Football
Sponsored by

If Herman is gone, does it help Baylor?

2,627 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Squatch Hunter
TXBEAR_bf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was thinking about recruiting.
Article by Dodd, I am sure there will be more to develop here. I think he gets one more year, Covid is going to create too many financial challenges. No doubt his coaching lost that game for them.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/texas-has-a-decision-to-make-as-the-tom-herman-experiment-again-falls-short-in-a-critical-game/
Jorkel
Only thing that will cure Baylor's ailments is winning. Winning cures all.
BellCountyBear
UT, like the federal gov't, shows that more money does not solve all problems.
Golden Helmet
Always take your points....
RR/BV
When you win be afraid be very afraid, Texas will tear your program down...............
Johnny Bear
RR/BV said:

When you win be afraid be very afraid, Texas will tear your program down...............
They'll put up with an occasional one off type season, but if you start doing it consistently (like CAB or like SMU in the 80's) look out.
Bear8084
Still waiting for TCU's program to be torn down...
Johnny Bear
Bear8084 said:

Still waiting for TCU's program to be torn down...
They've been up and down just enough overall to avoid that fate (although it's true that Patterson has had UT's number for a lot of years).
PartyBear
With the right hire Texas would be Bama of the last 10 years but on steroids. I don't know why y'all think it is good when Texas fires a HC. They are eventually going to make the hire that puts their wealth to good use. If they were to hire Urban Meyer, I think he would be their Saban. That all said they similar to Michigan (another blue blood that doesn't do much in modern times) and Cal in terms of top public schools and academics are their big deal. But I think there are enough Univ of Texas folks who also want Bama like results in football still.
RegentCoverup
Same old' Longhorns.
This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
Doc Holliday
BellCountyBear said:

Haha so true. It actually makes it worse IMO. Texas has too many hands in the cookie jar and their problems are systemic.
BU82EX
We want Herman around as long as possible. Just like the post-VY days under Mack Brown and Charlie Strong after him, I like an underperforming coaching staff to stay in place as long as possible. I also am amused by the Urban Meyer talk. UT thought they could hire Nick Saban a few years ago too and ended up with Herman. If Meyer has his choice of struggling programs, I'm betting on USC before UT. Expectations are high over there, but not unrealistic. At UT they are unrealistic due to an arrogance that comes from a bad case of elite entitle-ism.
PartyBear
Urban Meyer is not currently a HC anywhere let alone at another blue blood. That is the difference between Meyer talk and Saban talk.
BU82EX
PartyBear said:

Urban Meyer is not currently a HC anywhere let alone at another blue blood. That is the difference between Meyer talk and Saban talk.
You think that matters to an Orangeblood? There were rumors all over Austin that Saban was coming to Texas. In their mind, Alabama is as a stepping stone to ut.
RegentCoverup
BU82EX said:

PartyBear said:

You think that matters to an Orangeblood? There were rumors all over Austin that Saban was coming to Texas. In their mind, Alabama is as a stepping stone to ut.
Just because they needed to run an explanation story in Texas Monthly to explain how UT leaders were duped into thinking Saban was remotely interested does NOT...

oh wait, you're right. They're dumb enough to think Bear Bryant wanted to to coach at UT.

We should be guessing what the title of the Texas Monthly Tom Herman explanation story will be.

Probably something along the lines of how he completely misled the brilliant search committee and plunged into the dark side to hold back the amazing university on the 40 furlongs.
DanaDane
Only Baylor can help Baylor, and that starts with hiring the right coaching staff for our guys.
BaylorRocks
Don't be surprised if Art Briles' name comes up in conversations for the open Texas job.
Aliceinbubbleland
BellCountyBear said:

aggy would argue it does
Aliceinbubbleland
Those days at UT are long gone, zunooreo. The SJW's are in charge and they see themselves as Rice or Stanford. The only thing holding the glue together in Austin is the non grads who are just fans of football that probably hold a huge portion of the ticket sales but are powerless.

DKR overrode the SJW's and demanded they hire Brown. There is no one left with the power that the BMD's once held.
RegentCoverup
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Those days at UT are long gone, zunooreo. The SJW's are in charge and they see themselves as Rice or Stanford.
It's crazy but that's totally true. It's at best a better than average state school, but for the most part it's Underachiever State.
BUGWBBear
zunooreo said:

Don't be surprised if Art Briles' name comes up in conversations for the open Texas job.

That happens, watch the team file title IX reports on each other. Remember, they're already offended by "The Eyes of Texas".

In reality, Mt Vernon has playoffs going on to worry about it now.
BellCountyBear
Aliceinbubbleland said:

BellCountyBear said:

aggy would argue it does
a&m still has a big problem that money hasn't solved yet. It's call Alabama.
Aberzombie1892
TXBEAR_bf said:

I was thinking about recruiting.
Article by Dodd, I am sure there will be more to develop here. I think he gets one more year, Covid is going to create too many financial challenges. No doubt his coaching lost that game for them.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/texas-has-a-decision-to-make-as-the-tom-herman-experiment-again-falls-short-in-a-critical-game/

It's hurts because it increases the chances that Texas finally gets a coach that can coach at the same level at that talent, and, if/when that occurs, only OU and UT will make the Big 12 title game unless another Big 12 team is playing at a once in a generation level. 2017 TCU, 2019 Baylor and 2020 ISU wouldn't be good enough to make the title game over OU or UT if they were both being coached at an elite level.
Squatch Hunter
UT's problems are not the coaches, it is the combination of the culture of entitlement in athletics, the elitist aura surrounding the university, and the load of $$$ the Big Horn donors use to push buttons across the state and UT system. It has corrupted football and MBB. It will take a lot more than changing coaches for the 4th time since VY to fix it.
Yogi
That 7 million dollar home goes on the market, which is good if you're an Austin Bear looking for a new den.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Aliceinbubbleland
BellCountyBear said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

BellCountyBear said:

aggy would argue it does
True. They exchanged l'll bro 1 for another l"ll bro.
TXBEAR_bf
I agree with this sentiment, I was thinking short term with the commits that were maybe between Baylor and UT that liked Herman or the position coaches. The flip side side is if UT tries at some big names and swings and misses than maybe it helps longer term. I am assuming that they would not fire Herman if they did not have something better waiting in the wings.
Squatch Hunter
Aliceinbubbleland said:

BellCountyBear said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

BellCountyBear said:

aggy would argue it does
True. They exchanged l'll bro 1 for another l"ll bro.
and they are 2-8 against LSU
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.