New Riverfront/Arena Development

3,511 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Edmond Bear
baylorguy09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm looking at the plan for the new basketball arena, phase 1 looks to include the arena, hotel, and restaurant pad sites on the river.

Those River restaurant sites will be pricy, but curious as to what people would love to see down there?

I think George's on the River could be a cool site and opens up gameday tailgating options!

I want to see some new places come in though. Any thoughts or opinions?
CorsicanaBear
Hell no to Georges. Something nice with decent food and a decent selection of libations. A true higher end Mexican establishment on the order of El Tiempo would be great. Any Pappas concept. They are probably going after a national concept of some type, don't know if they will get it.
PTGHUNTER

I have been underwhelmed every time I have been to El Tiempo. I know people love it, so I keep going back to figure out what I am missing.

Bexar Pitts
PTGHUNTER said:

I have been underwhelmed every time I have been to El Tiempo. I know people love it, so I keep going back to figure out what I am missing.

Sounds a little like one of my favorite "Yogiisms"..."Nobody goes there anymore because it's too crowded." :-)
CorsicanaBear
Hula Hut.
PartyBear
CorsicanaBear said:

Hula Hut.

Agree!! I have thought they should have been on the river here for quite some time.
BaylorHistory
PTGHUNTER said:

Yeah, it's a sad place because everyone there is wishing they were at one of Hugo Ortega's places.
FirmBear24
Instead of Pappas, we will get Bubba Gump Shrimp.
BaylorGuy314
FirmBear24 said:

Instead of Pappas, we will get Bubba Gump Shrimp.

BUwolverine2012
PTGHUNTER said:

filet fajitas
Be present in all things and thankful for all things.
CammoTX
BUwolverine2012 said:

PTGHUNTER said:

filet fajitas

Las Vegas Filet lunch. Best deal there.
T-REX
CorsicanaBear said:

Hell no to Georges. Something nice with decent food and a decent selection of libations. A true higher end Mexican establishment on the order of El Tiempo would be great. Any Pappas concept. They are probably going after a national concept of some type, don't know if they will get it.
Agreed. I've eaten at George's less than 10 times in my life and I spent my first 18 years in Waco. It's fine for what it is but it isn't anything special. I fully recognize the hype comes from older folks who went there as a student for super cheap big beers. That's not a thing anymore. It isn't any cheaper than anywhere else and the big o isn't unique anymore. Not worth the wait at all when crowded either. It is by far the 2nd most overrated restaurant in Waco. 2nd only to ninfas

Also unless George's moved their entire operation to a river front spot, it doesn't make sense in my mind. The current spot is only a couple min drive away. They would be competing with themself
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
Brian Ethridge
Staff
CammoTX said:

BUwolverine2012 said:

PTGHUNTER said:

filet fajitas

Las Vegas Filet lunch. Best deal there.
Wood fired carne asada
cowboycwr
T-REX said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Agreed. I've eaten at George's less than 10 times in my life and I spent my first 18 years in Waco. It's fine for what it is but it isn't anything special. I fully recognize the hype comes from older folks who went there as a student for super cheap big beers. That's not a thing anymore. It isn't any cheaper than anywhere else and the big o isn't unique anymore. Not worth the wait at all when crowded either. It is by far the 2nd most overrated restaurant in Waco. 2nd only to ninfas

Also unless George's moved their entire operation to a river front spot, it doesn't make sense in my mind. The current spot is only a couple min drive away. They would be competing with themself
Their second location doesn't seem to hurt the original too much. But a riverfront location would be much closer.

And I agree.... it is a good restaurant but not great.

I would prefer to see some bigger name chains there (the good ones).
T-REX
cowboycwr said:

T-REX said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Their second location doesn't seem to hurt the original too much. But a riverfront location would be much closer.

2nd location is all the way over in the Hewitt/woodway area correct? That's pretty far removed from the original and serving a different geographic client base which is why it doesn't have issues
Baylor MBA 2023
No Longer Gold
cowboycwr said:

T-REX said:

CorsicanaBear said:

I've heard of people like you, just never knew they really existed.

Why would you want to fill a unique dining destination with very bland, corporate, repeats that are everywhere.

I'm guessing you live in Plano.
cowboycwr
Swart Dra said:

cowboycwr said:

T-REX said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Why would you want to fill a unique dining destination with very bland, corporate, repeats that are everywhere.

So you want a no name restaurant there? You don't like a single chain?

So yeah I would like to fill a unique dining location with something that will last. There are lots of options that could go there that are not "bland corporate repeats" as you say.

And clearly you are in the minority as the corporate repeats make lots of money, open lots of locations and do well.
PartyBear
I dont know what is meant by bigger name chains. Things are changing of course but Waco does not have the demographic for the chains you see in major metropolitan areas or on Disney or Universal properties. But again I'm not sure what is meant by big name chains.
CTbruin
.....and many of us stay away from "big chains". Why? No local ownership. Just employees.

Give me locally owned, independent places any day.

I'll take 135 Prime, de Camplis and Georges any day.
BaylorHistory
CTbruin said:

.....and many of us stay away from "big chains". Why? No local ownership. Just employees.

Well these two also create food that is easily better than the "fancy" national chains.
trey3216
CTbruin said:

Says someone who was practically brought to tears when Johnny Carino's went out of business...
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
T-REX
Swart Dra said:

cowboycwr said:

T-REX said:

CorsicanaBear said:

because they allow babies to dine in
Baylor MBA 2023
Wicked_Wombat
How about a Pappadeaux's?
CTbruin
trey3216 said:

CTbruin said:

Says someone who was practically brought to tears when Johnny Carino's went out of business...

Yep

Went there most Monday nights with my late wife and two other couples in the bar. Drank wine and feasted on Italian nachos.

And then one week the door was locked. Ran into the manager a while later. He was surprised too. So much for locals and local management.

Oh yeah. Art Briles was there on some Mondays.

The food was just okay. But we loved Monday in the bar with friends.
trey3216
CTbruin said:

trey3216 said:

CTbruin said:

Yep

Went there most Monday nights with my late wife and two other couples in the bar. Drank wine and feasted on Italian nachos.

And then one week the door was locked. Ran into the manager a while later. He was surprised too. So much for locals and local management.

I know brother. I have to rib you about it sometimes. All in fun
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
PartyBear
CTbruin said:

trey3216 said:

CTbruin said:

Yep

That sounds nice CT. I am sorry for your loss. Chuy's serves that purpose for me and my wife. (Well the pandemic has curtailed that substantially still for now). But that is our place for that type of thing.

I actually liked the food at Carinos though.
Edmond Bear

I'm guessing that because the riverfront will be a 'tourist' area and because of Catalyst's relationships, it will be a regional chain with a name that tourists recognize.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.