Baylor resume vs OU resume

4,382 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by boognish_bear
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ok....I know in the long run this will all settle itself since we will play them at least once....but just for internet forum discussion sake....how do voters justify having 1 loss OU ranked ahead undefeated BU right now?

They played stronger opponents in their non-con....but both Houston and UCLA are not exactly stalwarts both sitting with records at 3-5.

OU's best win is over Texas who is no longer ranked. Our best win is over #22 KSU who they just lost to.

I don't see how when looking at the resumes side by side you can justify putting 1 loss OU ahead of no loss BU.

What am I missing? I know OU had the head start of having been highly ranked all year....anything else?

Thee University
Are you serious?

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains And we never even know we have the key"
boognish_bear
Thee University said:

Are you serious?

Give me your reasons
historian
I can only guess, but it's probably some lame excuse about strength of schedule: they beat a lame UCLA while we struggled against Rice. Except we didn't really struggle so much as not entirely blow them out of their own stadium after a slow start. The only other significant difference is the margin of victory over Tech. I'm not sure how much that should matter.

At this stage, I don't think any of it matters much. There are too many biases in favor of blue bloods to take it very seriously. If we win out in November--a possibility--then it will all take care of itself. I'm already thinking about my plans for the first weekend in December.
Self Made Bear
It obviously based on past history and bloodline. If you look at common opponents, we had a convincing win at K-State, where they lost. However, they handled Tech easily while we squeezed out a win I. 2OT.

I say it's a toss up, but would rank the Bears ahead, based on being undefeated and our win on the road at K-State. But, as you say, it will be settled on the field.
Bayloruniversity
Self Made Bear said:

It obviously based on past history and bloodline. If you look at common opponents, we had a convincing win at K-State, where they lost. However, they handled Tech easily while we squeezed out a win I. 2OT.

I say it's a toss up, but would rank the Bears ahead, based on being undefeated and our win on the road at K-State. But, as you say, it will be settled on the field.

We keep winning And it won't matter. Only thing that matters is winning and not the number in front of Baylor. UNTIL the decision for the playoff selection.
historian
Bayloruniversity said:

We keep winning And it won't matter. Only thing that matters is winning and not the number in front of Baylor. UNTIL the decision for the playoff selection.
True. But the committee will make their first selections soon.
Thee University
Start off with 7. 7 as in 7 National Championships. Or maybe it is their 7 Heisman Trophy winners.

Think about the number 48. 48 conference titles.

47 straight wins without a loss for a D1 record.

I could go on and on and on. This piggybacks my insistence that Baylor missed the boat for YEARS when our brain trust scheduled the likes of Samford, NW State, Texas State, Sam Houston, Buffalo, Stephen F, La Monroe, Liberty, UTSA, Abilene Christian and Incarnate Word.

Baylor has always had to do more to achieve any respect. .509 lifetime programs with small alumni bases and small TV audiences will ALWAYS play catch up and lack respect. Losing in spectacular fashion in 3 Cotton Bowls and a Fiesta Bowl while favored in most of them did not help either.

This does not mean I have given up on Baylor winning a national championship. We just need to face reality and schedule to impress. Beating blue bloods (which Art could have done for a few years) is the fastest way to turn around a forlorn program looking for respect.
"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains And we never even know we have the key"
BUbackerinET
Simple math:

OU: blueblood
BU: not a blueblood

Just that simple - we will get no unearned respect...
BUbackerinET
That could be, except we beat ranked KSU by a wider margin than they did, it's just stupid poll bullsh*t, and is truly unimportant except for the public debate about them. We have to just taking care of our business...
Buck Masters
Thee University said:

We just need to face reality and schedule to impress. Beating blue bloods (which Art could have done for a few years) is the fastest way to turn around a forlorn program looking for respect.
This.
So damn tired of Baylor playing no one in non-con. Hell schedule Oregon State ... or Maryland ... or aTm ... or any of those power 5 scrubs.

Still can't believe that we went 0-2 vs. Duke. Didn't see that coming when we scheduled them.
I'm intercontinental when I eat french toast.
BUbackerinET
Yes - any of those EXCEPT eaTme - NEVER AGAIN - EVER!
syme
boognish_bear said:

Thee University said:

Are you serious?

Give me your reasons

He's insecure and feels his already nonexistent legacy threatened again. Not surprised at all to see him now downplaying the current team and staff just like he did the previous.
Thee University
syme said:

boognish_bear said:

Thee University said:

Are you serious?

Give me your reasons

He's insecure and feels his already nonexistent legacy threatened again. Not surprised at all to see him now downplaying the current team and staff just like he did the previous.
My teams are in the record books. Still after 40 years. Secure with that FACT and continue to let the results speak for us.

This is not about me. Legacy? Hardly. Legend? Already accomplished per Baylor. Next!

I did NOT downplay the current team and if your reading comprehension was on par with other Baylor grads you would have caught it. MCC? Paul Quinn or TSTI?
historian
Buck Masters said:

Thee University said:

We just need to face reality and schedule to impress. Beating blue bloods (which Art could have done for a few years) is the fastest way to turn around a forlorn program looking for respect.
This.
So damn tired of Baylor playing no one in non-con. Hell schedule Oregon State ... or Maryland ... or aTm ... or any of those power 5 scrubs.

Still can't believe that we went 0-2 vs. Duke. Didn't see that coming when we scheduled them.
Have you looked at our schedule for the next decade?

Next year we open against Ole Miss. Over the next few years, we have home & home games against BYU, Utah, Oregon, & Auburn. All Power 5. Plus we've had hints in recent weeks that another SEC deal has been signed & will be announced in coming weeks. It's also now a Big 12 rule: every team must play a P5 non conference game each year. This year was an exception because we had an open slot with little time to fill it.

We will be playing a tougher schedule than Alabama, Texas A&M, & most other SEC teams since they will still have 3 creampuffs--and play one of them in November. This Saturday, the Aggies play UTSA. We played them in September in 100 weather. Yes, they probably had the toughest schedule in the country with 4 top 10 opponents (top 5 earlier in the season)--& most of those on the road. The point is, however, that their non-conference schedule is weaker--as it is every year.
boognish_bear
Thee University said:

Start off with 7. 7 as in 7 National Championships. Or maybe it is their 7 Heisman Trophy winners.

Think about the number 48. 48 conference titles.

47 straight wins without a loss for a D1 record.

I could go on and on and on. This piggybacks my insistence that Baylor missed the boat for YEARS when our brain trust scheduled the likes of Samford, NW State, Texas State, Sam Houston, Buffalo, Stephen F, La Monroe, Liberty, UTSA, Abilene Christian and Incarnate Word.

Baylor has always had to do more to achieve any respect. .509 lifetime programs with small alumni bases and small TV audiences will ALWAYS play catch up and lack respect. Losing in spectacular fashion in 3 Cotton Bowls and a Fiesta Bowl while favored in most of them did not help either.

This does not mean I have given up on Baylor winning a national championship. We just need to face reality and schedule to impress. Beating blue bloods (which Art could have done for a few years) is the fastest way to turn around a forlorn program looking for respect.

I agree that our cupcake non-con of the last several years has been a joke. I get that OU is one of the biggest blue bloods out there.

My point was just that if you put the two resumes side by side it would only make sense that Baylor would be in front. If you labeled our resume "Team A" and their resume "Team B" and asked people to cast votes the "Team A" resume would come out on top.

As it stands now their Strength of Schedule is ranked 38th and ours is 52nd. That's not a sizable enough difference to overcome their one loss compared to our no losses.
Grizz Air
BUbackerinET said:

Simple math:

OU: blueblood
BU: not a blueblood

Just that simple - we will get no unearned respect...

I dunno. Seems we are pretty far ahead of whorns and we haven't beaten them yet.
2022 Adopt-a-Bear: Mark Milton #3 CB
Timbear
Look, K ST lucks out and catches Okla on a bad day, and everybody's going crazy because we beat K ST. Now thinking we're going to go undefeated when only a handful of teams have gone undefeated in history.The odds of us beating Okla once, much less twice, is slim to none.
historian
Timbear said:

Look, K ST lucks out and catches Okla on a bad day, and everybody's going crazy because we beat K ST. Now thinking we're going to go undefeated when only a handful of teams have gone undefeated in history.The odds of us beating Okla once, much less twice, is slim to none.
True. But it's still possible. Right now everyone is excited because the team is doing so well and we have momentum. We can fantasize, speculate, and dream but reality will kick in. No doubt the coaches are more grounded. We fans have the luxury of dreaming, they don't.
Jacques Strap
historian said:

Timbear said:

True. But it's still possible. Right now everyone is excited because the team is doing so well and we have momentum. We can fantasize, speculate, and dream but reality will kick in. No doubt the coaches are more grounded. We fans have the luxury of dreaming, they don't.
Yep. Enjoy the ride and dream big while you still can.
BUmoneymaker
Buck Masters said:

Duke didnt beat us. Those loses didnt count.

Actually what I mean is they wouldnt beat us if we were not broken at the time and in serious triage mode. They DEF wouldnt beat us right now.

"I hope" -Red

"Apply yourself" -W.White

"Guys, who is Keyser Soze?" - K. Soze

"Tea. Earl Grey. Hot." -J.L. Picard
BUmoneymaker
Why not accept that teams get the benefit of the doubt when:

1. They have red colors in their jerseys
2. They are subsidized
3. The have large enrollments
4. The may have won som conference championships since the conference was formed.
5. They are the only school from the conference to have appeared in any playoffs
6. They are the only school that has beaten one of the current top teams (bama) in the past decade or so
7. They only tip their wagon over once every 3 decades
8. Theyve have a number under 10 next to their name for a while
9. They are consistently better than the other big state schools to the south of them.

If and when we beat them with consistency then it will all be right as rain.

"I hope" -Red

"Apply yourself" -W.White

"Guys, who is Keyser Soze?" - K. Soze

"Tea. Earl Grey. Hot." -J.L. Picard
Johnny Bear
I agree there is a blue blood vs. non-blue blood bias/double standard and there always will be. With this in mind, it's pretty obvious that most likely the only way a Baylor makes it into the CFP is if we go undefeated, regardless of our non-con schedule - unless we literally play somebody of the level of 'bama, Clemson, LSU, or Ohio State and lose by single digits for our only loss. And that's obviously a huge risk. With this in mind, the other side of the coin is why deliberately make going undefeated even more of a mountain to climb by scheduling an "impressive" non-con slate?

As far as this year's team goes, yes, we played 3 weaklings for our non-con opponents, but thus far we're undefeated. Undefeated is undefeated, and personally, I'd rather be undefeated any day of the week, regardless of the non-con schedule, as opposed to being 5-2 or 6-1 and having "quality losses".
Sailor Bear
As Art said when Gary Patterson was trying to make his case for the playoff by comparing TCU's results in Morgantown vs. our's, "What county is this? I think this is America and if I wanted to find out who was better than who, I'd put 'em in a ring and let 'em fight."
Thee University
It has never helped us that UT and OU have fielded some pitiful teams over the past 10 years. We need them to be strong or very competitive even if they are falling blue bloods. The Big 12 has been down some over the past several years and has a reputation still today of fielding all O and no D or ST teams. That hurts us nationally.

We need to be focused on one thing and one thing only.............beating WVU without looking forward to any other foe.
historian
Thee University said:

We need to be focused on one thing and one thing only.............beating WVU without looking forward to any other foe.
Exactly.
Thee University
Thee University said:

It has never helped us that UT and OU have fielded some pitiful teams over the past 10 years. We need them to be strong or very competitive even if they are falling blue bloods. The Big 12 has been down some over the past several years and has a reputation still today of fielding all O and no D or ST teams. That hurts us nationally.

By the way, the Baylor defense has been playing great. They bring it every single play. Our Special Teams have been extremely good. Our O needs no pat on the back.

We are hitting on all 3 cylinders right now!
boognish_bear
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.