portal, it's less likely to see a four (or even a three) year starter. And Except for Griffin, the Briles QBs were backups first, even Robert didn't start his first game (and missed most of 2009 with injury).

Brewer eventually transferred but he did start late in 2017 and much of the next three seasons. Griffin still might be a candidate even with missing part of 2009. I know JJ Joe started for most of his four seasons (1990-93) so he might be a possibility? Carlson played a lot for four seasons and started entirely his senior year and I know rotated some with Muecke in other seasons but I wasn't sure about starts. I don't think either Neal or Jay Jeffrey was a four year starter, but I'll defer to others for the 70's and early 80's.
IowaBear
My guess would be Brewer
Big12Bear
I'll go with Jeff Watson ('94-'97). Started Freshman year and led us to an Alamo Bowl appearance.

Split a few games with Jermaine Alfred junior year, but started every game Frosh, Soph and Senior years.
ImABearToo
Charlie.
ZachTay
Sadly, CBIII

Could be a much different state for Baylor Football today if Aranda would have made better decisions at the most important position in D-I football. Fact.
BigGameBaylorBear
The legend Charlie Brewer. It's a shame the concussions got the best of him
Robert Wilson
It sure felt like the answer should be Jeff Watson...
chorne68
Charlie gave his all. He was very good for Baylor. He has not gotten due credit.
MrGolfguy
Baylor QB Legends Brad Goebel & JJ Joe can't be far down the list.
Big_Pumpin
Not Greg Cicero
Stats97
I was at BU for most of Watson's tenure. I counted 36 starts. (11 in 94, 9 in 95, 5 in 96 and 11 in 97). JJ Joe was a senior when I was a Freshman in 1993, and I recall he started 10 of our 11 games that year (I don't think he started the TCU homecoming game that year but I believe played in it). JJ had some injuries that season but played thru them (one of which was the SMU game that we didn't attempt a pass in). Unless he was injured, I think JJ started all the games in 91 and 92 (would be 24 total since both were bowl seasons). If true, that would be 34 plus whatever he started in 1990 (where if I remember, he took over starting duties during the season).
Robert Wilson
Big_Pumpin said:

Not Greg Cicero
Well played.
Waco1947
Stats97
The later seasons have more available box scores but correct me if needed. Brewer came off the bench in the 2017 West Virginia game in relief of Zach Smith, and then started the remaining 5 games. I believe he started all 13 in 2018 and all but the Kansas game in 2019 (12 starts). And all 9 in 2020. That would give him 39, which would narrowly exceed JJ Joe and Jeff Watson (although I am not certain about Joe's starts in 1990, if it was at least 6, Joe would have more I think).

I didn't think it would be Griffin because of the 2009 injury but on further review , if he didn't miss any starts after week one in 2008, 2010 and 2011 (and I don't think he did), 11 in 2008, 3 in 2009, 13 in 2010, and 13 in 2011. That would be 40, one more than Brewer?
Bearsalwayswin
agreed
Big12Bear
Stats97 said:

The later seasons have more available box scores but correct me if needed. Brewer came off the bench in the 2017 West Virginia game in relief of Zach Smith, and then started the remaining 5 games. I believe he started all 13 in 2018 and all but the Kansas game in 2019 (12 starts). And all 9 in 2020. That would give him 39, which would narrowly exceed JJ Joe and Jeff Watson (although I am not certain about Joe's starts in 1990, if it was at least 6, Joe would have more I think).

I didn't think it would be Griffin because of the 2009 injury but on further review , if he didn't miss any starts after week one in 2008, 2010 and 2011 (and I don't think he did), 11 in 2008, 3 in 2009, 13 in 2010, and 13 in 2011. That would be 40, one more than Brewer?
Edit: Jalan McClendon started the infamous Ok State game in 2018.
oorahpa
an all time list of q.b. starts would be of interest starting port WWII. We had a number of All Americans and high 1st round NFL guys starting with Adrian Burk (#2 1st round also baseball All SWC 1st base) Larry Isbell Cotton Davidson, Don Trull and others. interesting to see a list of the starts
GoodOleBaylorLine
As you note, not sure about starts (because he platooned with Muecke) but Cody Carlson played in a lot of games, including three bowl games. He would have had 47 possible games in his 4 year career, and I bet he played in at least 40 of them. Because of the way Teaff platooned them, I would say it doesn't really matter if he technically started the first play of the game because he was playing the QB position (not back up or breathers for the starter).
Stats97
Big12Bear said:

Stats97 said:

Edit: Jalan McClendon started the infamous Ok State game in 2018.

With that Oklahoma State game reducing from Brewer's starts, this means that Griffin definitely had more starts. It sounds like it comes down to JJ or RG3. I'm pretty confident in my count of 40 starts for Griffin. I need confirmation that JJ started all games in 1991 and 1992, but if he did, he'd have 36 total. This means if JJ started 4 games in 1990 he'd tie, and if started 5 games, he'd likely have the most starts of any BU quarterback. (I need to confirm my own memory that JJ did not start the 93 homecoming game against TCU)
HistoryDoc97
Ok, so I am a 1997 Baylor Grad who has followed this site since the beginning of Baylor Fans. I never felt compelled to post before. I am a sports historian, and this fell in my wheel house and got me obsessing over the answer. So here goes.

The winner is RGIII. I also counted 40 starts. 10 his freshman year, 4 the next, then 13 and 13.

J.J. Joe had 38. He only started 4 games in 1990. Steve Needham started the first two games of 1990 for an injured Brad Goebel. Gobble started games 3 and 4, but in game four broke his hand, ending his Baylor career. Joe came in relief in game four and led us to a comeback win at Tech. J.J. started the next 4 game, but broke his thumb in practice before the Arkansas game, and Needham finished out the season. Joe started all 12 games the next two years, and 10 of the 11 his senior year (he did not start the TCU homecoming debacle in 1993).

Someone referenced the older players. Before the 1970s, freshmen were not allowed to play on varsity, so none of them would have more than three years, and if they made a bowl game every year (which we clearly didn't), the most they could have was 36.

Teaff did a lot of QB platooning with people like Carlson and the early 1980s QBs, so the only ones with a real shot at the title are RGIII, Joe, Shapen, and Jeff Watson. RGIII takes the title.
MrGolfguy
I knew JJ Joe had to be up there
Stats97
HistoryDoc97 said:

Ok, so I am a 1997 Baylor Grad who has followed this site since the beginning of Baylor Fans. I never felt compelled to post before. I am a sports historian, and this fell in my wheel house and got me obsessing over the answer.

Thanks HistoryDoc! Glad to know the answer. I figured it came down to JJ Joe in 1990, and you got the info needed! I had forgotten his injury late that season. I am a 1997 Baylor Bear myself, so I guess the "sports historian" characteristics are shared by those of us who walked the BU campus regularly in the mid 90's!
OldBurlyBear86
HistoryDoc93 said:

Ok, so I am a 1997 Baylor Grad who has followed this site since the beginning of Baylor Fans. I never felt compelled to post before. I am a sports historian, and this fell in my wheel house and got me obsessing over the answer. So here goes.

The winner is RGIII. I also counted 40 starts. 10 his freshman year, 4 the next, then 13 and 13.

J.J. Joe had 38. He only started 4 games in 1990. Steve Needham started the first two games of 1990 for an injured Brad Goebel. Gobble started games 3 and 4, but in game four broke his hand, ending his Baylor career. Joe came in relief in game four and led us to a comeback win at Tech. J.J. started the next 4 game, but broke his thumb in practice before the Arkansas game, and Needham finished out the season. Joe started all 12 games the next two years, and 10 of the 11 his senior year (he did not start the TCU homecoming debacle in 1993).

Someone referenced the older players. Before the 1970s, freshmen were not allowed to play on varsity, so none of them would have more than three years, and if they made a bowl game every year (which we clearly didn't), the most they could have was 36.

Teaff did a lot of QB platooning with people like Carlson and the early 1980s QBs, so the only ones with a real shot at the title are RGIII, Joe, Shapen, and Jeff Watson. RGIII takes the title.
I was at the ASU game in Tempe when JJ came in. I thought that was his first game.
HistoryDoc97
J.J. did play I. The ASU game, he just didn't start till after leading us back against Tech. Needham got to start against Nebraska and ASU in the first two games in place of Goebel. Needham played pretty poorly, but then did ok in the games he started after J.J. Got hurt. He beat Arkansas, and Rice and lost to UT. That was the year we turned down the Copper Bowl because we had to accept before we played Texas, and if we beat Texas, and then A&M won on Thanksgiving, we would have gone to the Cotton Bowl. Instead, we lost and went to no bowl, and Texas got to go to the Cotton Bowl and be absolutely embarrassed by Miami.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.