Football
Sponsored by

What is your favorite college football team of all time that wasn't the school that y

3,181 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Thee University
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My son was an extra in the movie about DB Freddie Steinmark, "My All-American", which was set around that 1969 season.

The movie did not do well but anyone who played football would tear up a few times during the movie. I know I did.

I went out for one day of filming and it was surreal in that I would see a kid wearing #30 (Wooster) or #35 (Bertelson) or #16 (Street) and I wanted to call the kids by the player they were playing. My son played #89. David Arledge who was a 5'11" & 177 lb DE who started for the Longhorns that season. My son was 6'3" & 215 and so it was with most all of the players dwarfing the originals.

Steinmark was 5'10" and a whopping 166 lbs!
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
REvansBU71
It will always be the Razorbacks, as I was an Arkansan from birth.

I loved especially the 50's, 60's, 70's teams, with Jim Mooty, Billy Kyser, Lance Alworth, etc.

I had an Alworth tear-away but have no idea what happened to it.
Any Trump

“And if you do-oo.....” - Lt. Hauk
alanmarmstrong
1999 Florida St, my parents didn't go to a major college, so as a kid, I was a free agent college fan and FSU was my team...actually wanted to go to college there before choosing Baylor going into my senior year of HS

Aliceinbubbleland
Bambi! What a great athlete at the time. No team had such passionate followers statewide as Arkansas. I wonder if that has really declined with their failure to be a continual competitor in the SEC like they were in the SWC?
Bruin92
Don't have a second favorite team...but I do have a favorite play....

6-2 Stack Monster.

Almost took Ampipe to a district title. If Nickerson would have had Rifelman fall on the ball it would have.
Johnny Bear
I'm old enough to have been a kid back when a kid growing up in Texas was virtually indoctrinated to be a UT fan unless you happened to have parents who were strong alums of another school, so I would have to say the 1963 Longhorns team that was Darrell Royal's first national champion with players like Tommy Nobis and Duke Carlisle. Recall watching them beat up on Roger Staubach (Heisman winner that year) and Number 2 Navy in the Cotton Bowl with my Dad.
Pecos 45
Mine would be the 1969 Alabama Crimson Tide strictly on their last-minute win over Archie Manning and Ole Miss, 33-32.
George Ranager made a catch, then a twisting lunge into the end-zone for the game winner.
Great win over the Rebels, who I still regard as narcissistic and a legend in their own minds.

(I grew up in south Mississippi so I can say that.)
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
RightRevBear
Thee University said:

RightRevBear said:

The 2019 Wichita State Shockers. They were an awesome team that was so well coached.
Had to be that 1986 team since that was the last year they played footbalIt
It is a pop culture reference to the show Ted Lasso on Apple TV. He supposedly led the Wichita State Shockers to a DII championship (even though in real life they are DI). I didn't think I was going to like the show, but it was surprisingly good.
RightRevBear
Pecos 45 said:

Mine would be the 1969 Alabama Crimson Tide strictly on their last-minute win over Archie Manning and Ole Miss, 33-32.
George Ranager made a catch, then a twisting lunge into the end-zone for the game winner.
Great win over the Rebels, who I still regard as narcissistic and a legend in their own minds.

(I grew up in south Mississippi so I can say that.)
I also grew up in Mississippi, and I support this message.
Pecos 45
Then we both had the sense to get out as soon as we graduated high school !!!!
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
CNC
1995 Nebraska

In particular, Tommie Frazier

The National Championship game (Fiesta Bowl) vs #2 Florida, which turned into a blowout.

Nebraska won 62-24
Both teams loaded with future NFL talent
Nebraska had 524 rushing yards, Florida had negative 28.
Frazier didn't have a great day passing, but ran for 199 yds and 2 TDs

Mr Tulip
Nebraska took full advantage of the NCAA academic rules of the time (and of the Big 8), and I won't vouch for some of the players' personal conduct.

But watching the Big Red Machine smash into the other team was amazing. They took high school level football and played it with such talented athletes (a lot of modern day sports science training concepts were invented at UNL once someone realized that bench presses didn't really come up in a football game) that they left the rest of the world begging for answers.

I believe they're responsible for the high powered offenses of today. My thinking is thus. In order to win what became the Big 12, you had to stop the Huskers. You needed huge DL and lots of hulking LB to clog running lanes. Everyone loaded up big defenses to play Nebraska. OU saw this and sent a ton of squirty WR on the field. Nobody had equally speedy athletes to match them, so they sprinted downfield and ran the score up. Between the Sooners and the Huskers, the Big 12 needed a 200 man roster to stock the defense.
Aliceinbubbleland
UT beat Nebraska by requiring them to go to class. Funny how they have never been able to achieve that with OU.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
U of Houstons last Jack Pardee team and the first John Jenkins team. I was coaching in the area and as a staff we spent time with J Pardee and J Jenkins during the off season and pre season. Andre Ware had graduated against a team in our district and I got to know him a little. Jenkins did a lot innovative things with his O line and he loved to talk about it. The head coach I worked for had gotten pretty close to Pardee while he was with the old Houston Gamblers so we naturally followed him to the Cougars.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.