Baylor Football

Game Thread: Baylor Looks to Upset Arizona State in Tempe

Bears face Sun Devils.
October 2, 2026
112k Views
669 Comments
Story Poster
SICEM365 GAME THREAD

Baylor at Arizona State

First True Road Game • Big 12 Night Game
Saturday, October 3, 2026 • 9:30 p.m. CT • ESPN
Mountain America Stadium • Tempe, AZ
Records Baylor 3-1 (1-0 Big 12) | Arizona State 2-1 (1-0 Big 12)
Coaches Dave Aranda (Year 7) vs. Kenny Dillingham (Year 4)
Kickoff 9:30 p.m. CT / 7:30 p.m. MT / 10:30 p.m. ET
TV ESPN — Roy Philpott, Brock Osweiler, Sherree Burruss
Radio John Morris, Geff Gandy, Bryson Jackson • KRZI 1660 AM / 92.3 FM
Stream ESPN / ESPN app • BaylorBears.com radio
Series Arizona State leads 2-0
Last meeting Arizona State 27, Baylor 24 (Waco, Sept. 20, 2025) • Gomez 43-yard FG as time expired
Last game Baylor 23, Colorado 13 (Sept. 26)
Line Arizona State -3.5 • O/U 49.5 • as of Oct. 2

Why This Game Matters

  • First true road game of 2026 (Auburn was a neutral site in Atlanta)
  • Night game in Tempe after ASU’s bye; Sun Devils opened league play with a 24-17 win over Kansas in London
  • Baylor has held all four opponents under 20 points, the longest such streak since 2005
  • DJ Lagway is a week removed from a rusty return: 19-of-39, 221 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT vs. Colorado
  • Initial injury report is clean — no Bears listed doubtful or questionable

Series History

  • Arizona State leads 2-0
  • 1990 in Tempe: ASU 34, Baylor 13 — Baylor’s only previous trip to Tempe
  • 2025 in Waco: ASU 27, Baylor 24 on Jesus Gomez’s 43-yard field goal as time expired
  • ASU this year: W vs. Morgan State, L 48-20 at Texas A&M, bye, W 24-17 vs. Kansas (London)

Keys for Baylor

  1. Survive the environment. Aranda called it loud and electric at night. First conference home night game for a lot of this ASU roster.
  2. Get Lagway on schedule. Efficiency has to jump from the Colorado line. 
  3. Win up front. The ASU offensive line is still searching. ASU’s Cutter Boley (736 yards, 9 TD) is the guy to pressure.
  4. Keep the scoring defense intact. Plenty of bend but don’t break for Baylor in 2026. ASU is built to drive on offense. Be better. 
  5. Finish drives. 23 points against Colorado will not be enough if the Sun Devils get their home offense going. Don’t leave points on the field. 

Players to Watch

Baylor: QB DJ Lagway • RB Dawson Pendergrass • WR Gavin Freeman, Jayden McGowan, Dre'lon Miller • OL Koltin Sieracki • LB Travion Barnes • S Bo Onu, Micah Gifford • DL Hosea Wheeler, Traevon Mitchell

Arizona State: QB Cutter Boley • RB Kyson Brown • WR Reed Harris • K Jesus Gomez • HC Kenny Dillingham

SicEm365 Arizona State week reading

SICEM365
669 Comments
Discussion from...

Game Thread: Baylor Looks to Upset Arizona State in Tempe

43,166 Views | 669 Replies | Last: 38 min ago by historian
bear2be2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Why can't Lagway hit the easy throws? It's really frustrating.
Delmar 2.0
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TOUCHDOWN B:TCHES!!!
I ain't quite as dumb as I seem
-- (P.C. 1974)
bear2be2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That TD throw was infinitely more difficult than the throw before it. It's wild,
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Porter!!!!!
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
BearFan33
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lagway misses the easy one and then makes a tough one for a touchdown!
El Oso
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The rout is on. Way to go Baylor!
JXL
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Porter had to dig that pass out of the dirt
Blackout Sniper
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Missed the open pass but made a window throw between 3 players. Smh
snarebear55
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ASU fans leaving in droves. Half the student section already left at halftime to party on Mill
Stefano DiMera
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dillingham has punchable Alex Bregman face.
JXL
How long do you want to ignore this user?
JXL said:

Porter had to dig that pass out of the dirt


Well I guess I didn't see it correctly lol. Still a TD and loving it.
whitetrash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
On the slo-mo replay of the INT, you could see ASU fans in the stands at the other end of the field going into the surrender cobra while the ball was still in the air.
BearFan33
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Watching the replay I think the asu qb was trying to throw it away out of bounds but instead threw a duck that died inbounds
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mitch Henessey said:

I was hopeful that we would win tonight, but at no point did I think that we would clearly look like the better team.

I dig it.

So far, we are mostly dominant. I did not think baylor would do that against any B12 team this year.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
bear2be2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Stefano DiMera said:

Dillingham has punchable Alex Bregman face.

He does, but I really like him both as a coach and a dude.
Realitybites
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bear2be2 said:

Mitch Henessey said:

I was hopeful that we would win tonight, but at no point did I think that we would clearly look like the better team.

I dig it.

I liked this matchup for us more than most here. But I never envisioned us just kicking a Kenny Dillingham-coached team's ass.

This is one of the best performances of the Dave Aranda era.


Yes.

Quote:

This legitimately looks like a conference championship game contender in this year's Big 12.


Probably want to slow the roll there.
Smashmouth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Came to play tonight..Sic Em
Mitch Henessey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bear2be2 said:

Mitch Henessey said:

I was hopeful that we would win tonight, but at no point did I think that we would clearly look like the better team.

I dig it.

I liked this matchup for us more than most here. But I never envisioned us just kicking a Kenny Dillingham-coached team's ass.

This is one of the best performances of the Dave Aranda era. This legitimately looks like a conference championship game contender in this year's Big 12.
I kinda had a "will we, won't we?" thing going on with Dillingham's older sister in high school. I wish I had, just for the bragging rights.

Their oldest brother was an incredible HS LB, for the record.
bear2be2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Realitybites said:

bear2be2 said:

Mitch Henessey said:

I was hopeful that we would win tonight, but at no point did I think that we would clearly look like the better team.

I dig it.

I liked this matchup for us more than most here. But I never envisioned us just kicking a Kenny Dillingham-coached team's ass.

This is one of the best performances of the Dave Aranda era.


Yes.

Quote:

This legitimately looks like a conference championship game contender in this year's Big 12.


Probably want to slow the roll there.

If you disagree, you haven't watched enough Big 12 football this year.

I'm not saying this Baylor team is a Big 12 title contender. But tonight's version of it is.
Dia del DougO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Can Baylor actually play four decent quarters of football?
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Realitybites said:

bear2be2 said:

Mitch Henessey said:

I was hopeful that we would win tonight, but at no point did I think that we would clearly look like the better team.

I dig it.

I liked this matchup for us more than most here. But I never envisioned us just kicking a Kenny Dillingham-coached team's ass.

This is one of the best performances of the Dave Aranda era.


Yes.

Quote:

This legitimately looks like a conference championship game contender in this year's Big 12.


Probably want to slow the roll there.

Considering the parity in this league, it's feasible.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Dia del DougO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ASU's pass protection must be worse than ours.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
whitetrash said:

On the slo-mo replay of the INT, you could see ASU fans in the stands at the other end of the field going into the surrender cobra while the ball was still in the air.

I heard the Baylor fans chanting "Sic 'em Bears!" during the kick.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
bear2be2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dia del DougO said:

ASU's pass protection must be worse than ours.

Our pass protection is pretty good. And our pass rush is elite.

We entered tonight's game tied for fourth in the nation in sacks per game.
PaperBear89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Stefano DiMera said:

Dillingham has punchable Alex Bregman face.

I get the sentiment, but I think Cody Bellinger (also from the Phoenix area) is a much better target.
bear2be2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mack is their best back. I understand why their fans are excited about the true freshman.
BearFan33
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Refs didn't let us sub there
BUGWBBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
D is gassed now. FIRE CDA!!!
bear2be2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That was a great play by McCalister to save a TD.
BearFan33
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think we dial up pressure here. Guys doing a good job disguising blitzes
Mitch Henessey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Another pleasant surprise: we've been physically battering ASU and look like the better conditioned team. It's been a while since I've seen a Baylor team have this type of advantage over a similarly rated program.
bear2be2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mitch Henessey said:

Another pleasant surprise: we've been physically battering ASU and look like the better conditioned team. It's been a while since I've seen a Baylor team have this type of advantage over a similarly rated program.

We're so deep on the D-line it's crazy. That's going to be a massive advantage over the course of this season.
BUGWBBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's only 84 degrees here, D. Man up!
JudgeBear1845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mitch Henessey said:

Another pleasant surprise: we've been physically battering ASU and look like the better conditioned team. It's been a while since I've seen a Baylor team have this type of advantage over a similarly rated program.

Not since Coach Kaz days...
BearlyBeloved
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I expect to see Nate Bennett by midway of fourth quarter.
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.