Beat Chips n Salsa in Waco?

7,511 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Biscuits_and_Gravy
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BaylorGuy314 said:

trey3216 said:

Alf said:

Something about Chuys salsa is truly addicting. The rest of their menu i find fair to middling but that salsa is very tasty.
Chuy's salsa is watery pico. I hate it and hate going there because of it.
Agreed. It's pico de gallo being pawned off as a salsa.
Whatever you want to call it, it is delicious and always freshly made.
FirmBear24
Like several of those mentioned. I'll add Huaco Eatery, which is expanding from Union Hall to its own place on University Parks. Downside is you had to buy them at Union Hall. Hope that changes at their place. They also have killed pozole.
T-REX
FirmBear24 said:

Like several of those mentioned. I'll add Huaco Eatery, which is expanding from Union Hall to its own place on University Parks. Downside is you had to buy them at Union Hall. Hope that changes at their place. They also have killed pozole.
what is the downside?
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
FirmBear24
T-REX said:

FirmBear24 said:

what is the downside?
The downside is you pay about $4 for chips and salsa instead of getting them complimentary like you would at most other Tex-Mex places, which makes your meal more expensive.
T-REX
FirmBear24 said:

T-REX said:

FirmBear24 said:

what is the downside?
The downside is you pay about $4 for chips and salsa instead of getting them complimentary like you would at most other Tex-Mex places, which makes your meal more expensive.
Ah well I'd attribute that to the union hall location being essentially a food truck. You won't find one of those that gives you chips for free. It's just not the same as a dine in place. I'm sire their brick and mortar spot will have them for free tho
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
FirmBear24
T-REX said:

FirmBear24 said:

T-REX said:

FirmBear24 said:

what is the downside?
Ah well I'd attribute that to the union hall location being essentially a food truck. You won't find one of those that gives you chips for free. It's just not the same as a dine in place. I'm sire their brick and mortar spot will have them for free tho

Agreed. That is my hope as well.
Grimm
Maybe I'm just picky or trashy, but I love the salsa from semi chain Taqueria Mexicano Bar and Grill #xyz.... It is pretty spicy, thick enough without being chunky, and has good flavor. Most places in Waco just have watery diced tomato stuff. I do like cilantro, and theirs is pretty heavy with it so ymmv.
SoonerFrogs
No mention of Leal's. That's a shame.
Coke Bear
SoonerFrogs said:

Maybe I'm missing something here. I hear many brag about this place. I haven't been in more than 15 years, but the last time I was there I got Enchiladas. They looked and tasted like they were topped with Wolf brand chili.

I wasn't too impressed.
SoonerFrogs
This thread is about chips and salsa.
Coke Bear
SoonerFrogs said:

This thread is about chips and salsa.
Sorry. I guess my point is that the food may not justify me retrying the chips and salsa.
PartyBear
Coke Bear said:

SoonerFrogs said:

Maybe I'm missing something here. I hear many brag about this place. I haven't been in more than 15 years, but the last time I was there I got Enchiladas. They looked and tasted like they were topped with Wolf brand chili.

I wasn't too impressed.
I have never had anything there but breakfast, which I do recommend.
FirmBear24
https://www.kcentv.com/article/life/people/living-american-dream/500-0ac7ffc3-019b-495f-a1ee-06ea06bbf370?mibextid=tejx2t&fbclid=IwAR1irwERLeP3mbYhYxSIFF9byd2CXhOrFr15KXn6410GHjwA-N5eQ6rlUXQ#le797uk41qsu93eu8yc

Good story about Leal's. I've been going there for decades, even when I could only ride my bike. Love their green and red salsa.
Robert Wilson
Coke Bear said:

SoonerFrogs said:

Well, neighbor, that's too long.
SoonerFrogs
FirmBear24 said:

https://www.kcentv.com/article/life/people/living-american-dream/500-0ac7ffc3-019b-495f-a1ee-06ea06bbf370?mibextid=tejx2t&fbclid=IwAR1irwERLeP3mbYhYxSIFF9byd2CXhOrFr15KXn6410GHjwA-N5eQ6rlUXQ#le797uk41qsu93eu8yc

Good story about Leal's. I've been going there for decades, even when I could only ride my bike. Love their green and red salsa.
April of this year will be 30 years. Used to roll down there while working the counter at Sport Section. RIP Jim and Ray.
FirmBear24
Man, I used to spend a lot of time in Sports Section. There was a Bankston's off Estates briefly.
SoonerFrogs
FirmBear24 said:

Man, I used to spend a lot of time in Sports Section. There was a Bankston's off Estates briefly.
But what was the name of the hockey place between SS and Leals?
FirmBear24
SoonerFrogs said:

FirmBear24 said:

But what was the name of the hockey place between SS and Leals?

Pucks and Stuff, I think. Bought hockey pants and a helmet there for roller hockey at Skate N Place and Skate World.
SSadler
El Chico for chips and dip.

#livininthepast
Moondoggie
SSadler said:

El Chico for chips and dip.

#livininthepast

Now that we have filled up on chips, when are they bringing the sopapillas and cinnamon butter for dessert.
joseywales
Mexicano grill in hewitt
TechDawgMc
The answer to best Mexican or best Tex-Mex would be different, but best chips-n-salsa in Waco does go to On the Border. Their chips are very good and the salsa is well mixed.

OTOH, I love Chuy's but won't even touch their salsa. The creamy jalapeno and the queso are addicting, but the salsa isn't my thing.
trey3216
TechDawgMc said:

The answer to best Mexican or best Tex-Mex would be different, but best chips-n-salsa in Waco does go to On the Border. Their chips are very good and the salsa is well mixed.

OTOH, I love Chuy's but won't even touch their salsa. The creamy jalapeno and the queso are addicting, but the salsa isn't my thing.

Chili's has better chips and salsa than OTB and Chuy's. Get serious.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
4th and Inches
trey3216 said:

TechDawgMc said:

sadly, you are correct that Chilis chips and salsa is good. The down vote for me is that charge for it where the others are free
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
TechDawgMc
trey3216 said:

TechDawgMc said:

Chips aren't even close. The salsa you could make an argument. As 4th and inches pointed out, though, since they charge for them, they aren't really in the competition.
trey3216
TechDawgMc said:

trey3216 said:

TechDawgMc said:

Chips aren't even close. The salsa you could make an argument. As 4th and inches pointed out, though, since they charge for them, they aren't really in the competition.
I have no qualms paying for chips & salsa. Expecting a meal or day's worth of calories as a birthright doesn't calculate into my decision making.
SoonerFrogs
everyone knocking Chuys obviously has never asked for the table sauce, which is much better than the pico fresca.
SteamedHams
trey3216 said:

TechDawgMc said:

Chilis salsa can't even hold the jockstrap of Chuy's creamy jalapeño.
trey3216
SteamedHams said:

trey3216 said:

TechDawgMc said:

Chilis salsa can't even hold the jockstrap of Chuy's creamy jalapeño.

Creamy jalapeño isn't salsa, so it doesn't matter
BaylorHistory
I'll add Maria's Mezcaleria to the list. It might've been all the mezcal, but I thought their chips and salsa was great. Also, we got the elote as an appetizer so the corn on corn chips was great too.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Edmond Bear
BaylorHistory said:

I'll add Maria's Mezcaleria to the list. It might've been all the mezcal, but I thought their chips and salsa was great. Also, we got the elote as an appetizer so the corn on corn chips was great too.

We're there a couple of weekends ago. Chips and salsa were great. Assuming they share a supplier with Hecho.
FirmBear24
Edmond Bear said:

BaylorHistory said:

We're there a couple of weekends ago. Chips and salsa were great. Assuming they share a supplier with Hecho.

Same family
Biscuits_and_Gravy
Working my way through the Waco list and ended up at Sergio's last night. I'm on the fence regarding the chips, but the salsa was a hit with us.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.