So much for the local craft distillery business....

2,807 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by CammoTX
whitetrash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Balcones sells out to Diageo (maker of Crown Royal, Smirnoff, Guiness, etc.).
OsoCoreyell
whitetrash said:

Meh. Diageo has a history of letting the crafters craft. We'll see.
loanbear
whitetrash said:

Good for them. Make it great, and then sell it for profit while moving on the next deal. That is what makes America great and unique.
Porteroso
loanbear said:

whitetrash said:

Good for them. Make it great, and then sell it for profit while moving on the next deal. That is what makes America great and unique.

Selling out to large corporations is absolutely not what makes America great. Maybe having the option to do so is one of the plethora of things that makes America great.

We will see how this shakes out, but often in dealslike this, a very few profit, and everyone else loses out. Its the exception when large corporations can maintain the magic of a successful small business.
baylrballa
hard to see this as a positive for Waco or the consumer, but we will see. Balcones already was a shell of what made it great initially.
Redbrickbear
loanbear said:

whitetrash said:

You think the ole "pump and dump" style of capitalism makes us unique?
OsoCoreyell
Redbrickbear said:

loanbear said:

whitetrash said:

Building a business and selling it is NOT what pump and dump is.
loanbear
OsoCoreyell said:

Redbrickbear said:

loanbear said:

whitetrash said:

Building up a business and profiting from your hard work is not price manipulation of the market/asset(pump and dump).

And yes, America is one of the few places where you can truly start with nothing and build something great and sell it for a profit. It is absolutely something that makes America great and different than most of the world.
Redbrickbear
loanbear said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Redbrickbear said:

loanbear said:

whitetrash said:

Building up a business and profiting from your hard work is not price manipulation of the market/asset(pump and dump).

And yes, America is one of the few places where you can truly start with nothing and build something great and sell it for a profit. It is absolutely something that makes America great and different than most of the world.
You can't start a business and build it up and then sell it for a profit in Japan, S. Korea, Taiwan, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Mexico, Canada, or the entire European Union?
BaylorHistory
Redbrickbear said:

loanbear said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Redbrickbear said:

loanbear said:

whitetrash said:

You can't start a business and build it up and then sell it for a profit in Japan, S. Korea, Taiwan, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Mexico, Canada, or the entire European Union?
Well yeah but besides those places and any other places you can think of
OsoCoreyell
Redbrickbear said:

loanbear said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Redbrickbear said:

loanbear said:

whitetrash said:

All I'll say is that the frequency with which that activity occurs in most of the jurisdictions you named is a fraction of what it is in the United States. There are many and varied reasons for the differences in different jurisdictions, but in general, yes, the United States is a veritable shangri-la to start and grow a business compared to all of the places you named.
loanbear
Redbrickbear said:

loanbear said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Redbrickbear said:

loanbear said:

whitetrash said:

Correct.

I have traveled pretty extensively to every country you just listed with the exception of Australia/New Zealand. If you think the barriers of entry/success are the same in those places, you are sorely mistaken.

American's really don't understand how good we have it here. You start to have real conversations outside your borders and you instantly realize that being born into this country is an absolute privilege of the highest order.
Edmond Bear
loanbear said:

being born into this country is an absolute privilege of the highest order.

edit: regret being an ahole, deleting.

Wade
The number I heard from a non balcones source was $680mm. No idea on accuracy.

My guess is Diago is gonna build massive production capability and put Balcones everywhere in the world. Balcones has turned down many buying requests in the past cause their production was not close to what was needed by interested parties. Hopefully this deal put a lot of money in some friends pockets.
Garmon Randolph #55 - JACK
Tackles:
Alfonzo Allen #12 - S
Tackles:
Dawson Pendergrass
Redbrickbear
loanbear said:

Redbrickbear said:

loanbear said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Redbrickbear said:

loanbear said:

whitetrash said:

Correct.

I have traveled pretty extensively to every country you just listed with the exception of Australia/New Zealand. If you think the barriers of entry/success are the same in those places, you are sorely mistaken.

American's really don't understand how good we have it here. You start to have real conversations outside your borders and you instantly realize that being born into this country is an absolute privilege of the highest order.

[As a global hub for innovation, Singapore has built a vibrant ecosystem featuring global R&D labs for leading Fortune 500 companies, as well as over 150 venture capital funds, incubators and accelerators. You can also find the Asia-Pacific headquarters of 'unicorns' such as Grab, Sea, Lazada and Razer here.]

https://indonesiaexpat.id/business-property/why-singapore-is-considered-one-of-the-worlds-most-business-friendly-countries/

ABC BEAR
Redbrickbear said:

loanbear said:

Redbrickbear said:

loanbear said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Redbrickbear said:

loanbear said:

whitetrash said:

Correct.

[As a global hub for innovation, Singapore has built a vibrant ecosystem featuring global R&D labs for leading Fortune 500 companies, as well as over 150 venture capital funds, incubators and accelerators. You can also find the Asia-Pacific headquarters of 'unicorns' such as Grab, Sea, Lazada and Razer here.]

https://indonesiaexpat.id/business-property/why-singapore-is-considered-one-of-the-worlds-most-business-friendly-countries/

You can also be caned 38 times for chewing gum or spitting on the sidewalk.
OsoCoreyell
Redbrickbear said:

loanbear said:

Redbrickbear said:

loanbear said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Redbrickbear said:

loanbear said:

whitetrash said:

Correct.

Singapore IS a bright light. Unfortunately, they face crippling labor costs and don't have anything like the resource availability they need. So their ability for business is almost entirely confined to biotech an tech, many with large start-up costs.
Redbrickbear
ABC BEAR said:

Redbrickbear said:

loanbear said:

Redbrickbear said:

loanbear said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Redbrickbear said:

loanbear said:

whitetrash said:

Correct.

You can also be caned 38 times for chewing gum or spitting on the sidewalk.

Between that and San Francisco I chose the caning people for chewing gum violations.
Grimm
Does Tate see any of that money? I still think they did him dirty and won't touch the stuff.
ThatBaylorGuy
Any word on when Tate will start pumping out whiskey at his distillery? It's my fallback in case Balcones goes down hill
trey3216
ThatBaylorGuy said:

Any word on when Tate will start pumping out whiskey at his distillery? It's my fallback in case Balcones goes down hill

Haven't talked to him in a while. I'll do some digging
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
CammoTX
I'll be that guy - I'm not a fan of Balcones bourbon. I like their other stuff but their bourbon has too much bite. It's not sweet enough for my taste.
baylrballa
CammoTX said:

I'll be that guy - I'm not a fan of Balcones bourbon. I like their other stuff but their bourbon has too much bite. It's not sweet enough for my taste.
interesting, their latest one I picked up I would classify as too sweet.
CammoTX
baylrballa said:

CammoTX said:

The pot sill bourbon is the one that isn't mellow enough for my taste.
baylrballa
CammoTX said:

baylrballa said:

CammoTX said:

The pot sill bourbon is the one that isn't mellow enough for my taste.

that one's not good in a lot of ways.
trey3216
My favorite offering of theirs is still the True Blue Cask Strength. Can't find it anymore. Not talking the TB 100, but the Cask Strength. For some reason, the hotter it gets proof-wise the taste is smoother for some reason.

The Single Malt is really solid though.
BaylorHistory
I have no palette for hard liquor generally, but I'm a Brimstone guy so I'm guessing that's considered one of their less impressive options.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
CammoTX
Not to derail, but I make my old fashioned with Weller Special Reserve (I know, I know) and it is basically impossible to find now in Houston. My backup was Buffalo Trace and I can't even find that! This is getting ridiculous - it's not like I'm trying to find Blanton's or Pappy!
trey3216
CammoTX said:

Not to derail, but I make my old fashioned with Weller Special Reserve (I know, I know) and it is basically impossible to find now in Houston. My backup was Buffalo Trace and I can't even find that! This is getting ridiculous - it's not like I'm trying to find Blanton's or Pappy!
its been that way for about 3-4 years now. You used to be able to find Weller 12 for $28/. That's like hunting for king cobras in Grand PrAirie now
CammoTX
trey3216 said:

CammoTX said:

its been that way for about 3-4 years now. You used to be able to find Weller 12 for $28/. That's like hunting for king cobras in Grand PrAirie now

Houston, I have a problem
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.