Large New Proposed Downtown Restaurant/Retail Project

3,793 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bear Doc
Boernebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
1001 Webster is a couple blocks from Magnolia and just over a block down 11th from Balcones and Milo. Proposed conversion of the existing warehouse to a mix of restaurants, retail, bar, market and multiple outdoor spaces.

I'm excited about this one and hope it can come together along with the redevelopment of the Geyser ice property next door - I know that project has stalled for some time but hopefully this will get that moving as well.

Check out the renderings and floorplan here: https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/6mri9HdAd59Swb1yL8Rr0p9h8ZoB988T7M2lZlphPFw/WSM%20%20FLYER.pdf

Love all the activity downtown!
Boernebear
The Waco Trib ran an article on this project last month, although the linked plans above show more detail than the article included.

Trib article: https://wacotrib.com/business/local/restaurants-retail-space-planned-for-former-diversified-product-building-in-downtown-waco/article_badfee84-a626-11ec-a6eb-d7d6dada31e6.html
Redbrickbear
I have not lived in Waco for more than a decade.

Its wild how much it is changing.
Boernebear
Redbrickbear said:

I tell people all the time that they wouldn't believe it unless they go check it out.

Between what is under construction today and in the planning phase, there will likely be over $1 billion of new construction in downtown Waco over the next 5 years. That's unbelievable for a downtown where nothing happened for over 5 decades.
Redbrickbear
Boernebear said:

Redbrickbear said:

I tell people all the time that they wouldn't believe it unless they go check it out.

Between what is under construction today and in the planning phase, there will likely be over $1 billion of new construction in downtown Waco over the next 5 years. That's unbelievable for a downtown where nothing happened for over 5 decades.
What's strange is the number of aggys you run into on a regular basis who talk like Waco is Port Arthur.

I just don't know what water they are drinking.

T-REX
My concern is isn't that just another union hall? Obviously you get the uniqueness of each individual offering but I feel like having 2 very similar concepts that close to each other may not be that beneficial.

Also interesting about developing a pedestrian area. Bars in that area are a must then. People will want to be able to walk to the bar just like to Amy other place they could if that is implemented.

And while we are at it, can someone please invest on the other side of 35. Specifically speight and creat a real bar strip to augment scruffs?
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
Boernebear
It's very different (and much larger) than Union Hall. This isn't a true food hall. There are two large restaurants spaces (over 4k and 5k square feet each) and one has the ability to have a rooftop area as well. This project includes outdoor game areas, a large screen outside to play games and movies, retail concepts, etc. I think it could be more like a modern version of Spice Village with restaurants and a bar included.
T-REX
Boernebear said:

It's very different (and much larger than) Union Hall. This isn't a true food hall. There are two large restaurants spaces (over 4k and 5k square feet each) and one has the ability to have a rooftop area as well. This includes outdoor game areas, a large screen outside to play games and movies, retail concepts, etc. I think it could be more like a more modern version of Spice Village with restaurants and a bar included.
gotcha. I'm all for the continued development. Hopefully we hurry up and break ground on the new bball arena so investors can begin to build up around there too. Can't wait for there to be a sports bar called the Bears Den.
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
Boernebear
I'm with you on that! There's a lot more to come, especially near the basketball pavilion. I'm also pumped for more details about the performing arts venue, which will drive even more activity downtown. I have a few educated guesses on the likely location but will wait to see what gets announced.
CorsicanaBear
Not a fan of Union Hall. Parking is usually difficult. Don't like walk up casual so much, feels like the food court at the mall. If you want an burger (or a taco) and a beer you get your food from one vendor and the beer from a ridiculously priced bar. Its a place for touristas. Which is fine, that's a market that needs serving and that pays to be in.

I hope this new concept can be different. Parking downtown needs improvement. I'm not into street parking three blocks away.
baylrballa
CorsicanaBear said:

Not a fan of Union Hall. Parking is usually difficult. Don't like walk up casual so much, feels like the food court at the mall. If you want an burger (or a taco) and a beer you get your food from one vendor and the beer from a ridiculously priced bar. Its a place for touristas. Which is fine, that's a market that needs serving and that pays to be in.

I hope this new concept can be different. Parking downtown needs improvement. I'm not into street parking three blocks away.
we actually like union hall, but the parking is by far the most frustrating part.
Bear Doc
They got us all excited about a Union Hall going in out in Woodway many months ago (with legitimate parking) and it has been crickets ever since with no apparent work being done on the proposed building. Wonder if that died?
baylrballa
Bear Doc said:

They got us all excited about a Union Hall going in out in Woodway many months ago (with legitimate parking) and it has been crickets ever since with no apparent work being done on the proposed building. Wonder if that died?

Still think they would absolutely kill it at that location. Slowrise is absurdly packed everytime I am there.
PartyBear
Bear Doc said:

I was wondering about this as well.
cowboycwr
Redbrickbear said:

Have you been back for visits in the last decade?

If not there are places you would not recognize.

About 2 years ago I had some friends come visit that hadn't been back in 15 years. They did not recognize parts of town, they had not seen the stadium, the empty land where FCS was, the downtown growth, 35, etc.
1outawayBear
PartyBear said:

Bear Doc said:

need to put it in the outlook in Woodway. Badger ranch, Twin Rivers, Hidden Valley and Harris Creek neighborhoods would def support it alone IMO
PartyBear
1outawayBear said:

PartyBear said:

Bear Doc said:

need to put it in the outlook in Woodway. Badger ranch, Twin Rivers, Hidden Valley and Harris Creek neighborhoods would def support it alone IMO
Agree and that is where I originally thought it was going but those neighborhoods would support it at the location on 84 as well.
PTGHUNTER

Union Hall has two main problems, from my perspective as a consumer

1. The kitchens are not big enough or equipped to handle the volume of orders coming during peak meal times and you have to be patient because food output can be very slow.

2. There is not enough seating during peak times.

Both of these issues are great problems to have if you are the business because they are both related to lots of traffic in the building. They can be annoying when you are the customer.

Looks like Turner is involved in both Union Hall and the new project so obviously they think there is room for both.

Coyote Bear
1outawayBear said:

PartyBear said:

Bear Doc said:

Rent at the Outlook would be way too high for entrepreneurial startup kitchens. And not a great lunch spot either. The Outlook does have some good things coming, including a high end anchor restaurant. That project will be fine long term.
1outawayBear
Coyote Bear said:

1outawayBear said:

PartyBear said:

Bear Doc said:

Rent at the Outlook would be way too high for entrepreneurial startup kitchens. And not a great lunch spot either. The Outlook does have some good things coming, including a high end anchor restaurant. That project will be fine long term.

Lol my office is here so you are preaching to the choir
BCL79
T-REX said:

Boernebear said:

It's very different (and much larger than) Union Hall. This isn't a true food hall. There are two large restaurants spaces (over 4k and 5k square feet each) and one has the ability to have a rooftop area as well. This includes outdoor game areas, a large screen outside to play games and movies, retail concepts, etc. I think it could be more like a more modern version of Spice Village with restaurants and a bar included.
gotcha. I'm all for the continued development. Hopefully we hurry up and break ground on the new bball arena so investors can begin to build up around there too. Can't wait for there to be a sports bar called the Bears Den.

I spent many nights at the "Bears Den" on about 4th or 5th (?) St a couple blocks north of 35. Circa '77ish
thru "79 !
WacoKelly83
Me too. Its now the site of the post office downtown.
PartyBear
WacoKelly83 said:

Me too. Its now the site of the post office downtown.

I believe this was a dance club called Outer Limits by the mid 80s.
Mike E
baylrballa said:

CorsicanaBear said:

we actually like union hall, but the parking is by far the most frustrating part.

Yep I like union hall but never go specifically cause of the parking situation.
1outawayBear
Mike E said:

baylrballa said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Yep I like union hall but never go specifically cause of the parking situation.

I'll go but it's when I am ready for an early lunch 1115-1130 and know I can find parking otherwise I pass on it due to parking
UrsinusInfction
I go to Union Hall once or twice a month and have never had an issue street parking within a block or two or parking in the lot across the street behind the Hippodrome, FWIW.
Beardown1919
Yeah, it was packed the one time I went but found easy parking a block or two behind it.

Maybe it's just being used to that kind of thing living in Dallas. I was happy it was free and not $7+tip to valet lol.
Showtime
I like to walk to Union Hall for lunch to avoid the parking hassle. I pretty much avoid it any other time when I might have to drive due to parking.

My other major beef with going there is the drink situation. If you want water, you're buying a $3.00 bottle of water that I pretty much pound instantly. It would improve the experience there if there was an area that people could get fountain drinks and water refills.
Bear Doc
Showtime said:

I like to walk to Union Hall for lunch to avoid the parking hassle. I pretty much avoid it any other time when I might have to drive due to parking.

My other major beef with going there is the drink situation. If you want water, you're buying a $3.00 bottle of water that I pretty much pound instantly. It would improve the experience there if there was an area that people could get fountain drinks and water refills.
I bring my own yeti in with water every time I go for this very reason.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.