Waco backing out of arena hotel…

3,453 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by CammoTX
baylorguy09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looks like the city may back out of their hotel agreement with Baylor…

https://wacotrib.com/news/local/education/waco-may-scrap-plan-for-hotel-next-to-baylor-basketball-arena/article_7c855c82-6543-11ed-acbf-130f51b9ed4d.html#tracking-source=home-top-story
BaylorGuy314
Was kinda looking forward to this hotel but I also questioned the financials of it. I'm assuming this was a "go big or go home" type of deal.

That said, a 10 story parking garage by itself isn't ideal - hope they can really dress it up. I do think there is an opportunity for a small amount of Class A office space in there but I bet the cost of doing a small amount would make that prohibitive.
Robert Wilson
So the parking garage is going to be taller than the arena? What a great aesthetic...

Not sure who would want office space over there unless there really is some successful retail/restaurant development around it. It's a bit of a hike from the busy areas of downtown.
Bear Doc
Robert Wilson said:

So the parking garage is going to be taller than the arena? What a great aesthetic...

Not sure who would want office space over there unless there really is some successful retail/restaurant development around it. It's a bit of a hike from the busy areas of downtown.
We are all about aesthetics in Waco....
Baylorbears111
Robert Wilson said:

Just throw some steeples on it and call it good.
Bear Doc
Baylorbears111 said:

Robert Wilson said:

Just throw some steeples on it and call it good.
Smoke stacks are the new steeples, yo.... Do you even hurd center, bro?
Beardown1919
I was disappointed when I saw the headline, but it looks like the development going up around there originally had a hotel that was adjusted to be an office building due to this hotel. If they don't build this hotel on top of the garage, then the other development may pivot back to including a hotel.

To me the $5 million the city saves in the change does seem worth the loss of the hotel and that revenue, but I'm far from an expert.
Blackjack Bear
The other developer will more than likely be much more interested in a hotel
BaylorHistory
I wish I had F you money so I could buy the rights to Josh's name and open a Lomers' Tip-Off Bar and Grill right next to the arena.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
OsoCoreyell
BaylorHistory said:

I wish I had F you money so I could buy the rights to Josh's name and open a Lomers' Tip-Off Bar and Grill right next to the arena.
That's the Lomer TipIN bar.
Bear Doc
OsoCoreyell said:

BaylorHistory said:

That's the Lomer TipIN bar.

How about Lomer's Just the Tip?
Yogi
Drew's Brews and Blues?

"Smarter than the Average Bear."
cowboycwr
So does this mean the Grant hotel in the middle of nowhere will move forward now????

Above said in jest as yes the location was not really middle of nowhere but it was an odd location
Tiny Elvis
It's not in an odd location if you've got the Lady Donnell to shuttle you up and down the Brazos?!
Grinnin bear
I'm still holding out hope that Keyonte George can catch fire later this year and end up a top 5 pick in the NBA draft and get said "F you" money. Then Keyonte and Sammy Citrano become bestest friends and we end up with a "Keyonte George's" location basically adjacent to the new Arena.
ABC BEAR
A 10-story parking garage needs to be capped with a 24 hour rotating restaurant...IHOP, Denny's or some other place with pancakes.
Yogi
Don't get me started on Denny's.

Especially if you're going to rotate the restaurant while I am eating their food...
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
atomicblast
Isnt commercial real estate at all time vacancy rates? I'd rather hotel.
CammoTX
atomicblast said:

Isnt commercial real estate at all time vacancy rates? I'd rather hotel.

Not really. Office is pretty lousy most places but industrial has been very steady and will likely continue to be so with demand for distribution warehouse not going away. Retail is actually faring quite well in many Texas markets.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.