New Waco Question

9,882 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by T-REX
Redbrickbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
T-REX said:

TonitrumOso said:

Haven't been back in 20 years (except a couple of stops at George's on various I-35 trips). Will be back this fall to visit my kids starting Baylor this year. Selfishly, I need to know the status of the following institutions:

Two Minnie's
Showtime Club
Kitok
Chapter 11
Crying Shame
Oso Burrito
Papa Joe's (where Billy Joe Shaver shot a guy)
Scruffy Murphy's

I am prepared for all of these to be gone and have lined up a grief counselor to get me through it. Thanks in advance. Any info is appreciated.

showtime is still there and scruffs is still there also. Kitok is as well but never been there. Same with oso burrito/mr oso as it's called I think. 2 Minnie's is gone. Idk about the rest

Come back to waco more often. Games are way more fun in person
Of course.

Its a cash cow and they don't have to do anything to improve it and kids still crowd the place out.

I had a good buddy drive up from College Station around 2008 with his girlfriend to hang out.

I told him to meet me at Scruffs and gave him the address. He and the girlfriend called back because they said they could not find the place...just this broke down looking building that seemed like a ex-FINA gas station.

I said oh yea that's the place...go right on in.
TonitrumOso
You've made my day, amigo.
TonitrumOso
Oh my. You are right and I am shamed. Thank you my friend. BTW, how's Sonny's BYOB now?
TonitrumOso
SteamedHams said:

Big12Bear said:

TonitrumOso said:

Haven't been back in 20 years (except a couple of stops at George's on various I-35 trips). Will be back this fall to visit my kids starting Baylor this year. Selfishly, I need to know the status of the following institutions:

Two Minnie's
Showtime Club
Kitok
Chapter 11
Crying Shame
Oso Burrito
Scruffy Murphy's

You better believe that Crying Shame, Chapter 11, Scruff's and Kitok are still there. Pony upto the bar and pay your respects (or order a liplocker w/cheese in Kitok's case).

Never been to Papa Joe's but know all about the Billy Joe story. Dale Watson made a song about it called "Where Do You Want It"

Crying Shame, and previously PJ's next to it...definitely would never be short of a unique cast of characters, at any hour.

It's like an episode of Cheers, but instead of Cliffy going on Jeopardy, he is forced to purchase hobo stab insurance.

I remember PJs. A great place for early morning drinks. It served the 3rd shift at the post office.
T-REX
TonitrumOso said:

Oh my. You are right and I am shamed. Thank you my friend. BTW, how's Sonny's BYOB now?
hasn't been open for years
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
TonitrumOso
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

TonitrumOso said:

Two Minnie's
Showtime Club
Kitok
Chapter 11
Crying Shame
PJ's has been closed for 9 years
Oso Burrito
Scruffy Murphy's

I am prepared for all of these to be gone and have lined up a grief counselor to get me through it. Thanks in advance. Any info is appreciated.

Havent lived there in 12 years but still get back for a few games and to see family.

Two Minnies gone
Showtime better than it used to be. First time 1976 16 years old, last time 2022 Say hi to Brenda
Kitok Still open Oriental fries still the best food there
Chapter 11 not a patron but still there
Crying Shame same
Papa Joes still open but usually pretty quit except for biker events. Fun place either way

No grieving.

You are a herald of great news. Thank you, my friend.
TonitrumOso
T-REX said:

TonitrumOso said:

Yeah, strip clubs got hammered by Only Fans. It's nationwide. RIP Sonny's.
T-REX
TonitrumOso said:

T-REX said:

TonitrumOso said:

sonny's closed long b4 only fans pretty sure lol
Baylor MBA 2023
T-REX
Closing prolly was due to people not wanting to see 300lb+ strippers. Only went there once and that's what I saw. Never again!
Baylor MBA 2023
TonitrumOso
T-REX said:

TonitrumOso said:

T-REX said:

TonitrumOso said:

sonny's closed long b4 only fans pretty sure lol

Ehhh, I like to give family business enterprises cover for their downfalls.
TenBears
william said:

luckily - some things haven't changed*

- KKM

* for 50 years.........

I hold firm in my belief that Arbys and Long John Silvers are both colossal money laundering arms of the Russians or the Bildeburgs or somesuch. No other way they've stayed in business this long.
T-REX
TenBears said:

william said:

- KKM

* for 50 years.........

I hold firm in my belief that Arbys and Long John Silvers are both colossal money laundering arms of the Russians or the Bildeburgs or somesuch. No other way they've stayed in business this long.
does Waco even have LJS any where? The one in the grease pit is gone
Baylor MBA 2023
whitetrash
T-REX said:

TenBears said:

william said:

- KKM

* for 50 years.........

Still one out at the far end of NVM just before Cobbs.
4th and Inches
whitetrash said:

T-REX said:

TenBears said:

william said:

- KKM

* for 50 years.........

Still one out at the far end of NVM just before Cobbs.
yep, and its just as gross as the one that used to be where dutch brothers is now by Baylor
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
cowboycwr
Bearly Interested said:

Oso Burrito was an unassuming little place down on La Salle which I believe really started the whole foodie revolution.

The sauces were layered and sophisticated. The meats were both intriguing and brilliantly spiced.

Were it not for animal control noticing the disappearance and thinning of the local cat population & the health department putting 2 and 2 together -- it would still be thriving.

Nobody knew what "chorizo" was back then.

Not the place I was thinking of then. There was a burrito place opened downtown before Freebirds and chipotle came to town. I want to say it was on 4th street in the spot where fabled bookstores is.
cowboycwr
Sonny's closed a long time ago. The owner tried opening it as a new name but it didn't take off and was the same problems as before- drugs, fights, bad strippers, and closed down. The business next to it (can't think of the name) bought the building and land and made sure no strip club ever came back.
PartyBear
cowboycwr said:

Bearly Interested said:

Oso Burrito was an unassuming little place down on La Salle which I believe really started the whole foodie revolution.

The sauces were layered and sophisticated. The meats were both intriguing and brilliantly spiced.

Were it not for animal control noticing the disappearance and thinning of the local cat population & the health department putting 2 and 2 together -- it would still be thriving.

Nobody knew what "chorizo" was back then.

Not the place I was thinking of then. There was a burrito place opened downtown before Freebirds and chipotle came to town. I want to say it was on 4th street in the spot where fabled bookstores is.

Yeah you just jogged my memory. I remember this it wasn't there very long, it opened in 03 and was there maybe a year at the most.
Eleven-League Grant
T-REX said:

falconbear said:

Have not lived in Waco since 2012, but on my recent trips back...

Downtown is sooooo much better than it used to be.

Way more new developments around I 35

La Salle next to campus still is a deserted wasteland. Was shocked at the lack of development there.
takes some real effort I'm sire to push out the riff Raf and rezone that entire area. Got to get the flee market out and free up all that space alone for some nice development space. Not sure how they go about forcing out storage/equipment/ect type businesses tho. But yea that whole strip needs some serious overhaul
While La Salle certainly has promise, it doesn't appear that the Waco city leaders are necessarily promoting commercial redevelopment for that area.

From the Waco Trib, back in February:
Quote:

The Salvation Army's Waco chapter plans to buy a 9.9 acre lot at 1324 La Salle Ave. from the city of Waco and build a new headquarters to house its Community Kitchen, shelters, church and other services now located downtown.

The Waco Plan Commission voted unanimously to recommend granting the organization a special-use permit for the new shelter space during a meeting Tuesday. The Waco City Council is scheduled to vote next month on whether to grant the permit.

Waco bought that vacant lot for either a million or two (can't remember which) in the hopes of persuading The Salvation Army to move its operations to the east side of I-35. I'm sure you can figure out the reason.

Obviously, the La Salle business owners are not too happy about this, but speaking as someone who has frequented the Waco Plan Commission meetings I'll say that in almost all cases the decisions are made in advance without public input and the open meetings are for window dressing only. Sad, but true. But, that's just my personal commentary. Please feel free to disagree.

Of course downtown, even if The Salvation Army is persuaded to move, will still have other charitable organizations that provide assistance to the needy. Whether they also are on the City's radar is anyone's guess.
falconbear
Eleven-League Grant said:

T-REX said:

falconbear said:

Have not lived in Waco since 2012, but on my recent trips back...

Downtown is sooooo much better than it used to be.

Way more new developments around I 35

La Salle next to campus still is a deserted wasteland. Was shocked at the lack of development there.
takes some real effort I'm sire to push out the riff Raf and rezone that entire area. Got to get the flee market out and free up all that space alone for some nice development space. Not sure how they go about forcing out storage/equipment/ect type businesses tho. But yea that whole strip needs some serious overhaul
While La Salle certainly has promise, it doesn't appear that the Waco city leaders are necessarily promoting commercial redevelopment for that area.

From the Waco Trib, back in February:
Quote:

The Salvation Army's Waco chapter plans to buy a 9.9 acre lot at 1324 La Salle Ave. from the city of Waco and build a new headquarters to house its Community Kitchen, shelters, church and other services now located downtown.

The Waco Plan Commission voted unanimously to recommend granting the organization a special-use permit for the new shelter space during a meeting Tuesday. The Waco City Council is scheduled to vote next month on whether to grant the permit.

Waco bought that vacant lot for either a million or two (can't remember which) in the hopes of persuading The Salvation Army to move its operations to the east side of I-35. I'm sure you can figure out the reason.

Obviously, the La Salle business owners are not too happy about this, but speaking as someone who has frequented the Waco Plan Commission meetings I'll say that in almost all cases the decisions are made in advance without public input and the open meetings are for window dressing only. Sad, but true. But, that's just my personal commentary. Please feel free to disagree.

Of course downtown, even if The Salvation Army is persuaded to move, will still have other charitable organizations that provide assistance to the needy. Whether they also are on the City's radar is anyone's guess.
Interesting info. I, for one, cannot understand at all the reasoning. The street is bookended by Baylor and Magnolia table and adjacent to basically all of the student neighborhoods. I would think it a prime opportunity for student oriented commercial and residential development.
BUAL
Just drove from Austin to spend a chunk of August up in a little Lake Michigan beach town to dodge the heat. Stopped, as we do frequently, and ate at the Union Food Hall downtown. My wife and I keep commenting that Waco is becoming like Austin 15 years ago, downtown. That may be a sretch but I have hardly witnessed a place change faster from nearly abandoned to pretty darn busy.
T-REX
BUAL said:

Just drove from Austin to spend a chunk of August up in a little Lake Michigan beach town to dodge the heat. Stopped, as we do frequently, and ate at the Union Food Hall downtown. My wife and I keep commenting that Waco is becoming like Austin 15 years ago, downtown. That may be a sretch but I have hardly witnessed a place change faster from nearly abandoned to pretty darn busy.
and 100000% for the better
Baylor MBA 2023
william
huaco needs a trader vic's........

- tbp*

aaaoooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh......

{ sipping coffee }

p*werewolves of huaco.

............ aaaaaaaaaaaaoooooooooooooooooohhhhh!

RIP WZ.

BID.

Dale?
T-REX
william said:

- tbp*

{ sipping coffee }

p*werewolves of huaco.

RIP WZ.

BID.

nobody knows what anything you just said means
Baylor MBA 2023
SteamedHams
T-REX said:

william said:

- tbp*

{ sipping coffee }

p*werewolves of huaco.

RIP WZ.

BID.

Best as I can tell it's a interpolation of Werewolves of
London to Werewolves of Waco, rip Warren Zevon. BID = But I digress maybe?

Now as for the WHY of all the textual gobbledegook over the years, my best guess is rampant drug use.
BUbearinARK
SteamedHams said:

T-REX said:

william said:

- tbp*

{ sipping coffee }

p*werewolves of huaco.

RIP WZ.

BID.

Best as I can tell it's a interpolation of Werewolves of
London to Werewolves of Waco, rip Warren Zevon. BID = But I digress maybe?

Now as for the WHY of all the textual gobbledegook over the years, my best guess is rampant drug use.
always wondered what was in the coffee.
BearlyHeardFrom
william said:

- tbp*

{ sipping coffee }

p*werewolves of huaco.

RIP WZ.

BID.

Call a Dr. He's having a stroke.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
william said:

- tbp*

{ sipping coffee }

p*werewolves of huaco.

RIP WZ.

BID.

AAAAUUUUUUOOOOOOO
CorsicanaBear
And a Lee Ho Fook's too.

Used to be a Trader Vic's in Dallas.
Mike E
I don't know about Oso Burrito but I had Oso's BBQ this weekend and their BBQ cup was great.

Sausage, brisket, mashed potatoes, potato salad, beans, rice..

T-REX
Mike E said:

I don't know about Oso Burrito but I had Oso's BBQ this weekend and their BBQ cup was great.

Sausage, brisket, mashed potatoes, potato salad, beans, rice..

where are they located?
Baylor MBA 2023
Redbrickbear
BUAL said:

Used to hear non-Baylor friends talk smack about Waco. Now you never hear that kind of talk.

It's always "had a nice weekend there" or "nice place"

And at least two friends boomer parents sold their houses and moved to Waco. Cashed out in DFW and moved because they like the town and it was close to both Austin and the metroplex.

They had no Baylor affiliation.
73s de N4WJP
BearlyHeardFrom said:

william said:

- tbp*

{ sipping coffee }

p*werewolves of huaco.

RIP WZ.

BID.

I've had a stroke. Believe me, that's not it.

He does post a lot of great music though, so he's got that going for him...
BUbearinARK
73s de N4WJP said:

BearlyHeardFrom said:

william said:

- tbp*

{ sipping coffee }

p*werewolves of huaco.

RIP WZ.

BID.

I've had a stroke. Believe me, that's not it.

He does post a lot of great music though, so he's got that going for him...
{eating a doughnut}
73s de N4WJP
Redbrickbear said:

BUAL said:

Used to hear non-Baylor friends talk smack about Waco. Now you never hear that kind of talk.

It's always "had a nice weekend there" or "nice place"

And at least two friends boomer parents sold their houses and moved to Waco. Cashed out in DFW and moved because they like the town and it was close to both Austin and the metroplex.

They had no Baylor affiliation.
I've always thought a lot of the Waco hate was due to:

1.Only passing through on I-35 and thinking that's what the whole city must be like.

2. Never been here at all and just regurgitating a common trope.

3. I've spoken to several acquaintances that grew up in Waco during 1960-2000 when the place did have more than its share of issues. I'll occasionally try to explain how it has changed in the last 10 years, but their eyes just glaze over in disbelief. That's fine with me. I've lived in Washington DC and Austin, and my ability to deal with ruthless traffic (which will never change imo) has long since passed.
PartyBear
While the development along 35 through Waco has increased substantially over the past 10 years. I still think for those just driving through think that what you see along 35 is essentially the entirety of Waco.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.