Broken G BBQ at The Backyard

2,398 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by FirmBear24
Edmond Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone tried it?

Blurb from Mike Copeland at the Waco Trib:

Broken G BBQ hits downtown

Anthony Walton and Toni Taylor, two veterans of the local barbecue scene, are serving at The Backyard Bar Stage and Grill, on South Eighth Street downtown. Judging by the Facebook response, and photos of their handiwork, it would be safe to assume they have quite a following.

Owners of The Backyard posted a note on Facebook, discussing their own journey to business ownership and their affinity for up-and-comers: "Folks gave these four dudes a chance, a loan and a vote of confidence to get started. We are proud to pay it forward and honored to welcome Anthony Walton and Broken G BBQ to the family," said the message.

Walton will smoke barbecue on the premises, and serve sides such as country-style potato salad, "getchasum potatoes," cowboy baked beans, "liquid gold mac 'n cheese" and homestyle green beans, says the Facebook post.

Perhaps the arrival downtown of Broken G Barbecue can ease the loss of Honky Tonk Kid BBQ, which became a popular destination on Mary Avenue before proprietor David Gorham chose to close and recharge his batteries. He has not ruled out opening elsewhere sometime down the road.

Grimm
I think it is the guy that was working out of buzzard billy's? I was sad to see them go... The tater tot mountain thing was pretty good.
Yogi
Grimm said:

I think it is the guy that was working out of buzzard billy's? I was sad to see them go... The tater tot mountain thing was pretty good.
Wait, he's now gone from Buzzard's?

Then is there any decent fare left at Buzzard Billy's?

I am sorry, but I haven't returned to Buzzard's since my last less than quality meal. They got rid of the good stuff on the menu and then reduced the quality of everything else down to the sides.

I'd be willing to pay more for better quality.

It certainly is not the Buzzard Billy's I grew up with.

If they're making money by destroying the menu, then good for them, but I certainly would rather that establishment house a restaurant and bar that actually takes pride in its menu and takes every step to ensure the quality the market expects in that establishment.

Maybe one day, I'll return, but the good service and quality of the menu from yesteryears needs to return as well.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Robert Wilson
Thought BBQ at Buzzard's was weird. Backyard makes more sense from a conceptual / venue standpoint.
Grimm
Yogi said:

Grimm said:

I think they are rebranding as Brazos Landing and bringing the food quality up. The bar section will still be Buzzard Billy's from what our server said last week. I used to really dislike the place, but they seemed to have started turning stuff around the last few times we have gone. The shrimp and grits were great, the short rib thing was as well. I think they are trying to go more upmarket maybe? My dish had micro greens...
Yogi
Grimm said:

Yogi said:

Grimm said:

I think they are rebranding as Brazos Landing and bringing the food quality up. The bar section will still be Buzzard Billy's from what our server said last week. I used to really dislike the place, but they seemed to have started turning stuff around the last few times we have gone. The shrimp and grits were great, the short rib thing was as well. I think they are trying to go more upmarket maybe? My dish had micro greens...

Well, last time I was there, I was served cheap canned green beans that were nothing like the ones I was accustomed to, and the chicken fried steak was crap compared to what it used to be.

Besides that, they took the pierogi completely off the menu, which is a damned shame considering how great that dish used to be.

smh
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Robert Wilson
Grimm said:

Yogi said:

Grimm said:

That would be nice. That spot deserves something good.
PartyBear
Buzzard Billy's was really good about up until about 3 years ago. Great Cajun food, which Waco desperately needs. Then around 2019 it attempted to go up scale with fancier dishes (that were no longer Cajun) and went substantially higher in price. I havent been in 3 years. It is now changing its name? That is really too bad.
UrsinusInfction
PartyBear said:

Buzzard Billy's was really good about up until about 3 years ago. Great Cajun food, which Waco desperately needs. Then around 2019 it attempted to go up scale with fancier dishes (that were no longer Cajun) and went substantially higher in price. I havent been in 3 years. It is now changing its name? That is really too bad.

Friday's and Cajun Craft have been our go-to Cajun places lately. I'd recommend both.
WacoKelly83
Have you tried PeeWee's Crabcakes in Hewitt? Really good Cajun food. Original location is in the Gentilly neighborhood of New Orleans. Great sauces.

https://www.peeweescrabcakesoftexas.com/menu
TechDawgMc
UrsinusInfction said:

PartyBear said:

Friday's and Cajun Craft have been our go-to Cajun places lately. I'd recommend both.
I've eaten at Cajun Craft. Thought they were good, solid Cajun. Haven't had a chance to try Friday's yet. My first experience at BB was so bad I had a hard time trying it again--just not even close to Cajun cooking.
KajunKarlsdad
TechDawgMc said:

UrsinusInfction said:

PartyBear said:

I've eaten at Cajun Craft. Thought they were good, solid Cajun. Haven't had a chance to try Friday's yet. My first experience at BB was so bad I had a hard time trying it again--just not even close to Cajun cooking.

When my daughter was a freshman, her roommate from California took her to Buzzard Billy's because she wanted to try Cajun food. My daughter sent me pictures of what they called etouffee and gumbo, she says it tasted worse than it looked which was bad. Every time I went up for visits she had me cook for her friends; never had any leftovers. I've never had the nerve to try Cajun food in Waco or anywhere else in Texas. I'll stick to Tex-Mex and BBQ in Texas. I jokingly told my wife I should retire and go open an authentic Cajun place in Waco.
trey3216
Yogi said:

Grimm said:

Wait, he's now gone from Buzzard's?

I am sorry, but I haven't returned to Buzzard's since my last less than quality meal. They got rid of the good stuff on the menu and then reduced the quality of everything else down to the sides.

I'd be willing to pay more for better quality.

It certainly is not the Buzzard Billy's I grew up with.

If they're making money by destroying the menu, then good for them, but I certainly would rather that establishment house a restaurant and bar that actually takes pride in its menu and takes every step to ensure the quality the market expects in that establishment.

Maybe one day, I'll return, but the good service and quality of the menu from yesteryears needs to return as well.
You think the Waco market expects quality from their restaurants, yet continues to support some of the utter crap that has gone just as far downhill as Buzzard Billy's? lol
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
trey3216
Yogi said:

Grimm said:

Yogi said:

Grimm said:

Well, last time I was there, I was served cheap canned green beans that were nothing like the ones I was accustomed to, and the chicken fried steak was crap compared to what it used to be.

Besides that, they took the pierogi completely off the menu, which is a damned shame considering how great that dish used to be.

smh
You went to a "Cajun food place" to eat CFS and pierogi? Maybe you're part of the problem my friend.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
TechDawgMc
KajunKarlsdad said:

TechDawgMc said:

UrsinusInfction said:

PartyBear said:

When my daughter was a freshman, her roommate from California took her to Buzzard Billy's because she wanted to try Cajun food. My daughter sent me pictures of what they called etouffee and gumbo, she says it tasted worse than it looked which was bad. Every time I went up for visits she had me cook for her friends; never had any leftovers. I've never had the nerve to try Cajun food in Waco or anywhere else in Texas. I'll stick to Tex-Mex and BBQ in Texas. I jokingly told my wife I should retire and go open an authentic Cajun place in Waco.
Yeah, I think it's wise to be suspicious of Cajun this far north. My first experience with BB, we got boiled crawfish. They were basically just boiled in water, no spices at all.

There is a good place in Cedar Park -- little mom&pop called Cajun Skillet. I think they're about to open a shop in Temple. They do a solid etouffee.
cowboycwr
KajunKarlsdad said:

TechDawgMc said:

UrsinusInfction said:

PartyBear said:

Tejun in Robinson is really good.

Not quite Cajun but sort of an east Texas Cajun. But really good.

I have also heard that place in Hewitt is good. Don't remember the name. something crab cakes or similar.
amhen787
It's the same guy, and his partner is from the Waco restaurant industry as well. He's also doing event catering and some spotlight nights at Brotherwell Brewing. The meats are delicious and never dry, and their specialty dishes like the tater tot mountain thing are great too.
Moondoggie
Family and I went to buzzards after seeing a Baylor theatre play this summer. Pricey and we all left hungry. Never again.
FirmBear24
PeeWee's is likely the place you are thinking of in Hewitt. Have not been, but heard good things.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.