Beat Chips n Salsa in Waco?

7,531 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by Biscuits_and_Gravy
Edmond Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wacoan Magazine has it as:
1- El Conquistador
2 - Hecho in Waco
3 - La Fiesta

I'm partial to Wacool Tacos chips cause I like 'em thick. What say you?

CTbruin
El Con #1 with me!

Dine there every Monday evening
Grumpy
I actually really like Ninfa's warm salsa.
BaylorHistory
1.) Hecho's bean dip
2.) Valles (ask for the green sauce)
3.) Ninfas
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
MrGolfguy
OTB and its not close

(let the roasting begin)
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
CTbruin
Please join us any Monday around 6

In the bar area
SteamedHams
MrGolfguy said:

OTB and its not close

(let the roasting begin)
I'll give OTB on the chips, so long as they are fresh. Because I've certainly had some that had been left out for a bit and its like biting into a slice of pita bread.

That said, they have Coke Zero as a fountain drink and that always earns extra points with me. And the Southwest Chicken Tacos are the absolute best thing on their menu.
Edmond Bear
MrGolfguy said:

OTB and its not close

(let the roasting begin)

OTB is our salsa of choice at the hacienda but I like sweet and chunky.

loanbear
Edmond Bear said:

Wacoan Magazine has it as:
1- El Conquistador
2 - Hecho in Waco
3 - La Fiesta

I'm partial to Wacool Tacos chips cause I like 'em thick. What say you?

Ninfas green sauce is the bomb.
CTbruin
We went to OTB as El Con was closed for New Year's.

And OTB was awful. Very slow service and bad food. Not going back.
4th and Inches
La Fiesta doesnt belong on any salsa list.. tasted like dollar store brand picante sauce
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Coke Bear
4th and Inches said:

La Fiesta doesnt belong on any salsa list.. tasted like dollar store brand picante sauce
We'll have to agree to disagree. Sometimes it might be too watery, but I like the flavor and the heat along the Scoville Scale. I really like when they used Jesse's Tortilla chips, but they switch brands since the fire. The current brand they are using is a little thicker, but my family like them.

I also enjoy the chips and salsa at both Poco Loco and Ninfa's.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Out in left field here but I like Chuys hatch for my chips. They bring out a salsa and jalapeno ranch but if you ask they will bring a bowl of hatch out for your chips. Chips are thick enough to handle lots of salsa so they are ok.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
SteamedHams
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

Out in left field here but I like Chuys hatch for my chips. They bring out a salsa and jalapeno ranch but if you ask they will bring a bowl of hatch out for your chips. Chips are thick enough to handle lots of salsa so they are ok.

I have probably consumed a 55 liter drum's worth of creamy jalapeño sauce in my lifetime.
One-Eyed Wheeler
i don't like to beat my chips and salsa
OsoCoreyell
Chuys
Alf
Something about Chuys salsa is truly addicting. The rest of their menu i find fair to midland but that salsa is very tasty.
WacoKelly83
El Crucero Green salsa
baylrballa
HEB
Bexar Pitts
Years ago when my daughter played softball, we always loved to play tournaments at the complex down in South Austin on Barton Springs Road..The original Chuy's was right across the street..Think it's still there..Salsa was awesome..Hate to say that I've never eaten at the Waco location...Our local favorite is,and has been, Ted's El Con..
Yogi
Never count out Trujillo's.

SteamedHams
Yogi said:

Never count out Trujillo's.

People sleep on their breakfast...its superb and available all day.
william

Quote:

try la cabana - out by the mall.

- kkm
>>Carve away the stone (Sisyhpus)
Carve away the stone
Make a graven image
With some features of your own<<
4th and Inches
william said:

Quote:

try la cabana - out by the mall.

- kkm
hope you own a Dalorean that goes at least 88mph
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
william
4th and Inches said:

sunrise sauce or sundown sauce or whatever it is............

- KKM

PA.

LF is the fajita place.

They should just change the name to Casa de Fajita de Huaco con las Golondrinas del Mariachi de Chiapas.

>>Carve away the stone (Sisyhpus)
Carve away the stone
Make a graven image
With some features of your own<<
Edmond Bear
william said:

4th and Inches said:

sunrise sauce or sundown sauce or whatever it is............

- KKM

PA.

LF is the fajita place.

They should just change the name to Casa de Fajita de Huaco con las Golondrinas del Mariachi de Chiapas.

If Fiesta has a mariachi band, I'm in. I don't care how watered down the sauce is.
BCL79
SteamedHams said:

MrGolfguy said:

OTB and its not close

(let the roasting begin)
I'll give OTB on the chips, so long as they are fresh. Because I've certainly had some that had been left out for a bit and its like biting into a slice of pita bread.

That said, they have Coke Zero as a fountain drink and that always earns extra points with me. And the Southwest Chicken Tacos are the absolute best thing on their menu.
Not to derail ... but my bride and I are both addicted to Coke Zero. And when Coke did the flavor change a year or so ago we just about came unglued. I even wrote an angry letter to the idiots at Coke. Alas, I lost the fight over a return to the "original" recipe. I even brought up the scam of "new Coke" back in the day all to no avail.
Anyway we kept drinking the swill till now ... we can barely remember that marvelous taste sensation.
SteamedHams
BCL79 said:

SteamedHams said:

MrGolfguy said:

OTB and its not close

(let the roasting begin)

Not to derail ... but my bride and I are both addicted to Coke Zero. And when Coke did the flavor change a year or so ago we just about came unglued. I even wrote an angry letter to the idiots at Coke. Alas, I lost the fight over a return to the "original" recipe. I even brought up the scam of "new Coke" back in the day all to no avail.
Anyway we kept drinking the swill till now ... we can barely remember that marvelous taste sensation.

Harder to find and never on fountain drink menus, but the real hidden gem is Cherry Coke Zero
4th and Inches
SteamedHams said:

BCL79 said:

SteamedHams said:

MrGolfguy said:

OTB and its not close

(let the roasting begin)

Harder to find and never on fountain drink menus, but the real hidden gem is Cherry Coke Zero
mini cans from HEB.. what guilty pleasure!(my body seems to hate carbonated drinks, even just plain carbonated water)

–Horace

trey3216
Alf said:

Something about Chuys salsa is truly addicting. The rest of their menu i find fair to middling but that salsa is very tasty.
Chuy's salsa is watery pico. I hate it and hate going there because of it.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
4th and Inches
trey3216 said:

Alf said:

Something about Chuys salsa is truly addicting. The rest of their menu i find fair to middling but that salsa is very tasty.
its actually called salsa fresca.. it goes great as an addition on many dishes but I agree that it isnt as good as salsa roja with chips.

Side note for the locals- The little gas station in west, buds tiger stop, has great salsa roja with their breakfast burritos.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Chili's for a chain.

El Con for family.

Hecho is above average.
BaylorGuy314
On the border by a long shot
BaylorGuy314
trey3216 said:

Alf said:

Agreed. It's pico de gallo being pawned off as a salsa.
4th and Inches
BaylorGuy314 said:

trey3216 said:

Alf said:

Agreed. It's pico de gallo being pawned off as a salsa.
pico

Salsa fresca
Salsa roja
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.