New Condo across from McLane would be Waco"s tallest building.

10,716 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Edmond Bear
Yogi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
From the trib. Another pie in the sky project, it seems. But they do have renderings out.

"Smarter than the Average Bear."
whitetrash
Needs a Lady Donell riverboat to be successful
Jackson Bear
That looks like an Austin style project. That would take a lot of outsiders moving here because of the Magnolia publicity to fill. Don't see that filled with Baylor students.
Yogi
Add steeples and it could go even higher.
Yogi
I love the rendering with the schmancy bourgeois condo tower in the foreground with the large industrial ulitarian warehouse in the background.
whitetrash
FYI: this is proposed for the vacant lot behind the Red Roof Inn across MLK from the electrical substation and diagonally across I-35 from McLane. It's wedged between I-35 and the RR tracks that separate it from the back of the Tejas Logistics warehouses. No access from two sides; only from MLK and the I-35 access road.
PartyBear
What are all the buildings and streets around it in the rendering.
SSadler
Hurry up and develop.

Sic'em owners need their penthouse suites.

:
Grinnin bear
So would sort of be across MLK from Buzzard Billy's?
BellCountyBear
How long before someone howls this is racist?
T-REX
BellCountyBear said:

How long before someone howls this is racist?
happened immediately on fb
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
BUbearinARK
The updated rendering shows it;s a real dive

BaylorBJM
Waco may have the most lopsided ratio of proposed projects to projects which actually break-ground in the entire country
Yogi
BUbearinARK said:

The updated rendering shows it;s a real dive

Underappreciated post.

You must have been bored.
Yogi
BaylorBJM said:

Waco may have the most lopsided ratio of proposed projects to projects which actually break-ground in the entire country
Waco is one of the coolest cities on paper...
CorsicanaBear
Everybody thinks Waco could and should be a great city given its location, they just can't figure out how to make the money work.

It's like nuclear fusion. After a lot of years and a bunch of money they finally figured out how to get more energy out than they put in. In Waco they are working hard to figure out how to get significant projects to produce more money than they cost. We're close (just like fusion has been for 25 years).

I think that had Covid not happened we might have been there now.
BaylorHistory
CorsicanaBear said:

It's like nuclear fusion.

Is it? One is probably a boon to the distant future of the species and the other is just a couple atoms coming together.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
falconbear
I give this about a 2% chance of actual development
baylrballa
falconbear said:

I give this about a 2% chance of actual development
Pretty bullish stance.
cowboycwr
BaylorBJM said:

So true. How many different river front projects were there? And none of them happened and the development going on along the river from 35 to Franklin seems to have gone forward more one building at a time then any sort of "project" linked together.
william
whitetrash said:

Needs a Lady Donell riverboat to be successful
needs an arby's on site along w/ a starbucks, mini conv. store, dry cleaner, etc.

gotta reach the upper demographic.

- KKM

{ sipping coffee }
Dale?
Adriacus Peratuun
How can anyone legitimately propose any high rise building in Waco given the ratio of high rise construction cost to relevant land value? Additional/substitute land acquisition would have to be far less costly.

I can see mid rise construction being viable but high rise construction numbers have zero chance of working.

Coke Bear
Adriacus Peratuun said:

How can anyone legitimately propose any high rise building in Waco given the ratio of high rise construction cost to relevant land value? Additional/substitute land acquisition would have to be far less costly.

I can see mid rise construction being viable but high rise construction numbers have zero chance of working.

100% understand; however, given the lack of land in that area and the desire for alums to be within walking distance to both Foster and McLane, I can see why someone would propose this idea..

My BIL is actively searching for a condo close to Foster. Very limited quality condos downtown in that area.
T-REX
Coke Bear said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

100% understand; however, given the lack of land in that area and the desire for alums to be within walking distance to both Foster and McLane, I can see why someone would propose this idea..

My BIL is actively searching for a condo close to Foster. Very limited quality condos downtown in that area.
this. Is the demand there for this exact type? Prolly not at this time. But for condos in general in that area? Yes by far
Baylor MBA 2023
cowboycwr
Adriacus Peratuun said:

On something that tall I would agree.

Something around 10-15 stories I would think could be profitable in the right location as people would love the views.... in that spot where half the views are towards east Waco/ not so much...
T-REX
cowboycwr said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

Something around 10-15 stories I would think could be profitable in the right location as people would love the views.... in that spot where half the views are towards east Waco/ not so much...
east Waco will likely continue to gradually improve. How much and exactly what parts depends on many factors
Baylor MBA 2023
cowboycwr
T-REX said:

cowboycwr said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

east Waco will likely continue to gradually improve. How much and exactly what parts depends on many factors
True but even now the improvements are focused mainly on one street. The neighborhoods aren't getting any improvements. Like the one across from the stadium or the ones around Elm street.
Bear1969
I don't know if the proposed tower would be economically viable but imagine the enhanced image of Waco that would be generated by a modern 20 story building in close proximity to I35. In 1911 the president of an insurance company was bold enough to build a 22 story building in downtown Waco, Texas. Surely there is enough demand for mixed use condos, hotel, office space (perhaps some city offices), and retail space that could support that tower.
Volunteer
CorsicanaBear said:

Everybody thinks Waco could and should be a great city given its location, they just can't figure out how to make the money work.

It's like nuclear fusion. After a lot of years and a bunch of money they finally figured out how to get more energy out than they put in. In Waco they are working hard to figure out how to get significant projects to produce more money than they cost. We're close (just like fusion has been for 25 years).

I think that had Covid not happened we might have been there now.
Some 70 (or so) years later, Waco is still feeling the effects of the tornado. Really stunted growth in the city.
CorsicanaBear
You are correct about the tornado. Three events have made Waco what it is today: The crash of king cotton/dust bowl, the tornado and the closing of Conally Airforce Base.
Coke Bear
CorsicanaBear said:

You are correct about the tornado. Three events have made Waco what it is today: The crash of king cotton/dust bowl, the tornado and the closing of Conally Airforce Base.
Some conspiracy theory people would say that the few families that controlled Waco in the 60's thru thru the 80's limited Waco's growth by keeping companies like GM from building here so that they could keep the wages low.

In 90's and 2000's, these people were bringing Hispanics from south Texas to work for lower wages.
Bearly
Yes, and also the closing of the General Tire plant.
atomicblast
Coke Bear said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Some conspiracy theory people would say that the few families that controlled Waco in the 60's thru thru the 80's limited Waco's growth by keeping companies like GM from building here so that they could keep the wages low.

In 90's and 2000's, these people were bringing Hispanics from south Texas to work for lower wages.
Also the crappy people who didnt do jack about fixing the town's water supply.
Tiny Elvis
They are planning to bring back Po' Folks restaurant which will be on the 10th floor.
Ghostrider
Jackson Bear said:

That looks like an Austin style project. That would take a lot of outsiders moving here because of the Magnolia publicity to fill. Don't see that filled with Baylor students.
I think you would see a lot of alums and parents buying a place there. I would.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.