Lance Leipold Has a Chance to Pass Bill Snyder as the Greatest Kansas College Footbal

829 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bear8084
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/2024/07/16/lance-leipold-has-a-chance-to-pass-bill-snyder-as-the-greatest-kansas-cfb-coach/
Bleed Green
...in 25 years...
parch
This is so stupid.

This is what the guy who wrote the ESPN article that Heartland is spinning off into clickbaity nonsense actually said:

Quote:

A couple of years ago, after I visited Lawrence for a piece on Lance Leipold and his building job at KU, I told a Kansas State fan that, as sacrilegious as it might sound, Leipold was putting off major Bill Snyder vibes. I was evidently underselling it.

Both Snyder and Leipold took their respective jobs at K-State and KU at a time of shocking ineptitude. In the 10 years before Snyder arrived at Kansas State in 1989, the Wildcats had a 0.221 win percentage with an average SP+ percentile rating of 22.1%. In the 10 years before Leipold arrived at Kansas, the Jayhawks had a 0.154 win percentage and a 16.8% average percentile rating -- even lower than K-State's devastating late-1980s lows.

• Their first years on the job: Snyder 1-10 (10.4% percentile rating), Leipold 2-10 (7.4%).
  • Second years: Snyder 5-6 (42.2%), Leipold 6-7 (54.4%).
  • Third years: Snyder 7-4 (71.4%), Leipold 9-4 (78.8%).
Leipold inherited a job even harder than Snyder's, and through three years, he has reached even higher highs.
That's it, a factually correct reading of their first three years put together. Do not read Heartland, it's just regurgitated food.
bear2be2
Bleed Green said:

...in 25 years...
Yeah, Leipold would have to coach until he's 80 to do at Kansas what Snyder did at Kansas State.

I'm a huge Lance Leipold fan, but this is recency bias at its worst. Kansas State was every bit as bad as Kansas when Snyder took over, and he turned them into a legit national title contender in the 90s. And then after Ron Prince came and threatened to undo his legacy in three years, he came back looking like Monty Burns and did it again.

Leipold's awesome. Snyder's a legend.
Killing Floor
I don't follow Kansas because I grew up cool but I know one thing, he's turned that program from a loser to a competitor and KU has a legit chance to win the conference this season.
Let’s Go!
historian
If we are not going to Arlington this year (very unlikely). The Big 12 teams I would most like to see get there are the two in Kansas, certainly more than any of the newbies or the schools from Texas. OSU is up on that list too.
tmcats
this is liepold's year to prove all the media narratives correct. he has 30 seniors and supposedly a heisman qb running the show.

compare him to snyder if you choose but it only shows ignorance in so doing. k-state was a year or so from shuttering its football program when the legendary one took over. i don't believe that's the case at ku.

for those of you looking for the truth and a real feel good story, watch

Bear8084
bear2be2 said:

Bleed Green said:

...in 25 years...
Yeah, Leipold would have to coach until he's 80 to do at Kansas what Snyder did at Kansas State.

I'm a huge Lance Leipold fan, but this is recency bias at its worst. Kansas State was every bit as bad as Kansas when Snyder took over, and he turned them into a legit national title contender in the 90s. And then after Ron Prince came and threatened to undo his legacy in three years, he came back looking like Monty Burns and did it again.

Leipold's awesome. Snyder's a legend.

This. Dude has to get to where Mangino was first before he even attempts to climb onto the giant pedestal of Snyder coaching at KSU.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.