Football
Sponsored by

8 team playoff talks beginning...

5,523 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SigTauBear
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm not sure I understand. The highest ranked G5 gets an automatic spot every year whether that is ranked 8th or 30th. That is what I said I dont have a problem with. Now some P5's may have the nerve to say that isnt fair but the P5s all make alot more money per year than G5s do. Baylor at 1-11 and with a 25% sanction probably made more than UCF last year.
fadskier
So here are your teams in my scenario:

Big 12: Oklahoma
SEC: Alabama
Big 10: Ohio State
PAC12: Washington
ACC: Clemson
AAC: UCF
CUSA: UAB
MAC: Northern Illinois
MW: Fresno State
Sun Belt: App State

AT-LARGE
Notre Dame
Georgia
Michigan
Washington State

Your task:

award the last two at-large and then seed playoffs.

GO!
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
PartyBear
Who are you asking and why? Who advocated a 12 team play off and that every conference champ gets in?
possible12
Forest Bueller said:

Like I said about a week ago, 12-1 conference champion tOSU getting left out of the dance was the last straw.

It may take a few years, but it will happen now. Likely 8, but hoping for 16.
We just don't consider the difference in the sports sometimes. Tournaments in football are only for 7 on 7. Basketball is a season with tournaments building to one big one.

At some point the length of season and number of games has to be a big consideration in football because of the contact. Course, they were saying that 50 years ago with 9 games.... $ talks. Hell, I'd be for Spring football conference play as well as fall!
fadskier
PartyBear said:

Who are you asking and why? Who advocated a 12 team play off and that every conference champ gets in?
I'm advocating a 16 team playoff. It's for fun. I'm asking everyone who wants to participate. Personally, eight is not enough.

If you don;t want to play, ignore.
fadskier
possible12 said:

Forest Bueller said:

Like I said about a week ago, 12-1 conference champion tOSU getting left out of the dance was the last straw.

It may take a few years, but it will happen now. Likely 8, but hoping for 16.
We just don't consider the difference in the sports sometimes. Tournaments in football are only for 7 on 7. Basketball is a season with tournaments building to one big one.

At some point the length of season and number of games has to be a big consideration in football because of the contact. Course, they were saying that 50 years ago with 9 games.... $ talks. Hell, I'd be for Spring football conference play as well as fall!
The issue with me is that all other divisions have playoffs...except D1.
bear2be2
fadskier said:

PartyBear said:

I'm advocating a 16 team playoff. It's for fun. I'm asking everyone who wants to participate. Personally, eight is not enough.

Sixteen would be more fun, but I think eight is enough to resolve all major conflicts. You get all P5 champions in, you create a path to the national championship for the G5, you afford a way to include Notre Dame (or BYU should the stars align) in the tournament without pushing out a major conference champion and you still have a at least one at-large bid to work with at the end to include a worthy non-champion. At that stage, no one is left with a real beef to complain about.
PartyBear
fadskier said:

PartyBear said:

That's cool I just didnt know who you were asking.
bear2be2
fadskier said:

So here are your teams in my scenario:

Big 12: Oklahoma
SEC: Alabama
Big 10: Ohio State
PAC12: Washington
ACC: Clemson
AAC: UCF
CUSA: UAB
MAC: Northern Illinois
MW: Fresno State
Sun Belt: App State

AT-LARGE
Notre Dame
Georgia
Michigan
Washington State

Your task:

award the last two at-large and then seed playoffs.

GO!
I'd go Florida and LSU with the final two at-larges (I know, puke), and seed the field thusly:

No. 1 Alabama vs. No. 16 Appalachian State
No. 8 Michigan vs. No. 9 Florida
No. 5 Ohio State vs. No. 12 Washington State
No. 4 Oklahoma vs. No. 13 Fresno State
No. 6 Georgia vs. No. 11 Washington
No. 3 Notre Dame vs. No. 14 UAB
No. 7 UCF vs. No. 10 LSU
No. 2 Clemson vs. No. 15 Northern Illinois
xiledinok
If they should expand, ESPN should only let Power 5 in the Playoff. Rewarding those who played less competition would screw Power 5 schools.
The G5 can saddle up some cash and play an independent schedule.
fadskier
xiledinok said:

If they should expand, ESPN should only let Power 5 in the Playoff. Rewarding those who played less competition would screw Power 5 schools.
The problem is that many power 5 won't play g5.
xiledinok
fadskier said:

xiledinok said:

The problem is that many power 5 won't play g5.

They will and do all the time. You only can play one FCS (win) a year to count towards bowl eligibility.
I don't know a Power 5 that doesn't play at least 2 G5 schools a year.
BylrFan
People will complain no matter the number. 4 is fine.
Aberzombie1892
Basically, if the CFP expands, they are unlikely to guarantee a spot to anyone, but, in the event that they do, they would only guarantee a spot to the highest ranked G5 champ. In the case of a guaranteed G5 champ bid, that would serve as the defacto only opportunity for the G5 to make the CFP regardless of how many zero or 1 loss teams come out of the G5 (i.e. similar to how the current format excludes UCF, and the current format would likely continue to exclude UCF even if it defeated 4 P5s OOC in the regular season that included a P5 champ*).

*Look at this season. 13-0 Alabama, 13-0 Clemson, 12-0 Notre Dame, 12-1 Oklahoma, 11-2 Georgia, 12-1 Ohio State, 10-2 Michigan and 10-3 Washington**. Even if UCF's 13-0 included a win over any of those teams (other than already multiple loss Georgia, Washington and Michigan), the ACC champ game loser (which they did beat this season), UNC (which they had on schedule this season but got cancelled), and fill-in-the-blank ranked but non-NY6 P5 - say Washington State, does anyone believe that they would actually get in to the exclusion of 5 of those teams?

**It was easy to rank UCF above Washington this season because it didn't matter - UCF was going to the access bowl regardless and Washington was going to the Rose Bowl regardless. It's similar to how it doesn't matter that Georgia was ranked above Ohio State - Georgia was going to the Sugar Bowl regardless and Ohio State was going to the Rose Bowl regardless. However, the outcome could have easily been different if the exact ranking mattered.
SigTauBear
It's goung to be 8 eventually because of the money, because of ESPN, because it makes all NY6 Bowls involved every year plus a couple of other bowls more relevant ( Outback, Alamo), and there ain't no way the Big Ten are going to risk a third year in a row of being left out ( or the PAC 12 either).
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.