Need some pest control advice from folks in Waco area…

4 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bear Doc
Tiny Elvis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My folks live in the Hewitt area and were told they had carpenter ants. My parents are older and live on a fixed income.

One company wanted them to sign a $2700 contract for three years that cover termites and carpenter ants.

Not sure if that is a good deal or bad…don't think there have ever been any termite issues.

For reference, I just had a carpenter ants issue at my place in Dallas and paid $235 for a treatment that is guaranteed for 6 months. Of course, too early to tell if that will be an effective solution or not.

But, if anyone has any insights or recommendations for the Waco/Hewitt area, I'd appreciate it…

WacoKelly83
GGA took good care of me when i had a waterbug and mouse problem. Very reasonably too
redfish961
Danny Taylor

Taylor Made Pest Control
SIC EM 94
Tiny Elvis said:

My folks live in the Hewitt area and were told they had carpenter ants. My parents are older and live on a fixed income.

One company wanted them to sign a $2700 contract for three years that cover termites and carpenter ants.

Not sure if that is a good deal or bad…don't think there have ever been any termite issues.

For reference, I just had a carpenter ants issue at my place in Dallas and paid $235 for a treatment that is guaranteed for 6 months. Of course, too early to tell if that will be an effective solution or not.

But, if anyone has any insights or recommendations for the Waco/Hewitt area, I'd appreciate it…

Do NOT sign a $2,700 3 year contract…that is absurd! Call Happy Earth Pest Control and Cody (owner) will take care of all your problems…without a contract.
Tiny Elvis
Thanks for the suggestions…
LionBear
Any homemade carpenter ant control advice?

The neighbors house next door is being gutted / remodeled. This obviously upset some carpenter ant nest over there and they have been finding their way into our kitchen under doors and through window seals, etc. Not really foraging for food -- looks more like they are just looking for new nest sites.

I've probably killed over 200 this past week. Daily stream of 10-20 / day.

I have been using Windex w/ vinegar with damn good success. So far, it has not bleached the wood or paint on the inside of my windows/doors.

Other advice from my fellow bears?
Coke Bear
LionBear said:

Any homemade carpenter ant control advice?

Other advice from my fellow bears?
In years past, I've mixed the Bayer Carpenter Ant poison into a pump sprayer and treated my flower beds, window seals, and foundation.

I'm sure that you have also removed all tree/bush limbs from touching the house. I found them taking this path on one of my larger Crepes.

I now use Hawx Pest Control. They are based out of Austin but come to the Waco area a few times a week. I pay $99 a quarter (actually $33.34/month) and they treat both inside and outside of home. They sweep away all cobwebs and wasp nest on the outside of house and garage every three months. They also treat any fire ant mound that I have.

If I find bugs in the house, they will come back when I call.
Bear Doc
RE: Fire ants, we now treat our entire yard once a year with a product called Fipronil (brand name Bayer Top Choice) which you have to be licensed to apply (but most pest people can) and every since we have started doing that, we NEVER have fire ant mounds. Same stuff that golf courses use. Costs about 200-300 once a year. When we start to see mounds on the perimeter of our yard, we know it is time to re-apply,
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.