Home security provider

1,502 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BearlyHeardFrom
60R
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We have just purchased a home in Waco and need to equip with security system. I would appreciate any recommendations for installation and monitoring. I prefer a local company.
BaylorGuy314
I know many people are enamored with monitoring services but most are junk. True story- i lived off hwy 84 for a decade and worked about 10 minutes away at the corner of hwy 6 and hwy 84 near the mall. As I am pulling into the parking lot one day, I get a call from my monitoring service that my alarm is going off. I tell them I am not home so they call the police. In the meantime, I decide to drive home to assess the situation. I get home, find that the door to my garage wasn't pulled all the way to, go inside to make sure all is well, reset the alarm, and head back to work. I get back to my office (it has now been 25 min since I was first notified) only to get a call back from the monitoring service that police are at my home, the alarm is not going off, and its locked up. I canceled the service shortly thereafter and now subscribe to the theory that cameras (no matter how crappy) are a far better deterent. Crooks will find an easier target.

But I digress...do you have an alarm now? Not all monitoring services can tie their equipment into existing alarms. For example, ADT offers monitoring but they will charge you four figures to basically rework your existing alarm system.

Therrell Alarm provides monitoring services in Waco and their equipment works with many types of pre-existing systems.

If you are looking for an alarm+monitoring then there are a million aftermarket solutions out there and I'll let someone else chime in but will reiterate that you are better off putting your money in a deterrent than an alarm. Banks have great alarm systems but the crooks are out the door by the time the police arrive. Just my opinion.

FirmBear24
An alarm system might not be a deterrent, but it can provide peace of mind. It helps my wife sleep better knowing there is an alarm if someone tries to break in. The sign in the front yard can also act as a deterrent.
SteamedHams
On the DIY front…I have the Ring alarm system and it's been great.
trey3216
BaylorGuy314 said:

I know many people are enamored with monitoring services but most are junk. True story- i lived off hwy 84 for a decade and worked about 10 minutes away at the corner of hwy 6 and hwy 84 near the mall. As I am pulling into the parking lot one day, I get a call from my monitoring service that my alarm is going off. I tell them I am not home so they call the police. In the meantime, I decide to drive home to assess the situation. I get home, find that the door to my garage wasn't pulled all the way to, go inside to make sure all is well, reset the alarm, and head back to work. I get back to my office (it has now been 25 min since I was first notified) only to get a call back from the monitoring service that police are at my home, the alarm is not going off, and its locked up. I canceled the service shortly thereafter and now subscribe to the theory that cameras (no matter how crappy) are a far better deterent. Crooks will find an easier target.

But I digress...do you have an alarm now? Not all monitoring services can tie their equipment into existing alarms. For example, ADT offers monitoring but they will charge you four figures to basically rework your existing alarm system.

Therrell Alarm provides monitoring services in Waco and their equipment works with many types of pre-existing systems.

If you are looking for an alarm+monitoring then there are a million aftermarket solutions out there and I'll let someone else chime in but will reiterate that you are better off putting your money in a deterrent than an alarm. Banks have great alarm systems but the crooks are out the door by the time the police arrive. Just my opinion.

My brother is co-GM and head of sales at Therrell. They do good work
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
hill02
I haven't used Therrell alarm but their lock folks are top notch - fantastic customer service.
forza orsi
trey3216 said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

Odd coincidence - working with him right now. I like everything so far.
trey3216
forza orsi said:

trey3216 said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

Odd coincidence - working with him right now. I like everything so far.
Nice. Slap him for me and tell him what's up
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
BearCPA
Peace of mind is hard to buy!

Last Tuesday morning at 2:15 AM, my wife and I were awaken by the sound of a crash and the dogs barking. Our house is lit up like Clark W Griswold and we have 10 Blink cameras around the house, I assumed we were protected. I walk out of the bedroom door in my underwear to appease the wife and see an intruder turn around and exit the door to the garage when he sees me. I turn around as quickly as I could to grab a pistol from the nightstand rapid safe and tell the wife someone is in the house and to call 911 and lock the bedroom door behind me. I clear the downstairs and head for the garage; the intruder used the garage door opener from an unlocked truck to enter the garage and then kick in the door to the house. I exit the garage and confronted the intruder on the back porch. He had his back to me and stopped when I yelled for him to stop and the cops were on the way. There was a lawn chair a few feet away. I asked him to sit down in the chair while I held him at gun point from 15 feet away. The longest 15 minutes of my life waiting for the sheriff's dept to arrive!

I learned many important lessons that night. I check every noise now with a gun in my hand. Our trucks are always locked now. We changed out the striker plate screws on all doors to make sure they screw into the studs. We purchased a new S&W .45 on Saturday morning with a light and red dot for the wife. We have a plan now if that was to ever happen again. We are creating a safe room downstairs and one upstairs with solid core doors and barricades. She had a local alarm company out this morning to give an estimate.

Bell County Inmate Inquiry Portal
SteamedHams
BearCPA said:

Peace of mind is hard to buy!

Last Tuesday morning at 2:15 AM, my wife and I were awaken by the sound of a crash and the dogs barking. Our house is lit up like Clark W Griswold and we have 10 Blink cameras around the house, I assumed we were protected. I walk out of the bedroom door in my underwear to appease the wife and see an intruder turn around and exit the door to the garage when he sees me. I turn around as quickly as I could to grab a pistol from the nightstand rapid safe and tell the wife someone is in the house and to call 911 and lock the bedroom door behind me. I clear the downstairs and head for the garage; the intruder used the garage door opener from an unlocked truck to enter the garage and then kick in the door to the house. I exit the garage and confronted the intruder on the back porch. He had his back to me and stopped when I yelled for him to stop and the cops were on the way. There was a lawn chair a few feet away. I asked him to sit down in the chair while I held him at gun point from 15 feet away. The longest 15 minutes of my life waiting for the sheriff's dept to arrive!

I learned many important lessons that night. I check every noise now with a gun in my hand. Our trucks are always locked now. We changed out the striker plate screws on all doors to make sure they screw into the studs. We purchased a new S&W .45 on Saturday morning with a light and red dot for the wife. We have a plan now if that was to ever happen again. We are creating a safe room downstairs and one upstairs with solid core doors and barricades. She had a local alarm company out this morning to give an estimate.

Bell County Inmate Inquiry Portal

HOLY &$%#

What a crazy story, I am so glad y'all were ok.

I cannot imagine what my heart rate would have been during all that. Unbelievable stuff, could have gone south in so many different ways. Whew…
BearlyHeardFrom
Scary. He's lucky you didn't shoot him.

One thing we did was tie our garage doors to the alarm system. So if the alarm is armed and the garage door opens, the alarm will go off. Hopefully that will stop someone from going any further in a scenario like yours when I forget to lock my truck.
#LetsGoBrandon
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.