Football
Sponsored by

Is recruiting really going that well?

33,320 Views | 246 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MilliVanilli
Mothra
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I keep seeing how many of the Rhule supporters are touting what a great recruiter Rhule is and how well he's done thus far, but wonder about such claims. The class currently has 1 committed 4 star out of 19 commits and is ranked 6th in the Big 12. That doesn't seem so great when compared to recent classes. So what is the basis for this claim? Is it because no one expected us to recruit so well given how bad the season went and because of the scandal? Is it because some are anticipating some highly ranked recruits to commit in the near future? What is it?
Chanceux
Not too bad on paper with all things considered. Bout on par with what Briles did his first few years. Course Briles didn't have a shiny new stadium to cruit to.
MilliVanilli
Chanceux said:

Not too bad on paper with all things considered. Bout on par with what Briles did his first few years. Course Briles didn't have a shiny new stadium to cruit to.
He had the promise of one though, whether he was projecting wishful thinking or not is another issue.

LionBear
It's early but the guys Rhule & Company have a shot at look pretty great to me.

It was interesting to see a load of Briles guys go over to UT and basically amount to nothing.

I know you #TrustTheProcess, Mothra. Keep posting your fake ass **** headlines though...

Brian Ethridge
Staff
Mothra said:

I keep seeing how many of the Rhule supporters are touting what a great recruiter Rhule is and how well he's done thus far, but wonder about such claims. The class currently has 1 committed 4 star out of 19 commits and is ranked 6th in the Big 12. That doesn't seem so great when compared to recent classes. So what is the basis for this claim? Is it because no one expected us to recruit so well given how bad the season went and because of the scandal? Is it because some are anticipating some highly ranked recruits to commit in the near future? What is it?
It is going well and will get better.
geewago
TV55 said:

It was interesting to see a load of Briles guys go over to UT and basically amount to nothing.

Like a big portion of all the players that have gone there lately.
bear2be2
Baylor's class is currently ranked 25th nationally by rivals, 26th nationally by ESPN and 31st nationally by 247sports. And there are a still a lot of dominoes left to fall.

In the context of both Baylor's recent recruiting and the surrounding circumstances, this is a very good class.
MilliVanilli
geewago said:

TV55 said:

Well, these recruits were supposedly the first batch of four and five stars to come to Baylor over UT...perhaps proving maybe Baylor was about to start recruiting like UT in a negative way, star chasing.

Brian Ethridge
Staff
Chanceux said:

Avg Rating:
2008 - 81.31 (9)
2009 - 82.87 (10)
2010 - 85.00 (8)
2011 - 82.66 (8)
2012 - 85.48 (3)
2013 - 84.68 (3)
2014 - 85.39 (3)
2015 - 85.20 (5)
2016 - 86.03 (5)
2017 - 84.60 (5)
2018 - 86.00 (6)

So, the average rating is .03 from the highest it has been in the composite era and one of those in the 2018 is 2 star punter. He's an Army All-American though. Kickers and punters get no love. Add some of the recruits in consideration for the final spots and it will be the best class on average since Reedy, but this class is scheduled to qualify. Tech and West Virginia are ahead of Baylor at this moment with two more commits.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
MilliVanilli said:

geewago said:

TV55 said:

Well, these recruits were supposedly the first batch of four and five stars to come to Baylor over UT...perhaps proving maybe Baylor was about to start recruiting like UT in a negative way, star chasing.
I think it is fitting a square peg in the round hole, injuries, and mistakes. Duvernay isn't the type of WR for the Herman offense. Hudson has been injured, like Bowen at TCU. Cobb is indicted for allegedly robbing people. Urquidez is the one bust at this point as he hasn't seen the field despite Texas losing OL like a kid with an F on his report card.
boognish_bear
D. C. Bear
Mothra said:

Rivals had our class 3rd or 4th ranked in the league last year. They put that class together with one guy committed in December when they arrived. The average rating of the 19 committed recruits is a bit higher this season than last and, according to Rivals, three of them are 4-Star recruits.

These classes are on par with or better than other recent Baylor classes.
la1037
Brian Ethridge said:

Chanceux said:

Avg Rating:
2008 - 81.31 (9)
2009 - 82.87 (10)
2010 - 85.00 (8)
2011 - 82.66 (8)
2012 - 85.48 (3)
2013 - 84.68 (3)
2014 - 85.39 (3)
2015 - 85.20 (5)
2016 - 86.03 (5)
2017 - 84.60 (5)
2018 - 86.00 (6)

So, the average rating is .03 from the highest it has been in the composite era and one of those in the 2018 is 2 star punter. He's an Army All-American though. Kickers and punters get no love. Add some of the recruits in consideration for the final spots and it will be the best class on average since Reedy, but this class is scheduled to qualify. Tech and West Virginia are ahead of Baylor at this moment with two more commits.

Wow. We have some really good talent over the last 3 years. Weird how some think we have none.

With on field strategy lacking, our only hope is for Rhule to out recruit the field. Maybe he can do it. I honestly hope so.
"We are unaware of any situation where you personally had contact with anyone who directly reported to you being the victim of sexual assault or that you directly discouraged the victim of an alleged sexual assault from reporting to law enforcement or university officials. Nor are we aware of any situation where you played a student athlete who had been found responsible for sexual assault.”
- Chris Holmes, Baylor General Counsel
Mothra
TV55 said:

It's early but the guys Rhule & Company have a shot at look pretty great to me.

I know you #TrustTheProcess, Mothra. Keep posting your fake ass **** headlines though...

So, its the uncommitted prospects that you believe we will get that has you thinking Rhule is a great recruiter and will get a great class? Or is it the players currently committed?

Not sure why you're bringing up Briles recruits on this thread. Lots of great prospects go to UT and end up sucking. To me that says more about their coaching than the recruits themselves. Never know what they would have done in Briles' system. He consistently got the most out of most of his players, but that's neither here nor there.

Not sure what fake headlines I've posted. I asked a simple question based on what I see as a pretty good, but far from great class. It wasn't meant as a shot at Rhule, but a question for those who keep proclaiming greatness in terms of recruiting.
D. C. Bear
la1037 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Chanceux said:

Avg Rating:
2008 - 81.31 (9)
2009 - 82.87 (10)
2010 - 85.00 (8)
2011 - 82.66 (8)
2012 - 85.48 (3)
2013 - 84.68 (3)
2014 - 85.39 (3)
2015 - 85.20 (5)
2016 - 86.03 (5)
2017 - 84.60 (5)
2018 - 86.00 (6)

Wow. We have some really good talent over the last 3 years. Weird how some think we have none.

With on field strategy lacking, our only hope is for Rhule to out recruit the field. Maybe he can do it. I honestly hope so.

Your idea that on field strategy is lacking is not supported by evidence.
Mothra
bear2be2 said:

Baylor's class is currently ranked 25th nationally by rivals, 26th nationally by ESPN and 31st nationally by 247sports. And there are a still a lot of dominoes left to fall.

In the context of both Baylor's recent recruiting and the surrounding circumstances, this is a very good class.
So you're one who sees it as great based on the circumstances, it sounds like. I get that.

I would say there's still a lot of dominoes to fall for a lot of teams. A number of teams in front and behind us have far less recruits at this point, so there is certainly a possibility of moving up or down.
Mothra
Brian Ethridge said:

Chanceux said:

Avg Rating:
2008 - 81.31 (9)
2009 - 82.87 (10)
2010 - 85.00 (8)
2011 - 82.66 (8)
2012 - 85.48 (3)
2013 - 84.68 (3)
2014 - 85.39 (3)
2015 - 85.20 (5)
2016 - 86.03 (5)
2017 - 84.60 (5)
2018 - 86.00 (6)

Thanks. Sounds like its a deeper class then, without some of the star power at the top end. Is that fair to say?
Mothra
D. C. Bear said:

la1037 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Chanceux said:

Avg Rating:
2008 - 81.31 (9)
2009 - 82.87 (10)
2010 - 85.00 (8)
2011 - 82.66 (8)
2012 - 85.48 (3)
2013 - 84.68 (3)
2014 - 85.39 (3)
2015 - 85.20 (5)
2016 - 86.03 (5)
2017 - 84.60 (5)
2018 - 86.00 (6)

Given the number of different sets we ran this year offensively, I'd say there was pretty strong evidence that Rhule and Nixon were trying a bunch of stuff to see what worked. The offense that played against TCU looked a lot different than the offense that began the year. Many of the plays weren't even part of the arsenal the first few games.

I do give them credit for the improvement in schemes toward the end of the season. While I don't know if this offense will ever be great, it certainly should improve next year - significantly.
Mothra
D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

Rivals had our class 3rd or 4th ranked in the league last year. They put that class together with one guy committed in December when they arrived. The average rating of the 19 committed recruits is a bit higher this season than last and, according to Rivals, three of them are 4-Star recruits.

Thanks. Don't have access to Rivals. I believe 247 had last year's class around 39 or 40? I agree that was a great job by Rhule and staff, no question. My question this year was based on the ranking on 247, which has us 6th best in the Big 12.
D. C. Bear
Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

Thanks. Don't have access to Rivals. I believe 247 had last year's class around 39 or 40? I agree that was a great job by Rhule and staff, no question. My question this year was based on the ranking on 247, which has us 6th best in the Big 12.

You do have access to Rivals. https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2018/big12/football

I don't know which recruiting service is best, I think they all probably provide a good rough measure.
bear2be2
Mothra said:

bear2be2 said:

So you're one who sees it as great based on the circumstances, it sounds like. I get that.

I would say there's still a lot of dominoes to fall for a lot of teams. A number of teams in front and behind us have far less recruits at this point, so there is certainly a possibility of moving up or down.
This class is poised to be as good as or better than any Briles class. So I view it as very good in a universal context. But the surrounding circumstances would seem to prove the premise you're questioning, whether or not Rhule's a good recruiter.

After putting together a top-40 class in two months last year and a top-30 class (at least) this year off a 1-11 season, I'm not sure how that's still a question.
MilliVanilli
bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

bear2be2 said:

This class is poised to be as good as or better than any Briles class. So I view it as very good in a universal context. But the surrounding circumstances would seem to prove the premise you're questioning, whether or not Rhule's a good recruiter.

After putting together a top-40 class in two months last year and a top-30 class (at least) this year off a 1-11 season, I'm not sure how that's still a question.
Yep, and now it's up to him to develop this talent in the coming years and win.

I think he's up to it.

la1037
D. C. Bear said:

la1037 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Chanceux said:

Avg Rating:
2008 - 81.31 (9)
2009 - 82.87 (10)
2010 - 85.00 (8)
2011 - 82.66 (8)
2012 - 85.48 (3)
2013 - 84.68 (3)
2014 - 85.39 (3)
2015 - 85.20 (5)
2016 - 86.03 (5)
2017 - 84.60 (5)
2018 - 86.00 (6)

1-11 and from top 10 perennial offense over last 5 to one of the worst in NCAA football is pretty strong evidence. Plus a horrid defense, clock mismanagement, missed blocking assignments, wrong alignments and misuse of time outs.

Rhule's style requires having the best players. I'm hoping he finds a way to do that.
"We are unaware of any situation where you personally had contact with anyone who directly reported to you being the victim of sexual assault or that you directly discouraged the victim of an alleged sexual assault from reporting to law enforcement or university officials. Nor are we aware of any situation where you played a student athlete who had been found responsible for sexual assault.”
- Chris Holmes, Baylor General Counsel
MilliVanilli
la1037 said:

D. C. Bear said:

la1037 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Chanceux said:

Avg Rating:
2008 - 81.31 (9)
2009 - 82.87 (10)
2010 - 85.00 (8)
2011 - 82.66 (8)
2012 - 85.48 (3)
2013 - 84.68 (3)
2014 - 85.39 (3)
2015 - 85.20 (5)
2016 - 86.03 (5)
2017 - 84.60 (5)
2018 - 86.00 (6)

1-11 and from top 10 perennial offense over last 5 to one of the worst in NCAA football is pretty strong evidence. Plus a horrid defense, clock mismanagement, missed blocking assignments, wrong alignments and misuse of time outs.

Rhule's style requires having the best players. I'm hoping he finds a way to do that.
Some sure hate acknowledging 2016 happened. That the team melted down like the Nazis in "Raiders of the Lost Ark" by midseason, that most of the recruitment class was lost, that O-line depth was depleted to preposterous levels and no JUCOS were on the team to step up because of the hiring timeline.

But please keep ranting about a mythical sudden demise of a well-oiled Ferrari in the hands of Rhule.

It's not like a P5 losing streak of mostly butt whippings began after October 15th, 2016 or anything...

Brian Ethridge
Staff
Mothra said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Chanceux said:

Avg Rating:
2008 - 81.31 (9)
2009 - 82.87 (10)
2010 - 85.00 (8)
2011 - 82.66 (8)
2012 - 85.48 (3)
2013 - 84.68 (3)
2014 - 85.39 (3)
2015 - 85.20 (5)
2016 - 86.03 (5)
2017 - 84.60 (5)
2018 - 86.00 (6)

Thanks. Sounds like its a deeper class then, without some of the star power at the top end. Is that fair to say?
It's actually got 5 kids that are 4 star somewhere and 3 should be composite 4 star when the updates happen. Throw in 2-5 more 4 star commits and the class jumps to 3rd in the conference and top 25. Those are real possibilities. Being someone that helped rank players from 2011-2016 for 247, I'll say it is pretty inexact for what is out there. Several recruits do get bumps when they commit to a certain school. It happens and currently nobody is likely fighting for Baylor kids evaluations like Colt and I did during that time period. So, to have the class have this high of an average is good if you like rankings.

I also wouldn't call the class top heavy, but more upper middle across the board with the variance from best to worst (not counting the punter at 78) is under 7 points, 90-83, while past classes had from 98 for a WR to 80 for LB.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

We put them all together as well:

https://sicem365.com/football-recruiting/commits
Chanceux
Brian Ethridge said:

Chanceux said:

Avg Rating:
2008 - 81.31 (9)
2009 - 82.87 (10)
2010 - 85.00 (8)
2011 - 82.66 (8)
2012 - 85.48 (3)
2013 - 84.68 (3)
2014 - 85.39 (3)
2015 - 85.20 (5)
2016 - 86.03 (5)
2017 - 84.60 (5)
2018 - 86.00 (6)

Dont really do averages. Not my thing. Mostly count how many 4s and how many 3s. I think Briles got a guy named Griffin in his first year too. If Rhule pulls in Bohanon Ill call it a dang good class.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Chanceux said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Chanceux said:

Avg Rating:
2008 - 81.31 (9)
2009 - 82.87 (10)
2010 - 85.00 (8)
2011 - 82.66 (8)
2012 - 85.48 (3)
2013 - 84.68 (3)
2014 - 85.39 (3)
2015 - 85.20 (5)
2016 - 86.03 (5)
2017 - 84.60 (5)
2018 - 86.00 (6)

Dont really do averages. Not my thing. Mostly count how many 4s and how many 3s. I think Briles got a guy named Griffin in his first year too. If Rhule pulls in Bohanon Ill call it a dang good class.
That's a simple and skewed way to look at it unless football has turned into a one man show.
Dia del DougO
Put it on paper.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Mothra
bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

bear2be2 said:

I hope you're right. I don't see the star power at the top of the class that we saw in the last few years of Briles, however. Perhaps we will pick some up before the end.

I don't put as much stock in the circumstances as you do. Rhule has the benefit of the brand and facilities Briles built, so I guess the fact we are getting good players doesn't come as much of a surprise to me. But to be honest, I never considered Briles a great recruiter.
Mothra
Brian Ethridge said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

We put them all together as well:

https://sicem365.com/football-recruiting/commits
Thanks.
Mothra
Brian Ethridge said:

Mothra said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Chanceux said:

Avg Rating:
2008 - 81.31 (9)
2009 - 82.87 (10)
2010 - 85.00 (8)
2011 - 82.66 (8)
2012 - 85.48 (3)
2013 - 84.68 (3)
2014 - 85.39 (3)
2015 - 85.20 (5)
2016 - 86.03 (5)
2017 - 84.60 (5)
2018 - 86.00 (6)

It's actually got 5 kids that are 4 star somewhere and 3 should be composite 4 star when the updates happen. Throw in 2-5 more 4 star commits and the class jumps to 3rd in the conference and top 25. Those are real possibilities. Being someone that helped rank players from 2011-2016 for 247, I'll say it is pretty inexact for what is out there. Several recruits do get bumps when they commit to a certain school. It happens and currently nobody is likely fighting for Baylor kids evaluations like Colt and I did during that time period. So, to have the class have this high of an average is good if you like rankings.

I also wouldn't call the class top heavy, but more upper middle across the board with the variance from best to worst (not counting the punter at 78) is under 7 points, 90-83, while past classes had from 98 for a WR to 80 for LB.
You think picking up another 2-5 4 stars is a real possibility?
bear2be2
Mothra said:

bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

bear2be2 said:

I hope you're right. I don't see the star power at the top of the class that we saw in the last few years of Briles, however. Perhaps we will pick some up before the end.

I don't put as much stock in the circumstances as you do. Rhule has the benefit of the brand and facilities Briles built, so I guess the fact we are getting good players doesn't come as much of a surprise to me. But to be honest, I never considered Briles a great recruiter.
I've got a chart I put together and posted on baylorfans before the merger that would provide some really good context to this discussion, but I can't get the formatted version on this site. But many of your preconceptions are incorrect. Rhule is recruiting on a very similar level to what Briles did from 2012-15. Briles' 2016 class was on a higher level, but most of those guys never made it to campus.
Chanceux
Brian Ethridge said:

Chanceux said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Chanceux said:

Avg Rating:
2008 - 81.31 (9)
2009 - 82.87 (10)
2010 - 85.00 (8)
2011 - 82.66 (8)
2012 - 85.48 (3)
2013 - 84.68 (3)
2014 - 85.39 (3)
2015 - 85.20 (5)
2016 - 86.03 (5)
2017 - 84.60 (5)
2018 - 86.00 (6)

That's a simple and skewed way to look at it unless football has turned into a one man show.
As good as any other method. Like trying to read tea leaves.
trey3216
Chanceux said:

Brle disnt have allogations of a rape-enabling overhang and dressing 47 people problem either
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.