New Condo across from McLane would be Waco"s tallest building.

10,712 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Edmond Bear
Ghostrider
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CorsicanaBear said:

You are correct about the tornado. Three events have made Waco what it is today: The crash of king cotton/dust bowl, the tornado and the closing of Conally Airforce Base.
...and Branch DAvidians, if not even in Waco.
cowboycwr
Yogi said:

From the trib. Another pie in the sky project, it seems. But they do have renderings out.

Renderings don't mean much. Especially with Waco area projects. How many rendering shave there been over the last 20 years of the riverfront development? 5 or more I think. And one video I remember.
Calrocks94
This would be amazing if it happened for Waco. I think we're gonna see a lot more development and a lot more things happen in Waco. Once the Baylor Arena open and see how well that does I think a lot of business are going to want to be a part of Waco help build up both sides of the river.
boykin_spaniel
I think Waco should pass a zoning statute that no building shall be taller than the Alico building.

I live in Nashville and it is quite sad to see the Batman Building getting blotched out from skyline…
baylrballa
boykin_spaniel said:

I think Waco should pass a zoning statute that no building shall be taller than the Alico building.

I live in Nashville and it is quite sad to see the Batman Building getting blotched out from skyline…

I think Waco is safe.
boykin_spaniel
I kid. Waco is quite some years away from something of that size breaking ground and an eon away from multiple such projects. I'd start with some smaller condos
Moondoggie
Tiny Elvis said:

They are planning to bring back Po' Folks restaurant which will be on the 10th floor.

Po folks? Don't you mean," Salt Folks?"

Salty, bland garbage food. Good riddance.
Redbrickbear
boykin_spaniel said:

Austin should have done this with zoning to prevent any building taller than the Capitol building.

At least north of the Colorado river.
Coke Bear
Redbrickbear said:

boykin_spaniel said:

Austin should have done this with zoning to prevent any building taller than the Capitol building.

At least north of the Colorado river.
Someone with more knowledge may be able to confirm or deny; however, I believe that a significant portion of that area was zoned like that for decades. It it was, it have obviously been changed.

boykin_spaniel
Don't have knowledge of Austin zoning but wouldn't doubt it. Most cities have strict zoning laws until the right pockets are lined. Know of a guy whose main job at a company is to make sure the right people receive Christmas and birthday gifts so they can get the
proper votes to get projects off the ground.
Yogi
boykin_spaniel said:

Nah, that's bad legislation and really intrudes on private property rights.

Philadelphia used to have a similar ordinance but eventually had to give it up.

You can't stand in the way of progress because of nostalgia or aesthetics.

The ALICO has been standing for 113 years. It may have 100 years left before it will be demolished and replaced because maintenance costs on the old skyscraper are going to continually soar.

Waco is not progressive enough culturally or economically that a building taller than 9 stories will be built in the city anytime soon. Waco still has horizontal real estate available, and Waco is surrounded by a 100 mile radius that includes 4 faster growing metropolitan areas than Waco: Austin, Killeen-Temple, D/FW, and Bryan-College Station. All four of those markets are way outpacing Waco when it comes to both population and economic growth.

Still, provided that Waco ever does join that growth spirt, you still might have high rise demand in the future. If that happens, why settle for an ugly building from 1910 that no longer can compete in the office market? And the ALICO is not the most attractive building in the world. It does have some clever architectural touches, but most of the building is bland, khaki, and all the beautiful original facade-work was covered up and destroyed by the 1962 make-over.

Honestly, Waco's skyline could use some more character - and a building as tall or taller than the ALICO so it doesn't look like Waco is "flicking you off" when you come through town.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
T-REX
Yogi said:

boykin_spaniel said:

The ALICO has been standing for 113 years. It may have 100 years left before it will be demolished and replaced because maintenance costs on the old skyscraper are going to continually soar.

Waco is not progressive enough culturally or economically that a building taller than 9 stories will be built in the city anytime soon. Waco still has horizontal real estate available, and Waco is surrounded by a 100 mile radius that includes 4 faster growing metropolitan areas than Waco: Austin, Killeen-Temple, D/FW, and Bryan-College Station. All four of those markets are way outpacing Waco when it comes to both population and economic growth.

Still, provided that Waco ever does join that growth spirt, you still might have high rise demand in the future. If that happens, why settle for an ugly building from 1910 that no longer can compete in the office market? And the ALICO is not the most attractive building in the world. It does have some clever architectural touches, but most of the building is bland, khaki, and all the beautiful original facade-work was covered up and destroyed by the 1962 make-over.

Honestly, Waco's skyline could use some more character - and a building as tall or taller than the ALICO so it doesn't look like Waco is "flicking you off" when you come through town.
How much of the alico building is utilized?
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
cowboycwr
T-REX said:

Yogi said:

boykin_spaniel said:

How much of the alico building is utilized?
That was going to be my question. I thought I read once that the vast majority of the floors were unoccupied, several in a half finished refurbishing stage that never completed and just stopped.

I've always thought it would make a huge profit if even 1/4 of the building were turned into condos.
Bear1969
Before covid the building was highly utilized by the American Amicable Life Insurance Company and some other rented offices. Today a high percentage of the insurance employees are working remote which does create some vacant space.
BCL79
Bear1969 said:

Before covid the building was highly utilized by the American Amicable Life Insurance Company and some other rented offices. Today a high percentage of the insurance employees are working remote which does create some vacant space.
Yeah, as I recall, pre-covid it was pretty full. I had a guy slightly interested and we did a little digging around.
BUAL
Agree on all the points in here BUT having lived in Phoenix and now Austin the past 15 years, alot of the growth in both cities had a palpable feel in the early years. Walking around downtown Waco these days gives off some of that same feel. It is early and it growing off a small base but something is happening.
Ghostrider
Ghostrider said:

Jackson Bear said:

That looks like an Austin style project. That would take a lot of outsiders moving here because of the Magnolia publicity to fill. Don't see that filled with Baylor students.
I think you would see a lot of alums and parents buying a place there. I would.
Just about to like this post, but then realized I posted it.
whitetrash
Owners of this tract have a motion before City Council to abandon streets and rezone the tract in question. So this isn't dead yet.

baylorguy09
What people sometimes forget is that Austin is bursting at the seams, and living in Austin right now, is becoming more and more unaffordable every year.

I would put money on it to see some of the industry moving into Texas come to Waco soon as a way of not having to deal with the Austin or Dallas bureaucracy and the unaffordable cost of living. It is only a matter of time.

Someone mentioned Killeen-Temple area outpacing Waco, which I would disagree with. That area is too transient. My family lives in Temple area and it is not growing as fast as Waco is in regards to industry/commercial. Killeen, in particular, is not an area many visit unless you live there. As fast as things are moving in there, they are closing, too.

I think Waco has a bright future and I think it will be growing faster than you think. Having the second highest hotel occupancy rate in the state proves that it is a location that people want to visit/do business in.
baylorguy09
https://wacotrib.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/waco-zoning-plan-would-allow-30-story-skyscraper-on-brazos/article_b3fb6b5e-e2f0-11ed-827a-4788eca0c59f.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

Looks like it is moving forward… will be interesting to see if this happens.
Calrocks94
I'm all for it. I think you're gonna see a lot more development and businesses and stuff happening once the basketball facility is finished it's gonna atrack a lot of attention. 10 years from now by waco unrecognizable in a good way. Can't live in the past. You got to build Waco for the future.

Yogi
baylorguy09 said:

https://wacotrib.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/waco-zoning-plan-would-allow-30-story-skyscraper-on-brazos/article_b3fb6b5e-e2f0-11ed-827a-4788eca0c59f.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

Looks like it is moving forward… will be interesting to see if this happens.
I think it has now moved further than any of Dyson's ideas.
Blackjack Bear
If one shovel full of dirt is moved, then that's more than Dyson would have accomplished. And this development doe's appear to have legs.
Malbec
Bear1969 said:

I had an office that took up a good part of the 18th floor back in the mid-late 80's. Even at that time I don't think the building was much more than 60% occupied. It would be a shame to lose it, considering it is the oldest standing skyscraper in Texas.
Fat Daddy
Tiny Elvis said:

They are planning to bring back Po' Folks restaurant which will be on the 10th floor.

Think I read that 10% will be dedicated to po folks… so they will be three floors…

Social engineering!
Eleven-League Grant
Malbec said:

Bear1969 said:

I had an office that took up a good part of the 18th floor back in the mid-late 80's. Even at that time I don't think the building was much more than 60% occupied. It would be a shame to lose it, considering it is the oldest standing skyscraper in Texas.
All the talk here about the Alico Building made me curious as to whether it was still being actively leased and just what type of rates they'd want for space.

From their website:
Quote:

Our base rental fee is $1.32 sq. ft., with a minimum 1 year lease. Each floor has approximately 4,200 square feet.
That's certainly not expensive, but it does make me wonder if you have to commit to taking an entire floor.

They show a listing of tenants also, and it's dominated by American-Amicable and some attorneys.

I always thought (although it wouldn't be practical for my current business) that it would be neat to have an office in one of the upper floors of the Alico Building. Maybe that's because many years ago I had an office in the old Esperson Buildings in downtown Houston and thought those old buildings had a lot of character.
Yogi
Fat Daddy said:

Tiny Elvis said:

Think I read that 10% will be dedicated to po folks… so they will be three floors…

Social engineering!

Have to include the depency clssses so bribery can work in a democracy.
trey3216
Eleven-League Grant said:

Malbec said:

Bear1969 said:

All the talk here about the Alico Building made me curious as to whether it was still being actively leased and just what type of rates they'd want for space.

From their website:
Quote:

Our base rental fee is $1.32 sq. ft., with a minimum 1 year lease. Each floor has approximately 4,200 square feet.
That's certainly not expensive, but it does make me wonder if you have to commit to taking an entire floor.

They show a listing of tenants also, and it's dominated by American-Amicable and some attorneys.

I always thought (although it wouldn't be practical for my current business) that it would be neat to have an office in one of the upper floors of the Alico Building. Maybe that's because many years ago I had an office in the old Esperson Buildings in downtown Houston and thought those old buildings had a lot of character.

We had an office there about 7/8 years ago. It was about 1/2 of one floor. Really nice space with a mixture of updated floors/paint/trim and mid-century. We were on the 12th floor.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Redbrickbear
Yogi said:

Fat Daddy said:

Tiny Elvis said:

Social engineering!

Have to include the depency clssses so bribery can work in a democracy.

One might make the argument that democracy is just bribery.

"Our form of democracy is bribery, on the highest scale."

Gore Vidal
Edmond Bear

Ran across this note in a Waco Trib story today on a development in Waco;

"Cromwell confirmed the individual listed as Waco Gateway LLC's agent, Govardhan Paka, is the same investor behind the idea for a 30-story East Waco planned unit development. That development, now capped at 20 stories, is in the financing process, he said."

Sounds like it is still in the works.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.