When's waco getting a papas?

2,680 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jbbear
Fre3dombear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That was quite a dust up many years ago
SteamedHams
Fre3dombear said:

That was quite a dust up many years ago
Best I can do:

https://www.facebook.com/Papa-Bears-Restaurant-and-Catering-105766414785008/

https://www.facebook.com/Mama-Papa-Bs-BBq-493426857740210/
No Longer Gold
Never been to a papas restaurant of any kind remotely worth talking about. Whenever I've found myself at one WS a total give up, or someone was trying to sell me something.

Waco is better for not having yet another chain restaurant.
PartyBear
I like the Papas restaurants. I have not heard of anything seriously about them coming into Waco recently. I had heard about 15 years ago they looked into the area and decided back then they didnt think there would be enough support here. Alot has changed since the mid/late 00s though. But still I havent heard anything since then.

I hope that the new river development is similar to Oyster Landing (where Hula Hut is) in Austin. In fact while I realize Hula Hut really isnt really a chain ( I think there are two the orginal in Austin and one in Lewisville or someplace like that) that would be cool to have on the river.
jbbear
Swart Dra said:

Never been to a papas restaurant of any kind remotely worth talking about. Whenever I've found myself at one WS a total give up, or someone was trying to sell me something.

Are we talking Pappas? As in Pappadeaux's? Or Pappas Seafood House? Both those places are fantastic and Waco would be instantly better for it.
Stranger
Pappas is what this guy is referring to. Supposedly Waco doesn't have the demographics.
I'm a Bearbacker
FranchiseBear
Agree... No way it is happening as waco demos do not support. Pappas Bros hamburger is $16 or more. Entrees at any of the non-steak restaurants are north of $20.
PartyBear
Hmm.....how do non chain high end places like 1424, Prime and Diamond Backs make it? For that matter Salt Grass is a pretty expensive chain and does well it should be noted.

Yes the burger one with all the cheaper and good burger options probably would not make it and possibly even the Mexican Pappas might not make it for the same reason. The seafood one and the steak one, I wouldnt just say it cant make it here. That probably isnt enough for the company to say it "might" do well. But I dont think posters on this board can make the call that there is no way a high end chain can make it here.
No Longer Gold
jbbear said:

Swart Dra said:

Are we talking Pappas? As in Pappadeaux's? Or Pappas Seafood House? Both those places are fantastic and Waco would be instantly better for it.

Yes. And and papa bbq, papas burgers, and the absolute worst of them all papas steakhouse.

With all the amazing places in Houston, I don't see how pappas has such a big footprint in the market.

Sheep trough…
FranchiseBear
The non chain examples you noted are what I would call special occasion restaurants in town. You go there for birthday, anniversary, celebration dinner, etc. They are not daily dining concepts.

The Pappas non steak concepts are all upper end casual dining that depends on heavy daily lunch crowd. I do not think Waco has the office density to support. Also if you look at how they develop markets they typically take a huge mass of land and plant several concepts there - Pappasitos, Pappadeaux, etc right next to each other. That further increases capital costs. I can not think of a single non metro city WAco's size that has one of their restaurants.

As for Pappas Bros Steakhouse - there are 3 in the entire chain. Houston (2) and DAllas. They are very sophisticated operators. It is not a knock on Waco - it just does not fit.
T-REX
Swart Dra said:

u hate them because they have a kids menu
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
No Longer Gold
T-REX said:

Swart Dra said:

Probably some actual science to that fact.
CammoTX
Swart Dra said:

jbbear said:

Swart Dra said:

Yes. And and papa bbq, papas burgers, and the absolute worst of them all papas steakhouse.

With all the amazing places in Houston, I don't see how pappas has such a big footprint in the market.

Sheep trough…

If you think Pappas Steakhouse is garbage then I think you might not have good taste in fine dining. There is nothing wrong with doing something "simple" exceptionally. I bet in 20 years places like Steak 48 will have come and gone, but Pappas Steakhouse will still be there.
Nguyen One Soon
FranchiseBear said:

The non chain examples you noted are what I would call special occasion restaurants in town. You go there for birthday, anniversary, celebration dinner, etc. They are not daily dining concepts.

The Pappas non steak concepts are all upper end casual dining that depends on heavy daily lunch crowd. I do not think Waco has the office density to support. Also if you look at how they develop markets they typically take a huge mass of land and plant several concepts there - Pappasitos, Pappadeaux, etc right next to each other. That further increases capital costs. I can not think of a single non metro city WAco's size that has one of their restaurants.

As for Pappas Bros Steakhouse - there are 3 in the entire chain. Houston (2) and DAllas. They are very sophisticated operators. It is not a knock on Waco - it just does not fit.
I was part of a group that helped the Chamber entertain Pappas when they looked at Waco about 25 years ago. One thing they did was look at a large number of menus from local restaurants. They quickly said they could not compete with the low lunch price points.
FranchiseBear
Nguyen One we need to book mark your response! This seems to come up every 6 mos or so.
PartyBear
Nguyen One Soon said:

FranchiseBear said:

I was part of a group that helped the Chamber entertain Pappas when they looked at Waco about 25 years ago. One thing they did was look at a large number of menus from local restaurants. They quickly said they could not compete with the low lunch price points.

25 years ago? The area has changed tremendously since 1997. McLennan county had some 60k-70k fewer people than it has now.
No Longer Gold
CammoTX said:

Swart Dra said:

jbbear said:

Swart Dra said:

Sheep trough…

If you think Pappas Steakhouse is garbage then I think you might not have good taste in fine dining. There is nothing wrong with doing something "simple" exceptionally. I bet in 20 years places like Steak 48 will have come and gone, but Pappas Steakhouse will still be there.

If you think pappas steak house serves a great steak, I can only think you love A-1, Rudy's BBQ, sushi, Plano, ketchup on hot dogs, size A bras, Coldplay, ABBA, and designated hitters.

Good luck on your journey, bro.
T-REX
Swart Dra said:

CammoTX said:

Swart Dra said:

jbbear said:

Swart Dra said:

Sheep trough…

If you think pappas steak house serves a great steak, I can only think you love A-1, Rudy's BBQ, sushi, Plano, ketchup on hot dogs, size A bras, Coldplay, ABBA, and designated hitters.

if you don't like sushi then you are uncultured
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
Big12Bear
Swart Dra said:

CammoTX said:

Swart Dra said:

jbbear said:

Swart Dra said:

Sheep trough…

Going scorched-earth is always a bold strategy. This is such a bad take that I'm getting second-hand embarrassment.

BearlyHeardFrom
Swart Dra said:

CammoTX said:

Swart Dra said:

jbbear said:

Swart Dra said:

Sheep trough…

Sushi? I knew you were an idiot but you just keep confirming it.
#LetsGoBrandon
SteamedHams
Swart Dra said:

CammoTX said:

Swart Dra said:

jbbear said:

Swart Dra said:

Sheep trough…

Wineguy89
Swart Dra said:

jbbear said:

Swart Dra said:

Sheep trough…

Wow!! You manage to make idiotic and asinine posts in all the forums don't you?? I think you're on an island here with saying that the 2nd most successful food franchise family in Texas sucks. They don't. You do however. Hugely.
Richard Reese
(True) Freshman - Bellville, TX
152 carries/791 yards/5.2 YPC/12 touchdowns
11 receptions/80 yards
1 game clinching studly TD vs Kansas
ZERO fumbles

Brett “Big Ballz” Yormark- Commissioner Big 12-16 Conference
One badass new TV contract with more goodies to come
BUbearinARK
Swart Dra said:

T-REX said:

Swart Dra said:

Probably some actual science to that fact.
The other other white meat

br53
Are they out of potatoes?
jbbear
Swart Dra said:

CammoTX said:

Swart Dra said:

jbbear said:

Swart Dra said:

Sheep trough…

It's good to see your bad takes are not just limited to sports.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.