Any news yet?

1,753 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by morethanhecouldbear
GTownBear15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I keep checking the forums every hour or so hopeful to read some official news regarding Dave's future as our head coach. I keep getting disappointed.

I want to believe so bad that our university cares about the product put on the field every Saturday.
IowaBear
Nope! Mack is a gutless coward too! Easy to see why him and Aranda are such big pals
morethanhecouldbear
We aren't canning him mid season.

I would also think about this - you don't want to fire a guy just to fire him and not have a capable guy ready.

If our administration fires him and targets a guy like Traylor and Traylor says no, where are we then?

We could be in even worse shape due to having to take a high risk chance on plan b, c or d.
dycbaylor02
morethanhecouldbear said:

I would also think about this - you don't want to fire a guy just to fire him and not have a capable guy ready.

If our administration fires him and targets a guy like Traylor and Traylor says no, where are we then?

We could be in even worse shape due to having to take a high risk chance on plan b, c or d.

He is here until 2029. ~$25mm buyout at the least. Blame Mack for his own stupidity and this contract. Kansas just did a similar thing as well lol. These Admins are just complete idiots.

https://baylorbears.com/news/2022/2/15/football-baylor-aranda-finalize-contract-extension.aspx

Aberzombie1892
GTownBear15 said:

I keep checking the forums every hour or so hopeful to read some official news regarding Dave's future as our head coach. I keep getting disappointed.

I want to believe so bad that our university cares about the product put on the field every Saturday.

You should wait to do that until if/when we reach loss 7.
BellCountyBear
dycbaylor02 said:

He is here until 2029. ~$25mm buyout at the least. Blame Mack for his own stupidity and this contract. Kansas just did a similar thing as well lol. These Admins are just complete idiots.

https://baylorbears.com/news/2022/2/15/football-baylor-aranda-finalize-contract-extension.aspx

Maybe, but how much $$$ is Baylor losing in less concession sales, less tickets sold, less contributions for scholarships/NIL, etc.?
IowaBear
So 6-6 is good!? Why not can him and roll with an intern? These players deserve a chance… a fresh start could do wonders. We see it all the time where teams re set mid season behind interns and win a few games.
This team isn't winning **** with that dip **** as HC
dycbaylor02
BellCountyBear said:

dycbaylor02 said:

Maybe, but how much $$$ is Baylor losing in less concession sales, less tickets sold, less contributions for scholarships/NIL, etc.?

You and most of everyone on this board knows they do not give A F abt any of that. As long as the program does not have legal issues the state of this program is of no issue to the powers that be. They have reduced enterprise risk for the school by installing this guy and keeping him in the lead. The school collects a beautiful pay check of 30mm+ a year from the big 12 to cover any losses. This is not an institution of football.
boykin_spaniel
Brent Key got his job off being an interim.
tstuck
A reasonable take is he gets the chance to get bowl eligible. Once that is officially over(7 loses) check back. Also as noted by other posters, we need to already have some candidates in discussion before we fire him.
bear2be2

No coaching shortlist is one name long. That's silly.

And the potential of being turned down by a target isn't a good reason to keep a failed head coach.
Killing Floor
Our options are :
Rhoades takes another job
Booster who already feels burned and used for buying out Briles has a change of heart and buys out Aranda

W/L isn't a factor. We're 5-17 of our last 22 games and we lost to a service academy. Dave's not getting fired for losing to Big12 rivals.
Let’s Go!
bear2be2
boykin_spaniel said:

Brent Key got his job off being an interim.
So did Spencer Danielson at Boise State, and he's got them in line to make the playoff this year.
dycbaylor02
tstuck said:

A reasonable take is he gets the chance to get bowl eligible. Once that is officially over(7 loses) check back. Also as noted by other posters, we need to already have some candidates in discussion before we fire him.

Once the round table of coach firings start towards the end of the season we will see if they decide to cut him. As shietty as Mack is he has a wish list of 2nd tier candidates he wants to talk to. Maybe out of 10, 3 are out of a job by end of year and we bring in more retreads instead of gunning for tried and true winning P5 head coaches.
boykin_spaniel
Tech is the final straw. Making a move might get a half full stadium for homecoming. I love Aranda the man. Want nothing more than for him to succeed but other than 2021 this team just hasn't been able to play 4 quarters of football and some of our losses are on head scratching coaching and play calling decisions. Now they have the yips. I'm not anti going for it on 4th down like some but call a good play for don't go for it. Running it up the gut against BYU summarizes the bad play calling.
bear2be2
tstuck said:

What makes that the reasonable take after a 2-4 first half and 0-3 start to Big 12 play?

This year was Dave Aranda's chance to prove he's not an incompetent head coach. He's proved the opposite in half a season. There's no good reason to ride the plane all the way to the crash site, when we have an ejector button/seat and a potentially viable parachute.

Give someone else a chance to salvage this mess. Dave got his chance and failed ... again.
dycbaylor02
bear2be2 said:

tstuck said:

What makes that the reasonable take after a 2-4 first half and 0-3 start to Big 12 play?

This year was Dave Aranda's chance to prove he's not an incompetent head coach. He's proved the opposite in half a season. There's no good reason to ride the plane all the way to the crash site, when we have ejector button/seat and a potentially viable parachute.

Give someone else a chance to salvage this mess. Dave got his chance and failed ... again.

Patterson? Who would you see as interim? I feel like we need a cheerleader like Khenon.
boykin_spaniel
Players seem to respond well to Dallas Baker. I'd put him as interim and see if he's the next Dabo Swinney.
bear2be2
dycbaylor02 said:

bear2be2 said:

tstuck said:

This year was Dave Aranda's chance to prove he's not an incompetent head coach. He's proved the opposite in half a season. There's no good reason to ride the plane all the way to the crash site, when we have ejector button/seat and a potentially viable parachute.

Patterson? Who would you see as interim? I feel like we need a cheerleader like Khenon.
I don't really care at this point, but I'd probably go with Khenon Hall. He'd at least inject some energy into the captain's seat.

The point isn't that I think an interim will turn the season around. It's that I'm now convinced that Aranda can't.

And if we're going to continue to lose this season, I'd rather do it with someone other than Dave Aranda leading the team.
Stranger
morethanhecouldbear
dycbaylor02 said:

I find it hard to believe the buyout is $25m, but agree with the overall sentiment of your post that AD's who sign these guys to these guaranteed buyouts are idiots.

BUATX2000
There is no benefit that I can think of to firing him mid season. This team lacks the talent to win games. A lot of that is on Aranda, but I don't think another interim coach is going to save the season for us. Besides, $25mm is a lot of money to flush down the toilet. Our best hope is to find a reason to fire him for "cause". Let him hang around and hope he f's up.

I don't even see him being shown the door at the end of the year to be honest. They are going to point to his recruiting success this year and try to sell the fans on Baylor needing stability at the HC position.

In reality, in the era of NIL, they may not be wrong. I'd rather have that $25mm to spend on players. We are losing games because we have not been able to recruit depth for 3 years due to the stupidity and stubbornness of the AD and administration.

Perhaps now we start recruiting dudes who can actually play and let the players go win games.

Frankly until the BOR stands up and says "let's raid the endowment" so they can fire everyone from Linda to the waterboy, we are probably stuck with this **** show, so at least save the money to get better quality of players.

BluesBear
dycbaylor02 said:

One has to believe the President and someone on the Board signs these agreements. They need to be ushered out as well.
BUGWBBear

This season is already a write-off. Players don't care, so why should we?
BU82EX
I don't think Mack will push the button early out of respect for Aranda. I'm guessing Mack is hovering over the ejection button but might be using the top heavy schedule to justify playing out the string. We've played ranked opponents 3 of the last 4 weeks so the real test may be how Dave does against some of the 2nd and 3rd tier teams. We should expect more, but don't count on Mack exceeding our expectations.
morethanhecouldbear
bear2be2 said:

And the potential of being turned down by a target isn't a good reason to keep a failed head coach.
The only thing that is silly is your reading comprehension.

I did not say the coaching list was a list of one.

I merely stated that if we didn't get our target i.e. a guy like Traylor, we'd have to go to other guys "plan b, c and d".
bear2be2

bear2be2 said:

I merely stated that if we didn't get our target i.e. a guy like Traylor, we'd have to go to other guys "plan b, c and d".
We won't have just one target. Any good coaching search has a good Plan B and C.

In any event, we'd have to get to about Plan Q before we'd be in "worse than Aranda" territory anyway, so your original point is moot.
ScottS
Make Baylor football great again
Jack Bauer
The MVP award goes to Dave Aranda"s agent.
johnnychimpo
Aberzombie1892 said:

GTownBear15 said:

You should wait to do that until if/when we reach loss 7.

Nobody bothered taking notes from Spav's days in San Marcos. November 11th, 11/1, is what they called Spav day, that's the average day of the year that he picked up his 7th loss of the season there.
RightRevBear
BUATX2000 said:

There is no benefit that I can think of to firing him mid season. This team lacks the talent to win games. A lot of that is on Aranda, but I don't think another interim coach is going to save the season for us. Besides, $25mm is a lot of money to flush down the toilet. Our best hope is to find a reason to fire him for "cause". Let him hang around and hope he f's up.

I don't even see him being shown the door at the end of the year to be honest. They are going to point to his recruiting success this year and try to sell the fans on Baylor needing stability at the HC position.

In reality, in the era of NIL, they may not be wrong. I'd rather have that $25mm to spend on players. We are losing games because we have not been able to recruit depth for 3 years due to the stupidity and stubbornness of the AD and administration.

Perhaps now we start recruiting dudes who can actually play and let the players go win games.

Are we sure it is their stupidity and stubbornness? Scott Drew has had no problem recruiting. I think the NIL debacle and the poor recruitment lands right at Aranda's feet. I don't trust him to use the NIL money to get good players. Finn is a great example. We shelled out NIL money to a guy that does not fit our system and is worse than the QB we already had on campus in it.
Killing Floor
Let's not forget which inept AD is going to pick the next coach if the current coach is removed.
Let’s Go!
Big guy
Killing Floor said:

Let's not forget which inept AD is going to pick the next coach if the current coach is removed.
Thanks for ruining everyone' week...... month.....year.......
morethanhecouldbear
bear2be2 said:

bear2be2 said:

We won't have just one target.
Still sticking with that one are we?

I never said we had one target. Hence, "plan b, c or d.".

Plan B, C and D means you have more than one target.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.