Football
Sponsored by

Could We Survive As Independent?

2,428 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Ghostrider
Aliceinbubbleland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Basketball is easy. They practically are independent. We won't receive much money if we are out of P5 and recruiting will now be even harder against equal weights like TCU, SMU, Rice and UH. Hell even San Marcus may be an equal.

I am just throwing this out but I would rather be Indy and play a major schedule against SEC dream teams that will want an off week. Imagine a schedule of LSU, Arkie, Ole Miss, MSU and maybe a Florida or Auburn thrown in with our usual Liberty's, Sul Ross etc.

When UH first began playing football they only scheduled SEC teams or Oklahoma teams. They were getting their heads handed back to them on a platter until they got a real coach named Yeoman and the tables turned.

Instead of losing to Ole Miss 44-3 they started whipping Ole Miss 65-0 until the SEC quit calling. If Aranda can recruit and perform as expected we shouldn't be afraid to play anyone.
CTbruin
No

TV money drives the train. Surviving without TV contracts would be extremely difficult.
Canada2017
Basketball national championship = potential access to the ACC.

Anything less means joining the Mountain West Conference.

( which isn't the end of the world )
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
lol, wonder where you got this idea.

As I mentioned in another thread, BU would need to up its religious school branding, especially if they got serious going solo. And I think initially it'd need to partner with BYU and other schools to create the fanbase needed to make it profitable. It'd be cool seeing the Baptists/protestants playing the mormons and catholics every year.

Without the religious branding, we'd need a guy like Briles (not Briles) that creates a brand of its own - wide receiver U / fast offense, etc. Though possible, I think this scenario is less do-able than what I mentioned above.

Finally, to be competitive long term, we'll need the NIL cash for players, and keeping up is going to be tough without a brand that people will buy so to speak.
Aliceinbubbleland
I understand. I was just thinking maybe a nice schedule of marquee games might work with a network that would come close to paying the pittance probably to be paid to the "little guys" after the SEC SEC SEC.

I'd trade money for great games at 7pm and fun schedules if we can't be P5 rather than suffer through a bunch of non interesting competition in some junior conference.

BBWCBear
How is being independent working out for Notre Dame now? Their history is the only thing holding them up. Yes, sure, they've been in the Four Team National Championship playoff, but really, did they belong? They got crushed each time regardless.

BU would be a whipping post OOC opponent for any and all IF anyone would schedule us.
Aliceinbubbleland
If we're going to be a whipping post we might as well play someone interesting rather than our current non con crap.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
BBWCBear said:

How is being independent working out for Notre Dame now? Their history is the only thing holding them up. Yes, sure, they've been in the Four Team National Championship playoff, but really, did they belong? They got crushed each time regardless.

BU would be a whipping post OOC opponent for any and all IF anyone would schedule us.
Yep being independent is only worthwhile if you're already relegated to the sidelines. With realignment and NIL, If you're not in P5 conference (P4/P2 or whatever it ends up being) then you have to start looking at alternatives like G5 vs independence vs creating a new conference, etc. Last, I'm not convinced that even being in a G5 will be worth much in a decade. I predict TV contract revenues decreasing (relatively) for those schools.
BUBBFAN
No!

pitchspork
If Notre Dame can barely make being an independent work, I don't see how anyone can think we'd possibly manage.
chorne68
No
coldhardtruth
pitchspork said:

If Notre Dame can barely make being an independent work, I don't see how anyone can think we'd possibly manage.

Notre Dame really isn't an independent in football anymore because of their deal with the ACC.

We mind as well drop football as a sport as a university if we go the independent route.
You best remember me my friend
I am the cold hard truth
-George Jones
Aberzombie1892
coldhardtruth said:

pitchspork said:

Notre Dame really isn't an independent in football anymore because of their deal with the ACC.

We mind as well drop football as a sport as a university if we go the independent route.

This. Baylor will not survive as an independent division 1A (or it's successor) member in football.
BUGWBBear
pitchspork said:

I thought ND had a 400 year network contract with NBC

But seriously, no. We'd be McMurray in 4 years.
EvilTroyAndAbed
BBWCBear said:

At least they were there.
Edmond Bear
Aliceinbubbleland said:

If we're going to be a whipping post we might as well play someone interesting rather than our current non con crap.

I think you're alone on this one.

I'd rather beat the Techs and TCUs than consistently lose to Alabama. I have no idea what you're thinking.

PartyBear
ND is only somewhat independent. They are more or less in the ACC. They are enough in they wear the conf logo on their unis etc.
Aliceinbubbleland
Edmond Bear said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

I think you're alone on this one.

I'd rather beat the Techs and TCUs than consistently lose to Alabama. I have no idea what you're thinking.

Probably. It won't be the first or the last time either.

It appears OSU and Tech are trying to joint sell, KSU has been amazingly silent. Majority of fans seem to believe KU is headed to BiG for what that rumor is worth. I'd think ISU brings more to the table then KU.

The unflattering articles previously posted about us and the Pac 12 just do more to damage our reputation.

BYU has been forced to operate as an Indy and we might be too. I'll take it.
Ghostrider
So go from making 35mm as a conference member to making about 1500$ in revenue?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.