Project Ocean Wave sounds interesting.

7,923 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Wrecks Quan Dough
monsterbear61
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm guessing this is SpaceX. They already have their rocket test facility in McGregor, and now Musk wants to build about 900 Raptor engines per year.

Raptor production goals

Given that the Starship Factory is already being built at Boca Chica, TX, and that Musk is relocating his corporate HQ to Texas, this move for a nearby manufacturing facility makes a lot of sense. It would be great if it ends up as part of the TSTC airport complex. Roads and infrastructure right-of-ways are already in-place via the old General Tire plant location.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Meta 800 million in Temple
Eleven-League Grant
I don't know whether Texas in general, or Central Texas specifically, is still in the running for the $4 billion operation, as I've heard nothing about it lately.

But, Kansas has thrown a billion dollars at these guys to have them locate in Kansas, and now the Okies are offering $700 million to have it built in Oklahoma.

Oklahoma $700 million incentive package

With that kind of money being thrown around, I'm not sure Guess, Helberg and the Silos will be enough to get them to Waco. I guess the boys in Austin would have to pony up some big bucks if they really want Texas to have this.
PartyBear
I'm sure there are financial incentives being thrown at them by local government in Waco at least. I understand there are many factors involved but I cant see the competition from a location and population stand point from Kansas and Oklahoma up against the 35 corridor in Texas. That all said I dont know for sure who the other competitors are the initial Trib story indicated the mystery company was looking at locations in Texas and a couple other states or regions of the country. I dont know for sure if the Kansas and Oklahoma situations are regarding the same thing. I also have no idea if McLennan County is even still a candidate.
Eleven-League Grant
And the winner is ... Kansas.
Quote:

OSAKA -- Panasonic Holdings will invest $4 billion in a second U.S. electric vehicle battery factory in Kansas, its subsidiary Panasonic Energy announced on Thursday, confirming an earlier Nikkei report. The factory is expected to hire as many as 4,000 employees and supply a new high-capacity battery for Tesla.

The Japanese company picked the site of the new facility based on factors including its proximity to Texas and favorable tax treatment. Oklahoma had also been considered as a candidate location.
Panasonic Chooses Kansas

Since they chose Kansas over Oklahoma (and possibly Texas?), it would seem that 'proximity to Texas' wasn't nearly as important as receiving tax incentives.

These large companies do a nice job playing political leaders like fiddles, it seems.
PartyBear
It would have seemed that McLennan County--about 90 miles from the Tesla plant--would have been the best location. Kansas must have really given them huge tax breaks. I'm guessing the land was substantially cheaper.
Eleven-League Grant
If at first you don't succeed ...
Quote:

Tesla supplier Panasonic is looking to build another battery cell factory in the USA. After the Japanese company confirmed a plant in Kansas in July, media reports suggest Panasonic is looking at a similar facility in Oklahoma.
Panasonic to build second $4 billion battery plant

As Oklahoma has already offered to throw money at them (but not as much as Kansas did), they probably have the inside track.

But, perhaps our COC and local leaders will have another bite at the apple. We certainly are closer to Austin (Tesla) than the Oklahoma boys are.
BearCPA
I've heard rumblings of a battery plant coming to Temple
Wrecks Quan Dough
A wafer manufacturing facility would be a good idea.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.