What is the History on Sailor Bear?

14,446 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BUGWBBear
Waco1947
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Why was he on our helmets? I am sorry if already asked.
BylrFan
https://www2.baylor.edu/baylorproud/2017/09/a-quick-look-at-baylors-bear-logos-through-the-years/

retro is the new cool.
chorne68
I sure hope it comes out of hibernation only once every 10 years.
Wichitabear
Lolol. I sure don't want to see him everyday.
Waco1947
"The first Bear directly above is popularly known as Sailor Bear a popular retro logo today, though limited in its modern use. Here's why: In the 1950s when college football was truly regional, and few fans saw logos for teams outside their region a former Disney employee named Arthur Evans visited colleges across the country, offering to draw logos for them. One of them was Sailor Bear which he created not just for Baylor, but for almost any school that had a Bear mascot. (He did the same with other animals; for instance, this tiger, used by LSU, Auburn, Missouri and others.) This 1952 pennant is the first known appearance of Baylor's version of this bear.". Thanks
I think I had that pennant on my wall as a kid in the 50s
Waco1947
Didn't freshmen at one time wear a kind of sailor hat? It seems I remember Mickey Rooney wearing or Juddhead from the Archie series.
william
he was once in a Turkish prison.

And he refused to take off the eponymous hat.

#ballsy

- KKM

Go Bears!

pro ecclesia, pro javelina
Wichitabear
Not in the 70's!
PartyBear
We had at least 2-3 other bear logos prior to the 50s that Baylor website didn't mention at all. In the 80s there was also a secondary and companion to growling bear that got a little bit of use. It was of a full body of a realistic bear standing on his hind legs about to do the sicem with one of his arms. Again like growling bear the logo I described was not cartoonish.

Btw Growling Bear is the only old bear logo who should make appearances on unis if any bear is going to. In fact that logo is more cool than the current bear, we have been using for about 16 or so years now. The current bear while a good improvement from green bear, looks like an emoji.
Mitch Blood Green
Of all the "bears", I like sailor bear the most. Hate it on a helmet. It it runs circles around that green monstrosity.
Waco1947
"Sailor Bear" is a throwback to freshman college days. But with "sailgating" Sailor Bear takes on a new meaning.
Waco1947
"Disney Bear?"
saabing bear
Waco1947 said:

But with "sailgating" Sailor Bear takes on a new meaning.
"In the Naaaaa...Vee!"
GruntTuff
Knew Joey Taylor when I was a student. Rest his soul.

Also knew and had Latin under Elmer Fisher.

Damn...been a long time ago. 5 wins in 4 years under Bridgers and Beall.

But we had lots of fun.

Anyone remember The Catacombs at 10th & Speight.

Cannabis before it was legal. And Carling Black Label for 99cents a six pack at The Milky Way.

Made losses not seem to matter.
chukronos
He came. He sailed. He won.
Waco1947
GruntTuff said:

But we had lots of fun.

Cannabis before it was legal. And Carling Black Label for 99cents a six pack at The Milky Way.

No Bridgets won way more games. Beall was horrible. I know a tight end on that team. He had what 3 wins.
RegentCoverup
It's okay I guess.

I'd like to see Sailor Bear with an AK47.

Give it a little more attitude.
Stranger
GruntTuff said:

But we had lots of fun.

The growling bear is my favorite. I also took Latin under Elmer Fisher and knew Joey Taylor. I never understood why Baylor quit using that logo.

The fuzzy version was also known as the Satanic Bear. Absolutely the worst.

The current bear is nearly as bad. The erstwhile shamed ribbon clerk excuse for an AD, Ian commissioned that one. It looks more like a dog than a bear. It is commonly referred to as Doberman bear. It needs to go away.

The sailor bear is ok but has no place on a helmet.

I have a novel idea. Why not let the team wear gold hats with a green interlocking BU logo on the sides? We might actually start looking like Baylor again.
I'm a Bearbacker
BoonDockSaint
He was a machine gunner on a boat in WW2
william
... and he may or may not have led a small team upriver into Cambodia on a secret mission to assassinate a renegade insane Army Colonel ....

- JKK BHJ

.... again, wearing the self-same cap the entire time.

adalah
Tagged, this seems like a very interesting threadhttp://juragan.club/assets/8/o.pnghttp://juragan.club/assets/8/o.png
william
adalah said:

Tagged, this seems like a very interesting thread
I done wrassled over the idear of whether to place insane before renegade, or the latter. I mean does the man become insane and then renegadeness follows? or does the wanton scurrilous act of renegading loosen one's moral guy-wires allowing the wanton mind-heathen "insanity" to logically follow slipping in like a cockroach on a nighttime crumb raid thru a crack in the kitchen drywall........

- BUmma

BHJ: The Horror, The Horror...........................

[font="MSComicSans"][color="darkgreen"][size=46]D![/size][/color][/font]
Waco1947
John Bridgers
Baylor Bears (Southwest Conference) (19591968)
1959 Baylor 4-6 24 5th
1960 Baylor 8-3 52 T2nd L Gator 11 12
1961 Baylor 6-5 25 T6th W Gotham
1962 Baylor 4-6. 34 T4th
1963 Baylor 8-361 2nd W Bluebonnet 20
1964 Baylor 5-5 43 3rd
1965 Baylor 5-5. 34 T4th
1966 Baylor 5-5 34 5th
1967 Baylor 1-8-1 061 8th
1968 Baylor 3-7 34 5th
Waco1947
John Bridgers
During his Baylor tenure, he compiled a 49-53-1 (.481) record. In his first five seasons, he led the Bears to three bowl games, winning two of them. He installed the Colts' wide-open passing game at Baylor, helping make All-Americans of quarterback Don Trull and wide receiver Lawrence Elkins after a record-breaking 1963 season. In the Bears' 1966 season opener against Syracuse at Baylor Stadium, Bridgers sent in John Hill Westbrook, making the sophomore running back the first black athlete to play for a Southwest Conference school.

Bridgers spent a year on Chuck Noll's first Pittsburgh Steelers staff, where he urged the coach to consider drafting a player he tried to recruit for Baylor, a quarterback named Terry Bradshaw. After the Steelers took Bradshaw with the first overall pick in the 1970 NFL Draft they won four Super Bowls in the next decade.
PartyBear
Didn't we play Texas for the SWC Title in 63 and lost? I mean didn't it amount to the game played for the title not an actual set aside championship game.
Waco1947
PartyBear said:

Didn't we play Texas for the SWC Title in 63 and lost? I mean didn't it amount to the game played for the title not an actual set aside championship game.
Yes and I will hate Duke Carlisle the rest of my life.
Stranger
PartyBear said:

Yes. Trull threw an interception in the end zone to Duke Carlisle, UT qb in at safety, to lose 7-0. Texas won the National Championship against Roger Staubach and Navy in the Cotton Bowl.

Baylor defeated LSU in the Bluebonnet Bowl in Houston in the snow.
I'm a Bearbacker
BUVA
My mother graduated from Baylor in 1950. The suitcase she used throughout her years there has a Sailor Bear decal on it.
Stuck-In-Idaho
It is the absolutely stupedest most crazy emblem on the planet. I can't stand seeing the gay sailor bear
T-REX
Sailor Bear got tired of appologizing for being a Baylor Bear. Sailor Bear was done with ESPN & any other haters. Sailor Bear took up arms & will strike down any & all who stands in his way to VICTORY!!! Sailor Bear is done. Say hello to PIRATE BEAR, THE MOST FEARED TO EVER SAIL THE BRAZOS!!!!! His crew is made up of many who want war with the entire NCAA & will not stop until our trophy cases floweth over!!!! His first mate is Green Bear & his master at arms is Angry Bear. They have yet to lose a battle when fighting side by side! They are setting sail for the port of Lawerance, KS this weekend to strike down the tyrannical rule of the Jay Hawks. Ahoy me lads, we are looking for blood!!!!!

DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
T-REX
KATRIYATSI said:

Waco1947 said:

"The first Bear directly above is popularly known as Sailor Bear a popular retro logo today, though limited in its modern use. Here's why: In the 1950s when college football was truly regional, and few fans saw logos for teams outside their region a former Disney employee named Arthur Evans visited colleges across the country, offering to draw logos for them. One of them was Sailor Bear which he created not just for Baylor, but for almost any school that had a Bear mascot. (He did the same with other animals; for instance, this tiger, used by LSU, Auburn, Missouri and others.) This 1952 pennant is the first known appearance of Baylor's version of this bear.". Thanks
->FileZilla Malwarebytes Rufus

Because it was homecoming and the Athletic Dept/school believed it would be a fun way to celebrate. retor logo for older fans returning. then they decided to wear it again for the last home game with the black helmets as a last hoorah essentially.
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
Moondoggie
Waco1947 said:

Didn't freshmen at one time wear a kind of sailor hat? It seems I remember Mickey Rooney wearing or Juddhead from the Archie series.

My uncle wore a freshman " beanie" in 1950. Not a sailor hat, but a beanie.
Bearsnarl
The Slime Cap. All freshmen had to wear them until Homecomingif we won! If we lost, we had to wear them all year. Nobody did, of course.
historian
I had a cap that I called a beanie as a freshman in 1983.

Slime cap
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Beaneater
T-REX said:

KATRIYATSI said:

Waco1947 said:

->FileZilla Malwarebytes Rufus

Because it was homecoming and the Athletic Dept/school believed it would be a fun way to celebrate. retor logo for older fans returning. then they decided to wear it again for the last home game with the black helmets as a last hoorah essentially.
This week at my grandson's baseball game one of the other parents had a Michigan cooler, with none other than Sailor Bear pretending to be a Wolverine on the side.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.